• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Boys Homelander takes his role too seriously?

13 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2022 at 7:38 PM, Sauce Dog said:

How many of us know him 'in real life'?

Well after watching the Boys I looked him up on youtube seeing if he was crazy like the show.  He seemed really laid back and a little awkward/funny.  Everyone was commenting how they couldn't believe it was the same guy

I guess it was just a facade

On 3/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, Wolverinex said:

Well after watching the Boys I looked him up on youtube seeing if he was crazy like the show.  He seemed really laid back and a little awkward/funny.  Everyone was commenting how they couldn't believe it was the same guy

I guess it was just a facade

I would recommend anyone not base any strong opinions on a celebrity from their other media appearances, they have PR teams for a reason - even for casual stuff like YouTube - to vet such things, and has been the case to put on a difference face for the public going back to the golden age (Oliver Hardy was a jolly guy in the public eye, but we all know now what kind of person he was, or even Mel Gibson..or..etc). People get attached to an 'idea' of what a celebrity is without actually knowing em, and will often defend them based on this imaginary construct (people saying 'he was such a nice guy' is the most common refrain of those faced with abuse allegations. If we had a nickel for every time we heard that, well...).

Not saying that is the case with you though or calling you out for anything, I'm just commenting on the general response most fans give when a favourite of theirs ends up doing something awful.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I would recommend anyone not base any strong opinions on a celebrity from their other media appearances, they have PR teams for a reason - even for casual stuff like YouTube - to vet such things, and has been the case to put on a difference face for the public going back to the golden age (Oliver Hardy was a jolly guy in the public eye, but we all know now what kind of person he was, or even Mel Gibson..or..etc). People get attached to an 'idea' of what a celebrity is without actually knowing em, and will often defend them based on this imaginary construct (people saying 'he was such a nice guy' is the most common refrain of those faced with abuse allegations. If we had a nickel for every time we heard that, well...).

Not saying that is the case with you though or calling you out for anything, I'm just commenting on the general response most fans give when a favourite of theirs ends up doing something awful.

I get what you are saying.  I'm don't really have a strong opinion on him,  and honestly don't really care. I was just surprised because his youtube videos gave me the impression that he was kinda of a dork and nothing like the character he played.  Maybe he is just an excellent method actor or he really is just a p rick.  (shrug)

In reading the Variety article that researched the case (and being quoted by other reporting sites) Starr's suspended sentence was because he has no other criminal records or related cases.

Not sure what this young cook may have said that led to this ugly situation. But 4 stitches and a $5K fine doesn't sound like the evil crime of the century where now he must be shunned by society.

The cook being quoted out of court also is based on his emotional state after the altercation. Reporting sites are most probably trying to get access to those records.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:43 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Why are we assuming it was the victims fault they were assaulted?

Why would a cook have to come out to a table in order to speak with a patron? That's what the wait staff are for, right?

Maybe there was a complaint about the food served, and the cook came out taking offense to the feedback. We just don't know yet. But a fight shouldn't have been the end result, no matter the situation.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

Why would a cook have to come out to a table in order to speak with a patron? That's what the wait staff are for, right?

Maybe there was a complaint about the food served, and the cook came out taking offense to the feedback. We just don't know yet. But a fight shouldn't have been the end result, no matter the situation.

Lots of reasons, off the top of my head I know that personally wait staff typically leave before the back staff close up for the night, it isn't uncommon for my bartender or line cook friends (the cook being in Mexico, so it has gotten rough at his place) to be the ones who have had to usher out 'late' staying guests who are now holding up the closing of the entire venue (either regulars who have earned the chance to stay, or celebrity guests who are afforded the extra time after the public is made to leave).

It's true we don't know the fulls story but you phrased it as it being the cooks fault, when in this case we have a man who has pled guilty of assault. He smashed a bottle on someones face. Antony is a violent drunk - full stop. That's what we call people his age that get drunk and start bar fights with an employee less than half his age when asked to leave. Guess how many people my drunk butt has assaulted with a smashed bottle when asked to leave a bar...zero. 

Related though, this incident did make me recall the time that during a Boys interview (I recall during season 1) he was unanimously pointed to by the rest of the cast when they were all asked "Who acts the most like their character in real life?" - Even joking you could tell there might be some truth to that to have all the cast pick him, and this event now has me think of that interview in a whole new light.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 3/7/2022 at 8:40 AM, Sauce Dog said:

It's true we don't know the fulls story but you phrased it as it being the cooks fault, when in this case we have a man who has pled guilty of assault.

Read again:

On 3/7/2022 at 5:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Not sure what this young cook may have said that led to this ugly situation.

In other words, something was said that set off Antony Starr. Relevant or not, the cook came out to speak with him and it led to this situation. And I even noted no matter what, it still didn't justice the beating that took place.

He smashed a bottle on someones face. Antony is a violent drunk - full stop.

I get you may feel like fans get lost in celebrity worship to the point they dismiss bad to horrible behavior (I agree in many ways). But now you may be treading into perception territory, as even the court noted he had no prior charges nor behavior to justify sending him to prison. Read the article. Any of the articles. They all note this.

Related though, this incident did make me recall the time that during a Boys interview (I recall during season 1) he was unanimously pointed to by the rest of the cast when they were all asked "Who acts the most like their character in real life?" - Even joking you could tell there might be some truth to that to have all the cast pick him, and this event now has me think of that interview in a whole new light.

I remember that. The other part of the cast all pointed to Karl Urban. They also noted Karen Fukuhara was the scariest. So that means she is tossing people around bars?

They also noted Antony Starr would encourage a hangout of the cast after work. So that would mean someone that likes to hang out with people.

I respect you have an opinion. Meanwhile, these are the other opinions to reflect on. :foryou:

On 3/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, Bosco685 said:

Read again:

In other words, something was said that set off Antony Starr. Relevant or not, the cook came out to speak with him and it led to this situation. And I even noted no matter what, it still didn't justice the beating that took place.

I get you may feel like fans get lost in celebrity worship to the point they dismiss bad to horrible behavior (I agree in many ways). But now you may be treading into perception territory, as even the court noted he had no prior charges nor behavior to justify sending him to prison. Read the article. Any of the articles. They all note this.

I remember that. The other part of the cast all pointed to Karl Urban. They also noted Karen Fukuhara was the scariest. So that means she is tossing people around bars?

They also noted Antony Starr would encourage a hangout of the cast after work. So that would mean someone that likes to hang out with people.

I respect you have an opinion. Meanwhile, these are the other opinions to reflect on. :foryou:

Yeah I don't put much stock in the interviews showing the 'true nature' of any celebrity, just that it makes reflecting on it a little different now in hindsight :D

Regardless of instigation, if one becomes violent when drunk, the only responsible course of action is to not become drunk. Glassing someone is also supremely crappy behaviour and beyond just a pub brawl and is the reason I am hesitant to think this is a one-off event (especially with what he was apparently yelling). If you are in your 40s you should know how to handle your alcohol by now and is a standard I hold everybody to, celebrities and star-struck fans alike.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:03 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah I don't put much stock in the interviews showing the 'true nature' of any celebrity, just that it makes reflecting on it a little different now in hindsight :D

Regardless of instigation, if one becomes violent when drunk, the only responsible course of action is to not become drunk. Glassing someone is also supremely crappy behaviour and beyond just a pub brawl and is the reason I am hesitant to think this is a one-off event (especially with what he was apparently yelling). If you are in your 40s you should know how to handle your alcohol by now and is a standard I hold everybody to, celebrities and star-struck fans alike.

I'm with you in that I have never found a reason in life to ever get drunk like that. And certainly not violent. No matter if police or court actions were required afterwards (crazy to reflect on that).

It would be interesting what truly took place between them, which the court must have heard. Maybe even Antony Starr complained about the food, and the cook came back with a comment about it tasting like his mother. We just don't know.

:cheers: