• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worldwide WW2-Interwar - Comics, propaganda and more
4 4

142 posts in this topic

:news: I have lowered some prices on the american GA books (Ace and Key) and on the "Lacht Ihn Tot!" cartoon book.
I know the comics are priced aggressively but I was on the fence: if they do not sell I’ll see whether to keep them or not.

Listing a few more in a minute…

Edited by vaillant

Four Favorites #8 (Ace Comics, December 1942)

FRGD

The Unknown Soldier story in this issue contains weird ideas and sensitive themes associated with the war events: deformed people from a circus "freak show" working as agents for the Japanese betray and are in danger of being killed.

Usual features continue: "The Corpses That Wouldn't Stay Dead"; Lash Lightning vs. Dr. Diablo (with Lightning Girl). "Master of the Roto-Dynamo"; Magno and Davey vs. The Clown. "Pay Dirt Gamble" text story starring Jess Cattlee by Ralph Powers. Untitled Captain Courageous story; Flood waters roar in the Mississippi. Untitled story featuring Captain Gallant and His Mini-Sub.

On the inside cover: ad: the 4 Favorites Give Uncle Sam a Hand public service announcement to buy War Bonds and to salvage old paper, metal and rubber.

Inside back cover: Untitled Murphy's Mess Boy story, ----script by Lou Ferstadt (as Looey) and Harvey Kurtzman (as Kurtzman), one of his earliest works.

A copy of this book in VG++ condition went for a crazy price on eBay recently.

This copy has a delicate cover a large tear on the bottom part of front cover (see picture) and a small tape repair in inside cover top right corner.
Cover has some brittleness on the right side, but inside pages are nice and pretty supple. I would grade it as a FR+/FRGD.

Asking $650 / 600€ :news: SOLD to Changer

Gtu3GmM.jpg
i9axOGf.jpg

mfbNbIR.jpg

88xVJ9Y.png

Edited by vaillant

Albi di Pippo No_5 - "Pippo e il Dittatore" (A.V.E., 1948)
VG-

Renowned italian comics author Benito Jacovitti started his collaboration as a 16-year-old boy early as 1940 with the italian journal "Il Vittorioso". During 1945, towards the end of the war, he continued his "Pippo" series with this story, published on the catholic university magazine "Intervallo" and then collected in its album form (this one) in 1948.

The first chapter of a trilogy about war and peace, this is the less common of the three albums. All are in black and white, back cover in color.

Asking $50 / 45€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

5FGFTu8.jpg
Ae1F4uZ.jpg

Here’s how the splash page appeared originally on "Intervallo":

Spoiler

PoYLWyr.jpg

Inside pages from the album edition:

Spoiler

BWfRFrb.jpg
AnyVrDj.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Albi di Pippo No_16 - "Pippo e la Guerra" (A.V.E., 1949)
VF-

Second installment of the war-themed trilogy, first collected in this albi edition with the custom cover.
Not easy to find in such a nice shape.

Asking $45 / 40€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

gxLsKeo.jpg

Inside pages (enlarge for super-fun detail):

Spoiler

Y5gw4TW.jpg
iyh0ZCK.jpg
mUwzzkY.jpg
ECr3F9K.jpg
DkTBZX7.jpg
KELVI2u.jpg
4NZO1Lk.jpg
LWLiGPU.jpg
84jgovH.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Albi di Pippo No_17 - "Pippo e la Pace" (A.V.E., 1949)
VG+ (2" spine split, stain urc fc)

Third chapter of the war-themed trilogy, first collected in this albi edition.
And my favorite cover of the three. lol

Asking $35 / 30€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

a70qmCV.jpg

Inside pages:

Spoiler

SS4hEPd.jpg
xg2Ew6s.jpg
KbsCr2c.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Intrepido Anno XIII No_53 (Casa Editrice Moderna, 1946) - Copy C

Italian comics journal, this year run is from the immediate post-war. This specific issue features what is (as for the bombing of the Monte Cassino Abbey in Topix) very likely the first known depiction of a gas chamber in comics (see last panel on the back page) within the story "Cuore garibaldino - Nuovo episodio", written by L. Peverelli with art by Vittorio Cossio.

The 1945 and 1946 year runs are pretty rare, paper was low quality straight after the war.

The last copy I have. It comes from a bound volume. Trimmed, glue on spine.
Page quality is nice, anyway. Still meaningful piece of comics history to have.

Asking $26 / 23€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

Spoiler

NfVO4aV.jpg

YDvLN3X.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

On 4/12/2022 at 8:51 AM, vaillant said:

Intrepido Anno XIII No_53 (Casa Editrice Moderna, 1946) - Copy C

Italian comics journal, this year run is from the immediate post-war. This specific issue features what is (as for the bombing of the Monte Cassino Abbey in Topix) very likely the first known depiction of a gas chamber in comics (see last panel on the back page) within the story "Cuore garibaldino - Nuovo episodio", written by L. Peverelli with art by Vittorio Cossio.

The 1945 and 1946 year runs are pretty rare, paper was low quality straight after the war.

The last copy I have. It comes from a bound volume. Trimmed, glue on spine.
Page quality is nice, anyway. Still meaningful piece of comics history to have.

Asking $26 / 23€

NfVO4aV.jpg

YDvLN3X.jpg

Take It.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:14 AM, vaillant said:

Albi di Pippo No_5 - "Pippo e il Dittatore" (A.V.E., 1948)
VG-

Renowned italian comics author Benito Jacovitti started his collaboration as a 16-year-old boy early as 1940 with the italian journal "Il Vittorioso". During 1945, towards the end of the war, he continued his "Pippo" series with this story, published on the catholic university magazine "Intervallo" and then collected in its album form (this one) in 1948.

The first chapter of a trilogy about war and peace, this is the less common of the three albums. All are in black and white, back cover in color.

Asking $50 / 45€

5FGFTu8.jpg
Ae1F4uZ.jpg

Here’s how the splash page appeared originally on "Intervallo":
PoYLWyr.jpg

Inside pages from the album edition:
BWfRFrb.jpg
AnyVrDj.jpg

Take It.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:27 AM, vaillant said:

Albi di Pippo No_16 - "Pippo e la Guerra" (A.V.E., 1949)
VF-

Second installment of the war-themed trilogy, first collected in this albi edition with the custom cover.
Not easy to find in such a nice shape.

Asking $45 / 40€

gxLsKeo.jpg

Inside pages (enlarge for super-fun detail):
Y5gw4TW.jpg
iyh0ZCK.jpg
mUwzzkY.jpg
ECr3F9K.jpg
DkTBZX7.jpg
KELVI2u.jpg
4NZO1Lk.jpg
LWLiGPU.jpg
84jgovH.jpg

Take It.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, vaillant said:

Albi di Pippo No_17 - "Pippo e la Pace" (A.V.E., 1949)
VG+ (2" spine split, stain urc fc)

Third chapter of the war-themed trilogy, first collected in this albi edition.
And my favorite cover of the three. lol

Asking $35 / 30€

a70qmCV.jpg

Inside pages:
SS4hEPd.jpg
xg2Ew6s.jpg
KbsCr2c.jpg

Take It.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:01 PM, vaillant said:

Robinson Anno I No_4 (May 13, 1945)
In about VGFN shape (hard to grade these journals).

Italian anthological comics journal which started about a year after the liberation of Rome.
It presents exclusively American comics as a result of the abolition of the ban on publishing foreign characters imposed by the fascist regime.

The first twelve issues contain characters from comics books dating back to 1938.
The journal stops its publication after a mere two years of life on 12 April 1947.
This is issue 4, featuring, among others, The Flame. Rare.

Asking $80 / 74€

JDBhmQe.jpg

eQw4MOM.jpg

Take It.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, vaillant said:

Intrepido Anno XIII No_53 (Casa Editrice Moderna, 1946)

Copy A

This copy is well-loved, paper browning at the top, I’d say in the GD range but hey, it’s a super-cool item to own!

Asking $35 / 32€

JrIEWYt.jpgG9gxdgP.jpg

Take It.

(Am I possibly doing a repeat "Take" here?  I'm not sure ...)

On 4/12/2022 at 9:16 PM, MusterMark said:

Take It.

I think both Copy A and C are still available, as thecollectron picked Copy B. I will check. :)
Thanks much! :whee:
I am very glad this material is appreciated and I hope it starts interest around the themes and the various countries publications of the period.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, vaillant said:
On 4/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, MusterMark said:

Take It.

I think both Copy A and C are still available, as thecollectron picked Copy B. I will check. :)
Thanks much! :whee:
I am very glad this material is appreciated and I hope it starts interest around the themes and the various countries publications of the period.

I'll take both, thanks!  :)

On 4/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, vaillant said:

Four Favorites #8 (Ace Comics, December 1942)

FRGD

The Unknown Soldier story in this issue contains weird ideas and sensitive themes associated with the war events: deformed people from a circus "freak show" working as agents for the Japanese betray and are in danger of being killed.

Usual features continue: "The Corpses That Wouldn't Stay Dead"; Lash Lightning vs. Dr. Diablo (with Lightning Girl). "Master of the Roto-Dynamo"; Magno and Davey vs. The Clown. "Pay Dirt Gamble" text story starring Jess Cattlee by Ralph Powers. Untitled Captain Courageous story; Flood waters roar in the Mississippi. Untitled story featuring Captain Gallant and His Mini-Sub.

On the inside cover: ad: the 4 Favorites Give Uncle Sam a Hand public service announcement to buy War Bonds and to salvage old paper, metal and rubber.
Inside back cover: Untitled Murphy's Mess Boy story, ---script by Lou Ferstadt (as Looey) and Harvey Kurtzman (as Kurtzman), one of his earliest works.

A copy of this book in VG++ condition went for a crazy price on eBay recently.

This copy has a delicate cover a large tear on the bottom part of front cover (see picture) and a small tape repair in inside cover top right corner.
Cover has some brittleness on the right side, but inside pages are nice and pretty supple. I would grade it as a FR+/FRGD.

Asking $650 / 600€

Gtu3GmM.jpg
i9axOGf.jpg

mfbNbIR.jpg

88xVJ9Y.png

take 

Since the italian and french comics journals are large, difficult to picture and show adequately, I was wondering what might be more of interest to list.
So I will make a small informal "poll".
First, I have a beautiful sequence from 1939 of L'Audace (the journal where Ciclone/Superman appeared later on in 299) running from 276 to 285 — almost full run.
These are rare, and a very important historical run: Mondadori bought the title from the previous publisher and basically made it a showcase of what represented the top italian talents of the time: Angelo Bioletto with his amazing Don Quixote (which would have subsequently influenced Pierlorenzo De Vita in creating the Disney version featuring Donald Duck), Italy’s very first villain to become the star of a comic strip, the nefarious Virus, Sorcerer of the Dead Forest, drawn by master illustrator (and later "GGA" advertising star) Walter Molino, Rino Albertarelli seminal westerns, which would have been sort of forerunners of Bonelli’s fortunate Tex Willer, and many more amazing italian strips, intertwined with american material (Popeye, Tarzan, etc.).

When Gian Luigi Bonelli purchased L’Audace most of the amazing features were brought by Mondadori on the most successful of his own journals, the italian Mickey Mouse, Topolino. Included in this lot is also a copy of Topolino #356 (1939) featuring the very first appearance in Italy of Mickey Mouse outwits the Phantom Blot (obviously predating the american collected edition in Four Color #9)

Here’s some pictures:
TiWpmtp.jpg

Opening page of the very first episode of Virus (on L’Audace #276):

uT9aiE7.jpg

Bioletto's Don Quixote:

HZ9rJne.jpg

More Virus villainy:
ZTKpF07.jpg oV6yRCZ.jpg

The first appearance of the Phantom Blot in Italy:

IDIwi0c.jpg

Then I have two issues of the uncommon journal Le Journal de Toto.
Toto was a kid sailor created by Spirou's creator Rob-Vel before of Spirou himself. Similar in themes and ideas. It was published in France up to 1940, when the german occupation resulted in the "nazification" of the press and the closing of most children publications (and the launch of the aforementioned Le Téméraire instead, in 1943).
On Toto the war begins to peep out in two of Toto's own story arcs, but even more relevantly, it constitutes the setting of a very original strip, Boule de Neige, Tirailleur Sénégalais, which features a "daredevil" character of a pugnacious and humorous black soldier, and his french comrade. The whole story runs across issues #156 through #171, which is the final issue before nazist occupation of France. I assure you that they are pretty scarce, and uncommon in nice shape. I have two duplicate issues in nice shape (and I am acquiring more as I am missing a number)., #166 and #167 IIRC.

Here’s a pair of pictures.
kdBPGZn.jpg

zUnQMn1.jpg

vEmYluw.jpg

Then I have a run of L’Intrepido issues from 1946, the ones preceeding the gas chamber issue that I listed and was purchased. It’s a very long story and the full year runs of 1945 and 1946 are rare.
Many of these are in very nice shape, and scarce. They contain episodes leading to the scene in #53, with german soldiers, beautiful women, partisans, a field priest, exploiters and jackals.

About ten issues or a bit more. Here’s a pair of pictures:

1R2ueeA.jpg

ivqw8nn.jpg