• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there honestly any long term value in modern (post 2010) comics?
3 3

42 posts in this topic

So when people say "modern" comics, I generally view 1990-now...which is a HUGE range

Within that huge range, there are definitely books with value that I believe will maintain value and continue to grow, despite the high amount of availability in the market. The demand is there (thinking characters like Deadpool and Mile Morales).

For others, I am MUCH more wary (ex first Silk or Amadeus Cho). Mainly because personally, I have not talked to as many "fans" of these characters to know if the demand truly exists OR to know if the demand if purely driven by speculation. For me, the problem comes into play when you have people buying a book for the sole reason of selling for more down the road. If that is the sole reason driving sales, it means major issues down the road, even if the character appears in a movie and even if the movie does well.

My example here is Carnage. People seem to think that ASM 361 did not explode when the movie came out because the movie wasn't well received. Granted, that is a factor yes, but I think the bigger problem was literally EVERYBODY was trying to sell this book....and the true Carnage fans either already had theirs or were unwilling to pay crazy amounts. That is why this book dropped ever since the trailer and has continued to do so to this day.  People buying these weekly "hot books" or books the become valuable after a trailer have to ask themselves "Am I buying this because I like it or because others have it and it has value and I think I should have it?" 

If it is the second reason, I don't think it bodes well long term for the value of the book....especially, again, if you have people buying a book solely for the purpose of selling it. Initially, yes there will be a lot of sales but later down the road, those sales won't happen (and certainly not at the price you hope for) because again, the "I bought to sell" market has already done so and you are really only trying to find the person late to the game or who is a true fan of the character that does not already own the book. That or a brand new fan clueless of a price point and just willing to spend, but I feel like those are rare. 

Since the topic says "post-2010", it seems obvious to point out that Miles Morales Spider-Man first appeared in 2011 and already has value in ANY 2011 printing of Ultimate Fallout #4 (including regular old standard edition), with or without CGC grading.

So, the answer is "yes" - just like every other decade... 99.9% of books will be worthless, and 0.1% will be key issues that always have someone ready to buy them.

To be fair to the Golden Age, 99.9% of the books aren't worthless... they're just gone.  Printed, but do not exist anymore.

There are still worthless books in the Golden Age, but not 99.9%... just the standard worthless books like westerns, funny non-Disney animals, etc.

:baiting:(jab to anyone who collects those books... but you shouldn't complain, the books are very old and still cheap.) (thumbsu

Edited by valiantman

I've joked to comics friends who worry about this that what they should do is just buy every copy of X-Force #1, Superman #75, etc. etc. they come across, and then burn them. The way millions of comics were burned and destroyed in the fifties during the Werthham hysteria.

I don't mean it seriously of course, and it's unlikely it would ever cause a ripple effect to make such books more scarce, and I don't support stuff like artificially inflating scarcity or something. But I said this the other day and my buddy said, "I should destroy those comics just because they SUCK!"

My overall point is that we can't deny why most things are valuable outside of historical significance: because they are RARE. Everyone had a copy of these 90s' spec books because of hearsay from news reports informing non collectors how much Action #1 sold for or whatever. They don't take into consideration World War II and the war effort calling for mass paper recycling, the aforementioned 50s, etc.

Modern books will be worth as much as a collector is willing to pay for them- but yes, they can't be worth as much as Golden-Silver for the most part.

There are plenty of books that will continue to grow in price. While 1st Miles is an easy pick, there are others like Spider-Gwen, Dr. Aphra, Silk, Strange Academy, Saga etc. that are hitting big dollars. Then you have the ratio variants of those 1st apps which are already 4 figure books (or five figure in the case of UF 4 ratio). It is actually a great time to be collecting as the ratio variants + multiple print to order covers on most books mean more opportunities to make money on the same 1st app.

And the nice thing is that a lot of these properties have not hit the big screen or streaming TV series yet.

Edited by kimik

On 3/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Buy what you like to read and don't think so much of future riches as you're likely to be disappointed.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, comicginger1789 said:

For me, the problem comes into play when you have people buying a book for the sole reason of selling for more down the road.

As a relative newcomer to this hobby, I will say that I was surprised at the popularity of "slabbing" comics.  I started collecting CREEPYs and EERIEs because I wanted to read them; if they're hermetically sealed to preserve their value, you can't read them.  They are no longer comic books, they're just pretty rocks to display on the shelf and trade for other pretty rocks.  There IS no reason to buy them other than for the sole reason of selling them for more down the road--because they are no longer of any other use to anyone except as a commodity.

That said, I find myself having to resist the seduction of the Higher Grade myself--ooo, this one doesn't have a dog-eared corner!--and I can't say that I haven't upgraded a few of my low-grade copies just to have a nicer copy--but I still marvel (see what I did there?) at the idea that preserving value now trumps the original purpose of the book--to be read.

So yeah, there's long-term value in modern comics, if you enjoy reading them.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

As a relative newcomer to this hobby, I will say that I was surprised at the popularity of "slabbing" comics.  I started collecting CREEPYs and EERIEs because I wanted to read them; if they're hermetically sealed to preserve their value, you can't read them.  They are no longer comic books, they're just pretty rocks to display on the shelf and trade for other pretty rocks.  There IS no reason to buy them other than for the sole reason of selling them for more down the road--because they are no longer of any other use to anyone except as a commodity.

That said, I find myself having to resist the seduction of the Higher Grade myself--ooo, this one doesn't have a dog-eared corner!--and I can't say that I haven't upgraded a few of my low-grade copies just to have a nicer copy--but I still marvel (see what I did there?) at the idea that preserving value now trumps the original purpose of the book--to be read.

I've read everything in my collection. Not necessarily every copy in my collection, mind you. But I don't own any books where I'm unfamiliar with the interior. Indeed, for nearly all my permanent personal collection, I have unslabbed undercopies and/or collected editions so that I can continue to read the books I enjoy. I do not consider this in any way incompatible with having a high-grade slabbed collection, and appreciating those copies for their condition even if I do not plan to sell them.

As for the main topic, I think the subset of Modern books that will be high-value items 25 years from now is small, but far from zero, but that's true of most books. It remains to be seen how the low-print variants (especially stuff like high-ratio incentives and store exclusives) hold up in the marketplace over the long-term. But there are definitely books that are going to still be valuable. Things like UF4, Saga, Canto, etc. aren't likely to go away. Other books may see their demand emerge as new content happens over the coming years; that's how it's always worked. The rest of the books will be fodder for run collectors (which isn't anything new; Hulk 183 isn't much of a value book, for example, despite what came before...).

In the 1980s, everyone was absolutely certain that Bronze and Modern (now copper) books would never be worth anything. 
In the 2000s, everyone was absolutely certain that 90s books would never be worth anything. 
Etc. 

So long as comics are published and "things" are collected, they will retain and increase in value. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 3/24/2022 at 1:42 PM, Qalyar said:

I've read everything in my collection. Not necessarily every copy in my collection, mind you. But I don't own any books where I'm unfamiliar with the interior.

I am the same...granted there are still about 200-300 books in my "to read pile" but the expectation is that they get read.

I have only personally slabbed some of my collection this past year. Yes, I know I will never get to read them again but after having may of them for 15-20 years and having only read them once or twice in that span, I figured if I ever really wanted to again, I would find another way. I am much the same way with books as I am movies...once I see a movie, I have no desire to watch it again. Even if it is a great movie. Main reason being I don't usually get the same joy when a rewatch something as the joy I got the first time. Comics are the same plus there are so many more books I want to physically read and enjoy before my time here is done so that becomes my focus. It is how I live with the fact I have some books now as purely display pieces....and I love them for that aspect too. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

There IS no reason to buy them other than for the sole reason of selling them for more down the road--because they are no longer of any other use to anyone except as a commodity.

I mean, I slabbed some of my books....books I have owned since I was 12-15. And I love them as is. Doing so likely protects them a bit more than they would have been plus I was curious about my grading abilities compared to CGC after all these years. Finally, I know that over time doing this to some of my more important books will make it easier on my kids and family (or myself) when it comes time to part with them. 

Until then though, I average buying 300-500 back issue books for my collection each year and try to keep up with reading them. And really, of the 5000 or so books I own, probably only a couple hundred are worth getting graded one day.....so I will peck away at that as time goes by!

On 3/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

It's 2022, as same with "real" books,  there are many legit and some gray area ways to read/view a Comic book other than having it in hand.  Although for Creepy and Eerie I'm not sure if every issue is available.  I've not read a physical comic book since I got my first tablet 12 years ago. 

I vastly prefer my books, mags and comics on a tablet (or Chromebook) as I can manipulate page size exactly to the needs of my physical vision.

Apologies. :preach: folks but the idea of having to have an actual comic in hand to read it is so last century.   Times change and for me being able to use a tablet or similar device to easily read anything I want is priceless.

P.S. My main reading tablet has 12.2 inch screen which is pretty much exactly the size of a 1980's comic. My Chromebook screen is larger, but it's weighs so little  its not a factor.  Better living through technology!

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

I prefer my books, mags and comics on a tablet (or Chromebook) as I can manipulate page size exactly to my liking or rather to needs of my physical vision.

I have CBR files, but I'm just the opposite--I prefer the magazine "in hand."  The incessant scrolling is annoying, and it's hard to see a full double-page spread at once and still be able to read the text--or even a full single page.  Even if just a single panel extends from the top to the bottom of the page--you're reading the text at the top and then having to scroll down to see the art in the panel, and then scroll back up to read the text at the top of the next panel, etc.

It's just "clunky" compared to the joy of a mag in hand.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

I have CBR files, but I'm just the opposite--I prefer the magazine "in hand."  The incessant scrolling is annoying, and it's hard to see a full double-page spread at once and still be able to read the text--or even a full single page.  Even if just a single panel extends from the top to the bottom of the page--you're reading the text at the top and then having to scroll down to see the art in the panel, and then scroll back up to read the text at the top of the next panel, etc.

It's just "clunky" compared to the joy of a mag in hand.

The preponderance of double page spread in modern book can be a bit annoying, although i have come up with my own solutions for that.  Also finding a reader and bending it's options towards what one feels comfortable with can be a challenge. I have found what works fast and easy for me and have used it for some many years it's second nature. i also do not make the mistake of upgrading it before testing new version out on my non main device first.

For me is so easy to open my viewer pick any book or comic I choose to read from my NAS and read it on demand that I never want to go back to any past method. 

As for me  I do not sell comics. Well almost I've sold a total of around 12 books in the last 20 years. I do submit comics 120 last year but normally 20-25 per year.  Most I've sent are from the years 1984-1990 and are a bit odd-ball (some are in my signature). Apparently for me getting a book back in 9.8 that I purchased raw as a child or teen releases a few endorphins :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/24/2022 at 10:52 AM, Zonker said:

I offer for your consideration Detective Comics #880 (Late September 2011)

I've been waiting years for the fever to break, and copies of this doubtless-common Modern to start to sell for something approaching cover price.  :idea:

Hasn't happened yet...:wavingwhiteflag:

That's a book that will never be cheap.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:12 AM, valiantman said:

So, the answer is "yes" - just like every other decade... 99.9% of books will be worthless, and 0.1% will be key issues that always have someone ready to buy them.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:05 PM, jdandns said:

I just buy the ones I like and don't worry much about the future value. It's pretty much how I've always done it. Luckily, I lived long enough to see a bunch of them turn out to be "something". 

To each their own, but if you are a true comic book collector, simply buy what you like and if they happen to go up in value, just consider that to be an extra bonus.  (thumbsu

Now, if you are more into comic book speculating or flipping, just remember that it's all about trying to time the market as what was stated up above, 99.9% of the MA books will be worthless to the point that they would not be economically feasible to grade and slab unless you can get a guaranteed 9.8 grade or higher out of them.  Of course, at that point you would be no longer be collecting comic books any more, but really collecting CGC labels.  hm

On 3/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, lou_fine said:

...but really collecting CGC labels.  hm

Most FB Marketplace comics groups are like that now. It's all Slabs for Sale, 9.8s for Sale. The books are rarely mentioned in the advert. Buy the Label or Grade not the book is the mantra of the day in those groups.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity