• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 27 on Ebay. $3000000!
5 5

48 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2022 at 4:07 AM, Daveb25 said:

I think he’s talking about the extensive restored that just sold for almost $300k on clink, but what’s an extra zero between friends.

Oops. Thanks, my mistake. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:19 PM, Gotham Kid said:

when an extensive restored Tec27 hits 300k, that ship has sailed for a LOT of us sadly ...

On 3/5/2022 at 10:24 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I think the guy wants 3mill.  :shiftyeyes:

I am kind of thinking along the lines of Gotham Kid. What is the difference between a 7.0 restored and a 9.6 extensive restored? Not price-wise, but actual restoration wise.

Couldn't the 7.0 be worked up to look more like a 9.6? Most restorers stop as they approach the line that the book will be more paint than book, but the frankenbook people obviously don't. How much more work would it take to keep painting those 7.0 blemishes away so you have a very very extensive 9.6?

On 3/5/2022 at 11:37 PM, Crowzilla said:

I am kind of thinking along the lines of Gotham Kid. What is the difference between a 7.0 restored and a 9.6 extensive restored? Not price-wise, but actual restoration wise.

Couldn't the 7.0 be worked up to look more like a 9.6? Most restorers stop as they approach the line that the book will be more paint than book, but the frankenbook people obviously don't. How much more work would it take to keep painting those 7.0 blemishes away so you have a very very extensive 9.6?

Today you can virtually buy a 100% reproduction1969 Camaro with no original/vintage parts, If I use 99% repro parts including modern engine & put an original 1969 steering wheel on it is it an original 69 Camaro? Now if I have a 99% all original Camaro and replace the steering wheel are both cars the same?..... Hell no! To me the Frankie books are 1970's DC Treasury books with a few original parts glued on. Shame because some very rare/key books or book parts got f#cked up in the process. The asking price is a joke.

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 3/6/2022 at 4:37 AM, Crowzilla said:

The whole deal is a moot point for most of us. As someone who does not collect for investment, if I were offered a 9.6 Tec 27 restored up to the hilt, or one that was a down to earth 2.0 with nothing done to it...that is the one I would like to own.....personally. 

On 3/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

The whole deal is a moot point for most of us. As someone who does not collect for investment, if I were offered a 9.6 Tec 27 restored up to the hilt, or one that was a down to earth 2.0 with nothing done to it...that is the one I would like to own.....personally. 

Agreed. But asking price not withstanding, the 2.0 is the more valuable (and easier to sell) item.

The question now appears to be, how much value does a super key lose if it is restored? for sure we are about to see a coverless Tec 27 break the six figure barrier. And we just saw a 7.0 restored sell for less than $300K. But a 2.0 unrestored is fast approaching (if not already) a million bucks (the 3.0 Action #1 was $1.4 million, so a 2.0 of either should be very close). So why is the 7.0 restored valued (in theory) less than a 1.0? In the 80s and early 90s when restoration started to become the "in" thing, the theory was that a restored book was worth about halfway between the value of what it started life as and what it appeared to be after resto. Then the valuation switched to the value of an unrestored copy plus the cost of work done, but for sure (as relates to mega keys) the value now takes a hit compared to the unrestored copy.

Look at the #woowoo copy. He had a nice solid low grade unrestored. 100% guaranteed if it was still untouched it would be $500K or more in the marketplace, but since he had it restored, he would now be lucky to get around the $300K the last copy just auctioned for? That's silly, but it seems to be reality right now. It's the same for Batman #1 and Superman #1, you can't buy a Supey 1 in 1.0 for under $100K, and probably a Bat 1 in 1.5 for 100K, but it's still pretty rare to hear of any restored copy hitting six figures - even though most of them started out in the 2.0 range or so