• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre screen for slabbed comic

2 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a star wars #1 in a cgc 9.6. Looking it over I see 3 small spine ticks that are non color breaking. I think a press could get rid of those and hopefully bring it up to a 9.8. I read on a blog post that cgc offers this kind of pre screen. Can you give me some details on the fee for the pre screen and then the cost of the pressing if cgc determines it will help the grade? Is this service part of the service that requires a 25 book minimum? If it is determined a press could help it, would I then pay the 3% fee of the FMV for a 9.8 if it is regraded as 9.8? Just trying to look at what the total cost might be. Also my last question is if there is any possibility that the comic could grade lower. I would think if it was already deemed a 9.6 and then I use the in house press service, the quality of the book couldn't possibly go down unless the pressing service messed the book up. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. We offer two different types of screening services.  We have a Grade pre-screen, which has a 25 book minimum and this is where you select a minimum grade and we will screen the books before grading and pull out any we think will not make that minimum. 

The other screening is for CCS services.  If you want to see if your book would benefit from pressing or if restoration can be removed, etc. you can select CCS screening.  There is no minimum number of books you have to submit for this service, even one book can be submitted for this type of screening.  We will examine the book before any CCS services and see if we think it would benefit.  If we do think it will benefit from the service, it moves on to CCS.  If we do not feel that the CCS service will benefit the book, we will reach out to you via email and let you know and see how you wish to proceed at that point.  You can find more information about CCS screening here: CCS Pressing | CGC (cgccomics.com)

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!