• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #5... Classic Kirby Splash Page!
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 3:10 AM, KCOComics said:

It's a pretty awesome splash! Congrats!

And your right! Early Caps have gotten very pricey, so I'm glad you were able to grab this!! 

Exactly! Perhaps someday I can pickup a complete early copy or wartime cover but as I’m not quite in a position to do that right now, so this is a perfect alternative. Even as a single page, it’s still a bit of history from that early ten issue run and that’s important to preserve!

I'm curious, I know Kirby and Simon did the cover. Did they do all the interior pages for the Cap stories? 

Nothing wrong with Syd Shores, Allen Bellman or any of the other early Cap artists, but it would be cool to have a Kirby / Simon page. 

I have 1 early Cap, bought here on the boards.  It's one of my favorite books. 

On 4/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, KCOComics said:

I'm curious, I know Kirby and Simon did the cover. Did they do all the interior pages for the Cap stories? 

Nothing wrong with Syd Shores, Allen Bellman or any of the other early Cap artists, but it would be cool to have a Kirby / Simon page. 

I have 1 early Cap, bought here on the boards.  It's one of my favorite books. 

I know this splash page was done by Kirby and that both Simon and Kirby in fact did a lot of the work on the interiors of issues #1-10. There was also work and assistance by other artists in these same issues as well though.

https://kirbysgoldenagecaptain.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/captain-america-5-killers-of-the-bund-part-1/

Also added an add page from the same issue featuring the “Sentinels of Liberty” club! Super excited to pair this page with my badge and showcase some incredible Joe Simon art as well. Plus as a bonus, the reverse side happens to feature text from Stan Lee’s third text story titled “Captain America and the Ruby Robbers.”

B8673B45-4FB3-4BEF-B9D7-8272454F1FFD.jpeg

997F454F-9EA6-45CF-B9FF-AF1C71FB8A21.jpeg