• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

As you you have also stated, I felt that the issue of pressing was fair game since Scott had brought it up in his original message. I just felt that to not comment on it would be viewed by CGC as tacit agreement of their viewpoint.

I guess if everybody took the same approach as you did, CGC would be able to rightfully claimed that an overwhelming majority of the respondents was in full agreement with their viewpoint that pressing is not restoration. 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gifforeheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Fair point!

Perhaps we can even finally answer the question whether buyers really are so stupid that just because a restored book is in a blue label they will suddenly start paying full unrestored prices for it

Of course this will not work!

Matter of fact it will have the opposite effect that cgc was trying to manipulate.

Collectors will be scrutinizing restored books all the more because now we have to look that much harder to distinguish them.[ill bet the gap grows between restored and unrestored even under the new label.

Whats really unfair about all of this is that even EXTENSIVELY restored books are going to get a blue label now! I can understand a book with a dot of color being treated unfairly buy a plod and maybe should get a blue label, but why on earth reward an ext restored book with a blue label? You cant manipulate the market[well not in the long term anyway] which you are about to find out.

Perhaps we can even finally answer the question whether buyers really are so stupid that just because a restored book is in a blue label they will suddenly start paying full unrestored prices for it

A1K;

I don't remember anybody EXCEPT FOR YOU saying that restored book would be going for full unrestored prices.

I beleive what was said was that SLIGHTLY RESTORED books would not be stigmized to the extent that they would be treated value wise like extensively restored frankenbooks and selling for mere fractions to guide.

Big difference between this and what you are claiming from your statement.

A1K;

I don't remember anybody EXCEPT FOR YOU saying that restored book would be going for full unrestored prices.

I beleive what was said was that SLIGHTLY RESTORED books would not be stigmized to the extent that they would be treated value wise like extensively restored frankenbooks and selling for mere fractions to guide.

Big difference between this and what you are claiming from your statement.

thumbsup2.gif

That was not my statement.I pasted it from another post.

What i am saying is the that the blue label for ALL books will[ increase] the price discrepency between unrestored and restored books.It will have the opposite effect of its intent.[For the reasons mentioned in the previous post.

If an increase in information causes restored books to diminish in value, that's fine. At least the change is the result of an increased awareness and knowledge among collectors, and not the result of a stigma against them.

But I think you're flat wrong. There will either be no change, or a slight to moderate increase in interest towards restored books.

On the contrary,I think i am right. It is my opinion and thats all it is at this point in time.Time will prove who was correct.

If i may ask,what is your exact diffenition of a Frankenbook? It varies from collector to collector and i would be interested in an interpretation from a seasoned collecter like yourself.

If i may ask,what is your exact diffenition of a Frankenbook? It varies from collector to collector and i would be interested in an interpretation from a seasoned collecter like yourself.

I've recently seen some board members use the term to describe anything restored, but for me it has always referred to a book with a married cover or married interior wraps.