• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about The Punisher's logo change...why?
4 4

195 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2022 at 8:19 PM, shadroch said:

Or....

Disney announces they will stop selling merchandise with a beloved logo, but gives the fans a few months to buy it.  Then they get to sell a new logo and eventually bring back the old one. Ka -ching.

Zero people are buying the new logo. Just sayin. 

I'm definitely pre-ordering at least the first few issues. Jason Aaron's previous work on the character was solid. The change of the uniform logo doesn't bother me any more than any other of the endless costume changes for other Marvel characters over the years.

I'm just glad they decided to lose the shiny brown vinyl trench coat. Frank's face on the action figure says it all.

punisherfigure.jpg

Edited by jdandns
added picture

On 3/12/2022 at 11:49 PM, jdandns said:

I'm definitely pre-ordering at least the first few issues. Jason Aaron's previous work on the character was solid. The change of the uniform logo doesn't bother me any more than any other of the endless costume changes for other Marvel characters over the years.

Oh I 100% pre-ordered issues - for less than $3 or whatever an issue, I figure it's worth it to take a shot , plus I want to see if the story ends up being any good.

Disclaimer:
Please do not introduce politics into the conversation.

A tale of two different but similar images.
Both comic related.
One directly tied to the discussion at hand.
One created / available for sale in 1979.
One available for sale in 2022.

I'd like to ask two questions:
Would Disney / Marvel publish the 1979 Black Panther image / story line updated for 2022 in print or movie form (WITHOUT creating a fictional Marvel version)? Why or why not?
Why hasn't Disney / Marvel (who alluded to a link between a flag and a group of people in 1979) allowed these products to be produced / distributed in 2022?

IMG_6186.jpg

NEW_Flag_TPunisher_Confedrate__97695.1599847769.jpg

Edited by Troy Division

I don't think there's a way to answer those questions or have that discussion without politics being front and center.  

Mainly because it's almost impossible for people who associate with that flag (minus the Punisher logo) to stand back and look at it objectively from a historical context and not the emotion or personal context they've put on it.  "It's just a flag."  Sure.  But it's also SO much more.  Same with the Punisher logo.  

1) I think they would.  It's not exactly bad press to :censored: off the Klan or Klan sympathizers.  

2) Not sure I'm understand the question because of "hasn't." If you meant "has", similar to what October was mentioning, it's impossible for Marvel to police every bozo selling bootleg merch on roadsides and flea markets. 

Edited by Beastfeast

On 3/13/2022 at 11:37 AM, Beastfeast said:

I don't think there's a way to answer those questions or have that discussion without politics being front and center.  

Mainly because it's almost impossible for people who associate with that flag (minus the Punisher logo) to stand back and look at it objectively from a historical context and not the emotion or personal context they've put on it.  "It's just a flag."  Sure.  But it's also SO much more.  Same with the Punisher logo.  

1) I think they would.  It's not exactly bad press to :censored: off the Klan or Klan sympathizers.  

2) Not sure I'm understand the question because of "hasn't." If you meant "has", similar to what October was mentioning, it's impossible for Marvel to police every bozo selling bootleg merch on roadsides and flea markets. 

Thank you for the response.
I agree with both your first statements.
Especially those that claim "it's just a flag" or "it is my heritage" without looking at the historical context.

re: #1 -
I agree to a limit.
Not sure they would (unless in a MAX title) be willing to print the flag in question (or any variant / inspired by it) and imply a link between the flag and a specific group of people.
I can foresee them using creative license to introduce the idea / theme but create a new flag / group in-house as to not 'upset' / 'shine a light' on any already established.
An example, would be how Hydra has stopped being a direct reference to nazis and using nazi imagery and created 'family friendly nazis' / iconography.

re: #2 -
Again, I agree to a limit.
Fighting against roadside / flea markets would be a losing game, just like bands fighting t-shirt sellers outside their shows.
BUT going after unlicensed products on Amazon or etsy or by using Google (how I found the website selling the flag) would easily shut them down.
Bring charges against a few or the vendors.
Set a precedent.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:37 AM, Beastfeast said:

Disney  will certainly try to shut down anyone selling it's products. They are notorious for it. 

I think the band Kiss could ask Marvel to change the logo used for the word "Klans" on that cover for any future printings. 

Disney didn't much care for this 1970 Lampoon cover, and they went after the Air Pirates underground comix around the same time, but after the famous Larry Flynt verdict later in the decade, there's been very little anyone can do about obvious parody ever since.

I'm sure Disney loves South Park's take on their CEO Mickey Mouse, haha...

nat6.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 2:01 PM, jdandns said:

They also cracked down on schools' showing their movies via VHS/DVD some years ago.

This is due to the fact they want them  to pay for specific copies that are made/licensed for those places.

20220103_192253.jpg

20220103_192327.jpg

20220103_192331.jpg

Never say those videos before, interesting.

I remember my elementary school showing us "The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band" with a film projector in the auditorium one year. I wonder if that was licensed. It would've been right around the time that VHS was about to be introduced. .

On 3/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, jdandns said:

Never say those videos before, interesting.

I remember my elementary school showing us "The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band" with a film projector in the auditorium one year. I wonder if that was licensed. It would've been right around the time that VHS was about to be introduced. .

They did use film reel as well as the combination sets that use film and audio cassettes. 

I will try to dig up some of mine and snap a picture.  

Disney used to be a LOT more involved in working with schools. 

The other issue with using standard vhs and dvd is those are actually only licensed for private use ( say it in warning at beginning of the videos with copyright disclosure)  This was much more of a problem during the height of video rental stores as most did not pay for the rental copies( Those use a Blue Plastic outer case) but back then it was between $39.99 - $69.99 for the standard home use VHS and the rental copies could run $300-400 . So most stores would purchase a home copy and illegally rent them out.  

Yeah...Disney has no problem at all with what they choose to 'shutdown'.
Which is why their silence on the 'unlicensed' use of the Punisher skull is deafening.

"Disney refuses grieving father’s request to put Spider-Man on son’s tombstone to preserve character’s ‘innocence’."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/spider-man-tombstone-marvel-disney-kent-ollie-jones-superhero-a8988336.html