• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Notch 22 submission question

5 posts in this topic

Hi CGC,

I'm thinking of submitting my copy of Top Notch Comics 22 (1941). 

But I wanted to ask if you would FINALLY do a label change/notation for this issue.

It's widely accepted that Top Notch 22 is the actual "1st appearance" in any publication of Archie Andrews (he appears in a 1/2 page Advertisement in this issue).

The "On Sale Date" according to GCD is 10/10/1941

The "On Sale Date for PEP Comics 22 is 10/15/1941

It's only a 5 day difference but I think it's important to make these distinctions for collectors.  

Right now your label for this issue doesn't even mention the Archie Ad which I think is outrageous negligence.  To be fair, I don't think Overstreet mentions it either :facepalm:

By contrast, there are 3 different DC comics that have Ads for Action comics 1 mentioned on your Labels (one of which "New Adventure Comics 26" came out BEFORE Action #1 and should probably have a notation about being the 1st printed image of Superman on your labels).

Please let me know your thoughts as I probably won't submit my Top-Notch 22 until I know there will be a label notation.

Thanks

Todd

038A634F-05C7-4105-BE02-7B4C500CD47F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  All First Appearance notations are made at the discretion of the CGC grading team. 

If you do not see a First Appearance notation that you believe should be noted, you may request it.  To request a first appearance update or inclusion of other information to the current label, please include a note both on your printed submission form and also attached to the bag of the specific book (post-it on comic bag) and our graders will review and make a determination on that request during the grading process. 

Thank you!

On 3/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, The Velcronomicon said:

Ads don't count so who cares (shrug)

I know I do.  And I think I'm not alone.

New Adventure 26 has the first printed image EVER of Superman.  You don't think anyone cares?  It's historic.  I care.  I'd love to have that comic JUST for that reason.

Likewise, Top-Notch 22 has the first printed image EVER of Archie.  I think a label notation of some form is important.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:24 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

Why do you need it on the label if you're already aware of it? For resale?

Having CGC slab your comics is not just for getting restoration checks, page counts, and grading, it's to put pertinent information on the labels like writers, artists, cover artists, 1st appearances, 1st cameo appearances, pedigrees, etc.... for your own knowledge and so that, at a later time a potential buyer can make an informed decision about the purchase.  

Right now there's a very small pool of collectors that know about the Archie ad image in Top Notch 22 because there is NO label info.  I want to submit my copy and I'd like them to put the info on there.  it's pretty straight forward.  CGC make label changes every once in a while, this should be one of those times.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

So it's for the money. Gotcha.

AAAAAaaaaand there's a new troll on the boards.

Come on man.... there's enough snarkiness on the boards.  be nice.

I'm going thru a "slab my comics" stage right now.  I am selling off some stuff but this one is a keeper.  I've owned it for years and have always thought if I ever slabbed it I want the notation on it.

Edited by gadzukes