• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transfer staining
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Anyone know whether this is a defect that could possibly deteriorate/spread over time in a slab? I'm referring to transfer staining on a front cover from the splash page bleeding through. Could this mean the area on the page that is bleeding through is smudged or smeared somehow? I don't know if the color makes any difference, I'm wondering specifically about red.

From what I understand of it, this usually happens over time due to certain storage conditions?

Appreciate it and thanks very much in advance for any responses!

Edited by MGsimba77

On 3/22/2022 at 12:30 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Anyone know whether this is a defect that could possibly deteriorate/spread over time in a slab? I'm referring to transfer staining on a front cover from the splash page bleeding through. Could this mean the area on the page that is bleeding through is smudged or smeared somehow? I don't know if the color makes any difference, I'm wondering specifically about red.

From what I understand of it, this usually happens over time due to certain storage conditions?

Appreciate it and thanks very much in advance for any responses!

Pictures would be helpful, but in general the kind of transfer staining you're describing is quite common, especially with the color red bleeding through primarily white covers.

For instance, many Silver Age and older books have transfer staining from the splash page (or the last page) to the cover. Those pages wouldn't necessarily have to be smudged or smeared, either. It's just a normal occurrence brought on by the gradual degradation of cheap pulp paper products. And of course this can be exacerbated by improper storage conditions. Keeping your books in archival bags and boards in a cool, dark, climate controlled environment is highly recommended to help alleviate these kinds of problems. 

I hope this helps...