• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes: canvasing
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2022 at 11:01 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

More than likely  as it seems like everyone thinks they are a presser these days.. :facepalm:

My original quote here 

Was then partially quoted here 

Was all meant in jest as my own choice when it come to having a book pressed already weighed in on this topic.  And my very first reply was showing the OP what canvassing is .

Oh I got all of that.

I was just teasing you.

It happens when you use the wrong type of backing boards when pressing. The BCW ones are fine, the other types typically have a pattern that presses into a comic book. I found that out the hard way the first time I ever tried to press comics on my own and used the mylite full backs that I had handy. It was a mistake I never repeated. 

The good news is that the pattern presses out really easily. I re-pressed the books after picking up some BCW boards and it completely removed the pattern. 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, B2D327 said:
On 3/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I remembered that name......bhhooks22.......

Anyone know what ever happened to him?

Galactus chose him as a herald

Understood.

With knockers like that, I was hoping he'd start posting again.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, Timely said:

I’m not sure why the word “canvassing” was made up to describe pebbling caused by a bad press. Just say pebbling!

I was confused by this myself since I've always known this defect as pebbling. I thought perhaps a grader was trying to differentiate between types of pressed-in patterns, but I suppose the more likely answer is that someone was unaware the term pebbling had been part of grading lexicon for a while.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 3/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Stefan_W said:

It happens when you use the wrong type of backing boards when pressing. The BCW ones are fine, the other types typically have a pattern that presses into a comic book. I found that out the hard way the first time I ever tried to press comics on my own and used the mylite full backs that I had handy. It was a mistake I never repeated. 

The good news is that the pattern presses out really easily. I re-pressed the books after picking up some BCW boards and it completely removed the pattern. 

I can't tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic.

On 3/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Stefan_W said:

Did you disclose this monkey business when  selling these books?

On 3/15/2022 at 7:01 AM, Pontoon said:
On 3/15/2022 at 4:48 AM, Timely said:

I’m not sure why the word “canvassing” was made up to describe pebbling caused by a bad press. Just say pebbling!

I was confused by this myself since I've always known this defect as pebbling. I thought perhaps a grader was trying to differentiate between types of pressed-in patterns, but I suppose the more likely answer is that someone was unaware the term pebbling had been part of grading lexicon for a while.

Canvassing sounds better after a few bong hits.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, Pontoon said:

Pebbling and canvassing are totally different in appearance. We now need a third term for those imprinting the pattern of backing boards into their books. 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, joeypost said:

Pebbling and canvassing are totally different in appearance. We now need a third term for those imprinting the pattern of backing boards into their books. 

(thumbsu Thanks and lol

On 3/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, joeypost said:

"Noobing"?