• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best ASM villian in the last 20 years???

55 posts in this topic

Morlun

Morlun sucked, as does everything else JMS has touched. foreheadslap.gif

My vote goes to Morlun as well. That storyline with him and Eziekel was phenomenal. JMS is the BEST thing to happen to Spidey in over 20 years. JMS, Peter David and Bendis are the best writers working in comics right now IMO. As for the JMS haters just don't buy it. Then you wouldn't know how awful it is and we wouldn't have to listen to you whine about Gwen this and Gwen that and how 40 years of continuity was ruined by JMS. I wouldn't be reading any Spidey books if not for JMS. Before he came along ASM had sucked ever since the Gang War storyline ended in 1985.

hasn't hobgoblin been 2 or 3 different people, too, since it [wasn't] Ned Leeds..??

Yeah, that's why I specified the first Hobby. True, his first appearance was just a shade over 20 years ago, but he was in a lot of Spidey books in the late 80's.

Morlun

Morlun sucked, as does everything else JMS has touched. foreheadslap.gif

My vote goes to Morlun as well. That storyline with him and Eziekel was phenomenal. JMS is the BEST thing to happen to Spidey in over 20 years. JMS, Peter David and Bendis are the best writers working in comics right now IMO. As for the JMS haters just don't buy it. Then you wouldn't know how awful it is and we wouldn't have to listen to you whine about Gwen this and Gwen that and how 40 years of continuity was ruined by JMS. I wouldn't be reading any Spidey books if not for JMS. Before he came along ASM had sucked ever since the Gang War storyline ended in 1985.

sign-funnypost.gif

As for the JMS haters just don't buy it. Then you wouldn't know how awful it is and we wouldn't have to listen to you whine about Gwen this and Gwen that and how 40 years of continuity was ruined by JMS.

Spoken like a true "don't know what I'm talking about" Spider-Man fan... screwy.gif

Jim

My favorite has always been the first Hobgoblin. When he was done initially he was one of the smartest and most devious villians Spidey faced. And there was the fact that Mary Jane and others new him in his civilian identity but you never got to see who he was. It was great when they revealed that Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin and it was a pretty awesome story as to why he was. Later, Marvel said that the original writer that created Hobgoblin wanted him to be a different character, a guy by the last name Owlsey I belive, a fashion mogul. Yeah, those fashion guys are real scary! Well, he left before the storyline was done and apparently they didn't know what direction he was going so they changed it to Ned Leeds which was a great move. I agree Venom was great initially, but then they just watered him down with the over exposure. The same with Carnage. Can anyone say, Maximum Carnage Crossover?! lol. It was so lame! None of the newest villians so far can hang. They are pretty much throw away characters.

That's just it... from my memory Hobgoblin was the best "long lasting" villian created for ASM. Venom and Carnage were cool too, but I agree they kind of got old rather quickly. The people that voted for Morlun, do you think he will come back around, especially when JMS hangs it up?

I think Spidey needs a new bad-[embarrassing lack of self control] villian!!!

Yeah, those fashion guys are real scary!

zoolander.jpg

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!"

I love Zoolander! Too bad my wife won't let me watch it. sorry.gif

Classic flick!

My woman is the same. Not a fan of the ridiculously stupid. frown.gif

Although, she did like Napoleon. So, there's hope. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My woman is the same. Not a fan of the ridiculously stupid. frown.gif

What are ya gonna do? confused-smiley-013.gif

Another ridiculously stupid movie is "The Stupids". I haven't seen in 10 years, but it's worth watching just for the song.

I haven't found a clip of it online, but I do have the lyrics... 27_laughing.gif

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three

I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be

This widow had a grownup daughter who had hair of red

My father fell in love with her, and soon they too were wed

This made my Dad my son-in-law and really changed my life

For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife

And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy,

I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to Dad

And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad

For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother

Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my stepmother

Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run

And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son

My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue

Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild

And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild

'Cause now I have become the strangest case you ever saw

As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa

I'm my own grandpa,

I'm my own grandpa,

It sounds funny, I know

But it really is so

I'm my own grandpa

JMS is the best writer Spidey has had in awhile. Its just that that ONE story arc has turned off a legion of aging fanboys to everything else he has written. I just hated that one arc, I've really enjoyed the rest of his run on ASM.

JMS is the best writer Spidey has had in awhile. Its just that that ONE story arc has turned off a legion of aging fanboys to everything else he has written. I just hated that one arc, I've really enjoyed the rest of his run on ASM.

I've loved everything he's done so far; including Sins Past.