• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on determining if scuffing to slab qualifies for a Mechanical error

5 posts in this topic

In my last submission I have 5-6 holders that have interior scuffing that I personally feel is severe enough to warrant a free reholdering. Interior scuffing has of late become extremely prevalent and it seems something we need to be prepared to accept as the norm. However the books in question have scuffing far in excess of the norm. My discussion with customer service did not help much in determining what constitutes a level of scuffing that is excessive. She kept stating that it does not affect the book or its grade and that visual appeal is unimportant. I stated that I do not want to sell a book that has this much scuffing because it takes away from the eye appeal of the slab, but she reiterated that it should not matter because people are buying the book at that grade not the case, so scuffing that affects only the presentation should not matter. I strongly disagreed. I countered by saying if that is the case why not make the cases black so that they provide ultimate protection from UV light damage since visual appeal is irrelevant. I also offered up the scenario that if she ordered a new car form a dealership and when it arrived it had a long scratch down the side if she would just ignore it and not demand it be repaired since it does not affect it's ability to drive. She conveniently failed to see the similarity in scenarios.

She said I can return the slabs in question as Mechanical errors and provided a shipping label to do so. However, I am at the mercy of whoever determines such things if the scuffing is deemed acceptable or not. If deemed acceptable I can choose to have them reholdered at my cost or returned untouched (what I would choose since I do not want to sink any more money into these books). I would however now be charged for shipping to and from CGC for any slabs that are determined to not be Mechanical errors. Living In Canada and knowing how much CGC charges for shipping I could end up paying hundreds of dollars in shipping alone and getting back the same bad slabs.

Can you provide any guidance on how to determine when scuffing is severe enough to meet the Mechanical error level. I have included a picture of the book that best displays the scuffing. I have a very difficult time taking pictures of slabs that do not show severe glare or reflections. This is as good a picture as I can get. You still can't see the scuffs themselves, but you can see shadows caused by them looking like black smudges going down the center of the book. The book is a 9.8, so any smudging you see is a result of the scuffing. In person the scuffing is far more obvious than any picture I took could show. The scuffing is severe enough that I could see it before removing the slabs from the plastic bags the are shipped in.

thumbnail_IMG_2411.jpg

Edited by kimvets

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. In virtually all cases, as long as you contact us within 2 weeks of receiving your books back, we can reholder your books at no charge if there are any issues such as scuffs or scratches that are not happy with.  All you need to do is either email or call within that two week window and we can send you instructions and a pre-paid shipping label to send the books back.  Anything longer than two weeks from the receipt date, however, would not be eligible for a complimentary reholder. 

Thank you!

@Jennifer F.

I haven't checked myself, but I've heard that 'Mechanical Error' is an option on the online form and that you don't even have to call when returning ME slabs. Could you please verify this or, at least, supply info on why ME is on the form and how to use it.

• Administrator
On 3/28/2022 at 4:22 PM, Gaard said:

@Jennifer F.

I haven't checked myself, but I've heard that 'Mechanical Error' is an option on the online form and that you don't even have to call when returning ME slabs. Could you please verify this or, at least, supply info on why ME is on the form and how to use it.

Yes, Mechanical error is an option on the online form but you must contact us before sending in a Mechanical error to have it approved. As I mentioned, in most cases, as long as it is within 2 weeks of receiving your item back from us, we will allow you to send your book back for a free reholder due to scratches/scuffs/damage to holder, etc.  

Thanks!