• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worldwide WW2-Interwar - Comics, propaganda and more
4 4

142 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2022 at 2:52 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Very interesting and great material!

Thank you!
Hopefully I will list more journals in the next days… and if there might be interest possibly a semi-complete year run of some italian journal with great Kurt Caesar material. :) 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, vaillant said:

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943)

"Le Téméraire" was a famous "collaborationist" french comics journal published in Paris from January 1943 to August 1944. From January 1943 to the Liberation, it was the only magazine for young people distributed in the german occupied France.
Authors feartured include Erik (André René Jolly) with "Fulminate et Vorax", Francis Josse with "Marc le téméraire", Vica (Vincent Krassousky) with strips of his character Vica the sailor, and Auguste Liquois with "Vers les mondes inconnus” (a Flash Gordon inspired science fiction epic with racial overtones).

In issue 18, a Ku-Klux Klan feature becomes a means to express the anti-americanism of the collaborationist government. Author J. Savary teaches us that all the officers of the Klan were Freemasons, whose contributions gave rise to rebates and since the Klan dared to attack the Jews who control the American press, the latter, with the help of the 1934 elections, dealt the group a fatal blow.

This is a pretty scarce issue. I can take pictures of the other strips in the insides if you want. :)
Asking $60 / 55€

c4GhCpZ.jpg
WTqJQmg.jpg

:takeit: thanks!

On 4/7/2022 at 4:57 PM, vaillant said:

Le Téméraire No_20 (November 1, 1943)

Issue 20 of "Le Temeraire" offers the occasion for a diatribe against communism. In the article "Insectes contre hommes" by André Ramon communist societies are compared to the "hive mentality" of insects organizations. Cool "giant insects" cover.

Asking $30 / 28€

vrIKM4H.jpg

4KBQQkK.jpg

:takeit:

La Bête est morte! La guerre mondiale chez les animaux (1945-46) - Set B
    1er Fascicule - Copy B - May 1946 (3rd French edition, published on the first anniversary of the surrender of Nazi Germany to the Allies).
    2me Fascicule - Copy B - November 1945 (2nd French Edition).

Here’s another set of the Calvo albums, published slightly afterwards the Liberation in France.
This pair lot includes the third French edition for the first volume and the second edition for the second volume.

NOTE: There isn’t much different in price among the editions on the French market. The only one going for a bit more, especially in great shape as they are tough, is the very first edition of volume one, which also sported a different cover (I will post it afterwards).

Volume one in very nice shape aside from some scratches on the fc; volume two in nice shape, some small "bubbles" on the paper cover top and bottom (see pirtures).
Asking $250 / 230€ for the pair  :news: SOLD via PM

5bnnGr6.jpg
smUxroz.jpg
5bH2jOA.jpg
KLorEBA.jpg

mmqbf8Z.jpg

Here’s some pictures of the insides of volume one, third edition (internally the printing is the same quality across the editions):

Spoiler

Jd2uhkK.jpg
UxtLTKK.jpg
KNJgduG.jpg
c02Bwso.jpg
ASxAiR5.jpg
uXglpUc.jpg
jWB1LIj.jpg
A46h5hj.jpg
Vk3v668.jpg
0tns3xN.jpg
nsGR7MZ.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Testimonianze No_8 (Asso di Spade No_14bis, 1952)
Copy C

This is part of a series of neo-nationalist magazines featuring heavy anti-American criticism from the post-war.
The covers feature original illustrations by Gino Boccasile which were used on propagandistic material during the war, notably the front cover is a famous Italian poster of the RSI period, with Italy in full-swing civil war. Mark Bryant wrote in his book, “World War II in Cartoons” (1989): «In Gino Boccasile's famous Italian poster depicting the cultural barbarism of the American troops, the black American sergeant, his features transformed nearly into a gorilla's face, grasps Greek art treasures, ludicrously under priced with animal savagery.»

There are two different versions of this publication, which was briefly seized when it came out, this is a copy with the "Fascicolo No_8" issue number tag.

Hard to grade these due to the paper, I’d say in the VGFN range or so.
Asking $49 / 44€ :news: SOLD to IngelsFan

Sy5lsSr.jpg
ysxmP6a.jpg

Pictures of inside pages:

sOLylcB.jpg
3fqVBE1.jpg
J721D9A.jpg
j1HySZE.jpg
zDNzDFz.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Intrepido Anno XIII No_53 (Casa Editrice Moderna, 1946)

Copy A

Italian comics journal, this year run is from the immediate post-war. This specific issue features what is (as for the bombing of the Monte Cassino Abbey in Topix) very likely the first known depiction of a gas chamber in comics (see last panel on the back page) within the story "Cuore garibaldino - Nuovo episodio", written by L. Peverelli with art by Vittorio Cossio.

The 1945 and 1946 year runs are pretty rare, paper was low quality straight after the war.

This copy is well-loved, paper browning at the top, I’d say in the GD range but hey, it’s a super-cool item to own!

Asking $35 / 32€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

JrIEWYt.jpgG9gxdgP.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

On 4/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, vaillant said:

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943)

"Le Téméraire" was a famous "collaborationist" french comics journal published in Paris from January 1943 to August 1944. From January 1943 to the Liberation, it was the only magazine for young people distributed in the german occupied France.
Authors feartured include Erik (André René Jolly) with "Fulminate et Vorax", Francis Josse with "Marc le téméraire", Vica (Vincent Krassousky) with strips of his character Vica the sailor, and Auguste Liquois with "Vers les mondes inconnus” (a Flash Gordon inspired science fiction epic with racial overtones).

In issue 18, a Ku-Klux Klan feature becomes a means to express the anti-americanism of the collaborationist government. Author J. Savary teaches us that all the officers of the Klan were Freemasons, whose contributions gave rise to rebates and since the Klan dared to attack the Jews who control the American press, the latter, with the help of the 1934 elections, dealt the group a fatal blow.

This is a pretty scarce issue. I can take pictures of the other strips in the insides if you want. :)
Asking $60 / 55€

c4GhCpZ.jpg
WTqJQmg.jpg

I’ll take it. 

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943) - Copy A

I repeat the description for convenience:

This is a pretty scarce issue. I can take pictures of the other strips in the insides if you want.

Two more copies, this is Copy A.

Asking $60 / 55€ :news: SOLD to Eddy707

Spoiler

qasJuNP.jpg
jgllYGB.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

On 4/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, vaillant said:

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943) - Copy C

This copy has some tape, obviously less nice than the previous two but still decent.

Asking $38 / $35

1YfKIGi.jpg
2N4iaQt.jpg

Take copy b, not c please!

Edited by gunsmokin

OK, I added pictures of the inside pages in the Testimonianze magazine entry. :)

I will see what I am able to do with the italian journals I still have: many have wonderful material which surely has not been seen much in USA, but they are very large and hard to photograph.