• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does one submit a possible error variant of a comic to CGC?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

With most comics it either is or is not a certain issue or variant and there isn't much wiggle room. But an error variant is technically the same version as a regular comic with an unofficial difference, that no fan merely guessing can say with any certainty.

So do I just submit it as a regular comic and CGC will on their own figure out if it's an error version (if it's a well known error of a particular issue), or do I submit it specifically as the error version if I want a chance of it being notated as such? What if I'm mistaken and paid the higher insurance value mistakenly for what amounts to just being the regular version; do I get a refund? I'm sure you can see the logistical quandary. Thank you-

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  When a book is manufactured in such a way that it is missing some component that it was supposed to have, we designate it as a "MANUFACTURING ERROR", assign it a Green Qualified label, and state in the label text exactly what it is being Qualified for. For instance: "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT HOLOGRAM ATTACHED TO COVER", or "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT BLACK INK ON COVER". These are the type of errors that usually affect an extremely small amount of the print run.

There are some comics where a substantial amount of the print run was affected by some error, where the number of errors released number in the hundreds, or even thousands. CGC will actually assign the error as its own "Variant Name", so to speak, and treat the book essentially as if was intended to be printed that way, complete with a Blue Universal label (although the Key Comment on the label will still explain what the error is). The error book at that point has, for lack of a better term, graduated into being its very own variant, based purely on the sheer number of copies that were released.

You can certainly notate the error on your order but if it is a well known error then our graders most likely would also be aware of it as well. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 3/24/2022 at 6:37 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  When a book is manufactured in such a way that it is missing some component that it was supposed to have, we designate it as a "MANUFACTURING ERROR", assign it a Green Qualified label, and state in the label text exactly what it is being Qualified for. For instance: "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT HOLOGRAM ATTACHED TO COVER", or "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT BLACK INK ON COVER". These are the type of errors that usually affect an extremely small amount of the print run.

There are some comics where a substantial amount of the print run was affected by some error, where the number of errors released number in the hundreds, or even thousands. CGC will actually assign the error as its own "Variant Name", so to speak, and treat the book essentially as if was intended to be printed that way, complete with a Blue Universal label (although the Key Comment on the label will still explain what the error is). The error book at that point has, for lack of a better term, graduated into being its very own variant, based purely on the sheer number of copies that were released.

You can certainly notate the error on your order but if it is a well known error then our graders most likely would also be aware of it as well. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thanks, the latter (of your second paragraph) is what I was referring to, such as the Venom Lethal Protector 'black cover' error. All I want to know is, do I just submit it as a regular copy of the comic and let CGC figure it out since technically I can't say for certain if it IS the error? It only matters in terms of the insurance paid up front, but I don't want to mistakenly presume it's the error when it isn't and then overpay on that front. Thank you very much-

• Administrator

Hello, I would attach a sticky note to the bag of the book with a note that you believe it to be an error and our graders can double check for that once it comes in.  If it is an error they will most likely catch it regardless but it doesn't hurt to include a note with the type of error you believe it to be.

Thank you!