• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm dealing with . Sunday morning kvetch.

3 posts in this topic

I've been dealing with an auction house in the midwest for a few months. They run about two auctions a week and since October I spent just under $6,000 with them.

Last week I bought a few NASA related items, some comics, an auction  lot of bric brac and a 1840s map of the Northwest Territory of Minnesota/Wisconsin.  They send out an invoice for you to go over before they process payment. I notice they are charging $60 for shipping, which seems pretty high. I emailed them to ask about it and am told that the bric brac lot contains two metal objects, each weighing about ten pounds and that is what is causing the expensive shipping. The lot went for $5.  I email them asking if they can simply not ship whatever these heavy things are, and am told they do not ship partial lots. I ask if I can pay for the lot and simply give it back to them to re-sell and am told no. I ask if I can pay for the lot and they simply throw it away.   This morning, I get an email  telling me they can dispose of the lot, but I need to pay a $25 disposal fee. I wrote back telling them not to ship anything and not to charge my card. I explained how the auction description didn't mention the weight or that shipping it would be expensive.  Told them I would no longer be buying from them  Got a response saying my account was suspended and would not be reactivated until I pay my outstanding invoices.

A number of the auction items state that the lot can not be shipped and some state that because of the size and weight, shipping may be expensive. This particular lot had no warning.  I was on pace to spend about $15,000 with them this year.  I'd think they would make an effort to retain a customer like that.

Edited by shadroch

Well, I agree they should have a note for any lot that may cause excess shipping costs OR they should list the weight of items like the ones you describe which anyone who buys collectibles frequently would know would lead to higher shipping costs. You want a reputation of dealing fairly with your customers and your situation seems unfair due to lack of disclosure and lack of any way to fix it.

They won't say it this way, but I'd love to see the consignor's reaction when they tell him/her the item didn't sell because they failed to disclose how heavy it was.

Ridiculous. Here is a 5 dollar lot that will cost ten times that to ship and we will keep that a secret. This is the ultimate cutting off your nose to spite your face moment on their part.