• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers Annual # 10
4 4

13 posts in this topic

I looked at about 3 dozen + copies of this issue on eBay and didn't see similar fading. It looks like sun fading to me. Likely another book was on top of it slightly askew. That's why you see it along the spine and top edge. There appears to be sight yellowing on the back cover as well along the corresponding edges of this copy.

I'd call the fade minor+/moderate-. It doesn't effect the entire cover but it's significant where it does.

7.5 thereabouts.

Thanks for sharing.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, grendelbo said:

I looked at about 3 dozen + copies of this issue on eBay and didn't see similar fading. It looks like sun fading to me. Likely another book was on top of it slightly askew. That's why you see it along the spine and top edge. There appears to be sight yellowing on the back cover as well along the corresponding edges of this copy.

I'd call the fade minor+/moderate-. It doesn't effect the entire cover but it's significant where it does.

7.5 thereabouts.

Thanks for sharing.

Like this on on Ebay. It have similar fading also. image.png.665612e15e1a17ffb600ed72d9dd68a0.png

On 3/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, Jeremy Truong said:

Like this on on Ebay. It have similar fading also. image.png.665612e15e1a17ffb600ed72d9dd68a0.png

I looked at slabs last night. Most were high grade and none had this fade. Saw a couple raws today with this issue. Dunno. If it's manufacturing-related then it needs to be common for CGC to give it a pass. Right?

Maybe these guys can help.

@zzutak

@The Lions Den

@joeypost

Based on what I see here the book may have been stored in a box without being bagged and boarded. I see a dust shadow on the back and what seems to be mild fading of the colors on the top edge of the front cover. Maybe it was in contact with sunlight with just the top edge visible resulting in the fading. 

Not 100% sure on this as the black ink seems very vibrant in those areas. Maybe an issue with the plate. These are two scenarios I can see. 

In my opinion, the oxidation halo on the back cover makes exposure to light the most likely reason for the fading seen along the spine and top edge.  As a general rule, red ink tends to degrade/fade more rapidly than black.  Although photochemistry is an uber-technical subject, a few of the explanations offered in this thread are pretty easy to grasp.

The "sun fade" theory seems the most plausible to me. 

It's pretty unusual to see a manufacturing problem affect just the edge of the cover in this manner. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's much easier for me to accept the idea that the book wasn't stored properly and it caused the edge of that brilliant red cover to fade a bit... :whistle:

On 3/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, joeypost said:

Based on what I see here the book may have been stored in a box without being bagged and boarded. I see a dust shadow on the back and what seems to be mild fading of the colors on the top edge of the front cover. Maybe it was in contact with sunlight with just the top edge visible resulting in the fading. 

Not 100% sure on this as the black ink seems very vibrant in those areas. Maybe an issue with the plate. These are two scenarios I can see. 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, zzutak said:

In my opinion, the oxidation halo on the back cover makes exposure to light the most likely reason for the fading seen along the spine and top edge.  As a general rule, red ink tends to degrade/fade more rapidly than black.  Although photochemistry is an uber-technical subject, a few of the explanations offered in this thread are pretty easy to grasp.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:55 AM, The Lions Den said:

The "sun fade" theory seems the most plausible to me. 

It's pretty unusual to see a manufacturing problem affect just the edge of the cover in this manner. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's much easier for me to accept the idea that the book wasn't stored properly and it caused the edge of that brilliant red cover to fade a bit... :whistle:

BTW.

They have spoken.

(worship)