• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Glutton for Punishment Collecting"

48 posts in this topic

[Wacky Thread of the Day in an Andy Rooney style]

Didja ever notice that some collectors here have a sigline where they state their singular collecting goals?

Rooney,Andy.jpg

Statements like "Collecting every DC" or "Collecting every Dr. Strange". Personally, I think October's should be "Collecting every VF comic priced at 15% of guide".

My question is what would you collect if you were really a glutton for punishment? A goal that would be impossible to complete or, at the very least, take a very long time.

Would you have a goal statement like "Collecting every Four Color in HG" or "Collecting every Platinum comic"?

So what are some other examples of sets one would collect if you were a glutton for punishment?

[Of course, Ian's DC set is realworld example of a nearly impossible set to complete.]

Collecting every Gerber 9 and 10.

I was just thinking how sweet it would be to have a Four Color run in any condition.

Collecting every Gerber 10:

Double Action Comics

New Adventure Comics #13

Famous Funnies (nn)(Feb 1934)

Feature Books (nn)(1937)(reprinted as #3 with new cover)

5 Cent Comics (Feb 1940)(Fawcett Publications)

Flash Comics (Dec 1939)(cover reprint/Adventure Comics)

Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

Flash Comics (Jan 1940)

Gasoline Alley #3 (Apr 1950)(Star Publications)(L.B.Cole -c)

Hooray Comics #1 (Jan 1946)(Tendon Pub Co)

Jumbo Comics #7 (Apr 1939)

Marvel Mystery Comics Annual (1942)

Nickel Comics 1a (Fawcett black and white) - first Scoop Smith February 1940

Slam-Bang 1a (Fawcett black and white) - first Ibis, January, 1940

The Reign of Superman (1933 Jerry Siegel report) - 1933

Thrill Comics 1 (Fawcett black and white) - first Captain "Thunder", January, 1940

World's Best 1a (DC ashcan) - February, 1941

Wow, What A Magazine 2, August, 1936

I'm beginning to feel like I'm falling into this list. I'm trying to collect every hulk book and magazine out there graded in 9.0 or better with the more modern ones in a 9.4 or 9.6 or higher. This includes, annuals, mini series, and one shots. I don't collect his guest appearances or any titles he was in such as the Defenders. I'm around 80 percent done but I'm still spending out the ying yang. One reason is that more of the moderns and recent issues are coming out graded in 9.8 and I'd just rather go ahead and purchase it then go through the trouble submitting mine for a possible lower grade. I'm also trying to upgrade the modern books I have for a higher grade just becasue there isn't to much of a price difference so if I have a Hulk 331 in a 9.4 and a 9.6 comes along, I'll try and get the higher one. The other reason being I'm a little anal about print creases, stains, date stamps, etc... that I think detract from the book even though CGC no longer notes these (although the may start again with the proposed labels). Which leads to my other expenditure, reslabs. I'm always sending my books for reslab because the case has a crack. The graded magazines are the worse, 9 times out of 10, the graded mag I get is cracked and I have to send it in for reslab. I even lost a graded Rampaging Hulk Magazine 2 in 9.6 that I sent for reslab because it somehow moved inside the case and went from a 9.6 to a 8.0 when it got there (and I did mail it safely so go figure). At least I got 5 free submissions out of it. Eventually, I do want to get the first 6 issues in a 9.0 but I don't want to try and attack that until I get most of the other ones to the point that I'm not purchasing a bunch every week. I would love it if only one book I need was made available once every two weeks. That way, I can control my spending a little bit. It's usually works out that there is five in one week than none the next. At least there is only one hulk title. Compared to characters like Wolverine or Spiderman where you would really be killing yourself.

I think October's should be "Collecting every VF comic priced at 15% of guide.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll pay 16%! sumo.gif

Mine...

Collecting every Silver-Age Marvel in as decent mid-grade (VG-VF) as I can get.

Some of the cheaper ones in VF-NM and the pricey ones in good.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll pay 16%! sumo.gif

Mine...

foreheadslap.gif If you wanted to beat out October you would have to offer 14% off guide, which means you would pay 1% more than he would for books.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll pay 16%! sumo.gif

Mine...

foreheadslap.gif If you wanted to beat out October you would have to offer 14% off guide, which means you would pay 1% more than he would for books.

October pays only 15% OF guide dude! gossip.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll pay 16%! sumo.gif

Mine...

October pays only 15% OF guide dude! gossip.gif

off guide. Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit. gossip.gif