• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advent Rising Rock the Planet

4 posts in this topic

Bill Jemas (formerly of Marvel Comics) has a new comic company and this is the first issue (that I'm aware of anyway). My LCS was offering this first issue for $1.25 so I bought it, but haven't read it yet.

Anyone else pick this up?

Alright, I'll do my own review of this one, read it last night. This is the first comic from the new Bill Jemas' run comic line. Advent Rising is a video game already and this, I guess, is the comic adaptation (although I've never played the game, so who knows).

Anyway, this first issue has a pedestrian story about a family that moves to a new planet (following their dad's job) mom, dad and two boys. There are two teenage boys, seems the older one is the golden boy and the younger, Gideon, appears to be the main character. The boys meet the locals and the there seems to be a division between rich and poor, or off-planet company family kids and the local workforce kids. They ride hoverboards, like skateboards, and the older kid is in some ROTC training program (he's an instructor or squad leader or something). And young Gideon has already found a local girl he likes.

And that's about it; and this was a double sized issue for the price of a regular one, $2.25, but my LCS was offering it for $1.25 as a special introductory price.

The writing was less than compelling, I absolutely can't stand fragments of sentences passing as dialogue and/or made up words to simulate the local 'lingo'. This book has both. The art was pedestrian, nothing great here.

And that's it. Won't be buying issue 2. frown.gif