• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I need to learn to grade all over again
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Hand me any book Golden age through bronze and I can grade it as well as CGC.  I even know how much “golden age bump” to add.  I’m not bragging because I know there are a bunch of you can do the same. 

But modern books are something else entirely. I feel I can grade the high end of the scale pretty well because it’s mostly about corners and near imperceptible bends. But when a modern book has actual significant wear like people were (gasp) reading their books, the grading scale seems to go all wonky.  What’s up with that?  Why does a 8.0 modern look like almost like a 9.2 bronze book?  The only way I can approach it is just grade like always and subtract a point. 

F70A3329-79CF-4794-8B42-BDA3F6141B75.png

Edited by Westy Steve

Moderns are graded differently. Different printing techniques determine that. But and this is based on what I see in the notes, a corner crunch is a handling issue. Was this present when the book was sent in?