• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can my comic be slabbed?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I'm new to comic collecting and recently purchased the 2022 JLA Avengers trade paperback published by Hero Initiative. Because this comic felt like a piece of history, I started doing research on ways to best preserve/display this comic, eventually leading me to CGC.

After spending a number of hours researching, I still can't determine whether or not my comic is able to be graded and slabbed. I have come across a trade paperback of similar size recently graded and slabbed, CGC Cert # 3951836001. Can CGC slab my JLA Avengers paperback?

Thanks

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  I checked our census but don't see that we have graded any in the past.  We would need to see it in person before we could say for certain.  The max dimensions we could encapsulate would be:

• 11-1/2” tall
  • 8-7/8” wide
  • 1/2” thick

So if the book doesn't fit within these dimensions then we definitely couldn't grade or encapsulate it.  If it does fit, then we should be able to grade it but will need to see it in hand before we can say for certain.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 4/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  I checked our census but don't see that we have graded any in the past.  We would need to see it in person before we could say for certain.  The max dimensions we could encapsulate would be:

• 11-1/2” tall
  • 8-7/8” wide
  • 1/2” thick

So if the book doesn't fit within these dimensions then we definitely couldn't grade or encapsulate it.  If it does fit, then we should be able to grade it but will need to see it in hand before we can say for certain.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

That is great to hear - thank you for the quick response!

Edited by tcullenjr

On 3/31/2022 at 3:41 PM, tcullenjr said:
I'm new to comic collecting and recently purchased the 2022 JLA Avengers trade paperback published by Hero Initiative. Because this comic felt like a piece of history, I started doing research on ways to best preserve/display this comic, eventually leading me to CGC.

After spending a number of hours researching, I still can't determine whether or not my comic is able to be graded and slabbed. I have come across a trade paperback of similar size recently graded and slabbed, CGC Cert # 3951836001. Can CGC slab my JLA Avengers paperback?

Thanks

I have some of these and want to send a few in as well. I started watching this auction the other day which recently sold as a CGC 9.8: JLA/ Avengers #nn (2022 DC Marvel Comics) TPB Hero initiative CGC 9.8 | eBay

Just got mine back as a 9.8! They will slab it in a magazine holder. I ordered the George Perez label and it came back as blue label. They confirmed only comic holders can get custom comic labels.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Yes, as long as the label is still available, you can request that for a reholder.  You can check our list of current labels here: CGC's Custom Label Series | CGC (cgccomics.com)

I know there have been some glitches in our new online form regarding reholders.  We are working on getting those all fixed.  But in the meantime, you can simply write on your packing slip in large bold letters which label you would like and we will add that.  Please include the  label number. 

Thank you!

On 6/15/2022 at 11:48 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

I have some of these and want to send a few in as well. I started watching this auction the other day which recently sold as a CGC 9.8: JLA/ Avengers #nn (2022 DC Marvel Comics) TPB Hero initiative CGC 9.8 | eBay

On 6/20/2022 at 9:19 PM, tcullenjr said:

Just got mine back as a 9.8! They will slab it in a magazine holder. I ordered the George Perez label and it came back as blue label. They confirmed only comic holders can get custom comic labels.

Congrats on the grade!