• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worldwide WW2-Interwar - Comics, propaganda and more
4 4

142 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 11:14 AM, vaillant said:

USA in Wort und Bild #12 (1952)
 - Copy A
VF (slight rust on staples)

:news: I have found a slightly nicer copy for the previous purchaser, so this copy is available once again.
I will add some picture of the insides if there is interest.

"USA in Wort und Bild" ("USA in words and pictures") was a DDR propagandistic magazine about supposed political, economic, moral, cultural and general social grievances in the USA and their effects on politics and life in West Germany. The editor-in-chief was the writer and journalist Alexander Georg Friedrich, which also directed the radio broadcast "Die Wahrheit über Amerika" ("The truth about America").
This issue has relevance for comics history as it contains an article titled "Das suße Gift" ("The sweet poison") about anti-communism as a means to corrupt youth, Topps and the comic books industry mentioning Fredric Wertham.  Digest sized.

Asking $45 / 41€

PtvKAB4.jpg

BtU98cY.jpg

I wanted to make sure everybody else had a crack at this, since I got the other copy.  If nobody else wants it, I'll be happy to purchase a second copy. :) 

:takeit:

On 5/7/2022 at 4:51 AM, SOTIcollector said:
On 4/29/2022 at 5:14 PM, vaillant said:

USA in Wort und Bild #12 (1952)
 - Copy A
VF (slight rust on staples)

:news: I have found a slightly nicer copy for the previous purchaser, so this copy is available once again.
I will add some picture of the insides if there is interest.

"USA in Wort und Bild" ("USA in words and pictures") was a DDR propagandistic magazine about supposed political, economic, moral, cultural and general social grievances in the USA and their effects on politics and life in West Germany. The editor-in-chief was the writer and journalist Alexander Georg Friedrich, which also directed the radio broadcast "Die Wahrheit über Amerika" ("The truth about America").
This issue has relevance for comics history as it contains an article titled "Das suße Gift" ("The sweet poison") about anti-communism as a means to corrupt youth, Topps and the comic books industry mentioning Fredric Wertham.  Digest sized.

Asking $45 / 41€

PtvKAB4.jpg

BtU98cY.jpg

Expand  

I wanted to make sure everybody else had a crack at this, since I got the other copy.  If nobody else wants it, I'll be happy to purchase a second copy. :) 

:takeit:

Many thanks!
I’m going to list the few items I prepared in order to wrap up the thread and do the remaining invoices — besides having little time right now, given the very positive welcome, I think it would be great to run a new one when I’ll have accumulated enough nice similar material of interest.

So sah ich mich. Aufzeichungen des PW 31G-5181013 (J. Stampfl, 1952)
    ("That's how I saw myself. Records of the POW 31G-5181013") by Walter Hofmann (Waldl)

This is Waldl’s second collection of cartoons, after the famous "Lacht Ihn Tot!" which I already listed. At the end of the war, like many former SS members, the cartoonist was held in a POW camp, and these cartoons testify his personal experience.  Unlike "Lacht Ihn Tot!", which basically collected satiric cartoons already published on the SS journal "Das Schwarze Corps", "So sah ich mich" material is brand new.

I do not know German, but the feelings one gets by browsing the cartoons is a mixture of disillusionment, conflict, humour and melancholy.

This is the first German edition, which came out a few years after Waldl’s liberation from the camp, in 1952. There is a later reprint from a different publisher, which came out in 1978.

Very nice copy, letterpress printed linen cover without the original dust jacket (which appears to be pretty rare, it took me a while to find one including it).

Asking 39$ / 35€ :news: SOLD via PM

1s9XUIp.jpg
WG0Kg3e.jpg
Dgeridh.jpg

F7AeAnc.jpg
cRPMABc.jpg

q4CC26t.jpg
3xPyxkA.jpg
wdH0mUk.jpg
ZdVPZ3x.jpg
LRahO3u.jpg
sm5XQRs.jpg
1vyQKLk.jpg
JC71pp4.jpg
MnRWcQh.jpg
vPPhEo7.jpg
XtrvjhY.jpg
mGsvEX0.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Il Vittorioso (A.V.E., 1941)
Issues 2, 3, 4 from the 1941 run.

"Il Vittorioso" has been the starting point of my research. Published from 1937 up to 1966, the journal, conceived by the publishing division of the italian Catholic Action, had since its beginnings the aim to educate while entertaining.
For this reason, a lot of care was taken in producing comics of good quality, and the choice was to have them all produced by italian authors (as opposed to most journals which published excellent US syndicate strips material).

These issues include installments from Romano's sixth war themed adventure, "Mare Nostro" ("Our Sea"), early Jacovitti with his "Pippo" which would "explode" a few years later (he was just sixteen when he started the strip!), Sebastiano Craveri’s masterful and surreal "Il Castello dei Pupazzi", where drawings come to life to haunt his animal characters of the "Zoo" family, and another strip drawn by Caesar, "Beowulf", an adaptation of the Old English epic poem.

The copies are in pretty nice shape, especially #3 and #4-

Asking $18 / 17€ each

5axV7r6.jpg
X70hvN2.jpg
Ru634SR.jpg

vn6ZWL3.jpg
5t2Mwuz.jpg
tWuUreH.jpg

xHd3ctA.jpg
ehPlt7H.jpg
CJehqmi.jpg

Le Journal de Toto (1937-1940)
No. 166, 167

"Le Journal de Toto" was a french comics journal published between 1937 and 1940, whose flagship character, Toto, conceived by Spirou's creator Rob-Vel and his wife, was a boy sailor.
Starting with issue 141 war themes begin to appear in the stories, and 156 sees the launch of a new strip dedicated to a pretty original character, “Boule de neige tirailleur sénégalais”, a black soldier enrolled in the French Army, created by the great french comics author, René Pellarin aka Pellos.

The tirailleurs were a corps of colonial infantry in the French Army, initially recruited from Senegal, and subsequently throughout Western, Central and Eastern Africa.
Alessandro Costantini, a historian, noted that the two protagonists, Boule de Neige and Totoche, are «two heroes in the moral, narratological and military sense of the term, and also two who are not integrated into the "good society". As sociologically marginal, they use a centrifugal language, marginal in turn: "parisian argot" in one case, "petit-nègre" in the other».

What I find most fascinating is the characters' personalities, especially Boule de Neige, hilarious when they clash with Wehrmacht soldiers. Clever, original and fun, a character like "Boule de Neige" would have been pretty unlikely in, say, an american or italian comic.

This is a lot of two of the rare last issues, before the title was canceled with #171 (as most of the others) when Germany occupied France, each one feature an episode of Toto and Boule de Neige, among other features and american strips ( Tracy).

Asking $40 / 36€ each
or $70 for the pair :news: SOLD to MusterMark

66d5rYB.jpg
icHsYBX.jpg
OvtvCRK.jpg

ckNhy4U.jpg
rlXZ3aw.jpg
DeWsNFX.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Il Vittorioso (A.V.E., 1941)
No_12, 13 

"Il Vittorioso" has been the starting point of my research. Published from 1937 up to 1966, the journal, conceived by the publishing division of the italian Catholic Action, had since its beginnings the aim to educate while entertaining.
For this reason, a lot of care was taken in producing comics of good quality, and the choice was to have them all produced by italian authors (as opposed to most journals which published excellent US syndicate strips material).

Other two issues from the 1941 year run with the gorgeously drawn Romano pages by Kurt Caesar. 

These issues include installments from Romano's sixth war themed adventure, "Verso A.O.I." ("Towards Oriental Italian Africa"), "Verso il paese dell’oro" ("Towards the country of Gold")
also drawn by Caesar, the story of a boy and his father living an adventure in Klondike, and Craveri's futuristic "Tabuì il cane meccanico", with the unexpected adventures of a robot dog.

#12 is about a VG, #13 is in pretty nice shape.

Asking $18 / 16€ each or
$30 / 28€ for both

snN1Juo.jpg
SStqM0O.jpg
J7nA7MO.jpg

NrH6tgf.jpg
hSzhpFi.jpg
D0d2UrV.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Spirou Special Nöel 1944 (Dupuis)

Copy B - VG-

Another copy of the special (not numbered) issue from the 1944 year run of the belgian french journal Spirou, featuring this merry cover with the character parading in a jeep with American soldiers.

Pretty solid lowgrade, obvious wear, tiny pieces/bits out of upper right corner and bottom, some fraying on spine, 1" spine split at the bottom. Single staple holding well.

Asking $65 / 59€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

LK9I5jA.jpg

Edited by vaillant

On 5/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, vaillant said:

Le Journal de Toto (1937-1940)
No. 166, 167

"Le Journal de Toto" was a french comics journal published between 1937 and 1940, whose flagship character, Toto, conceived by Spirou's creator Rob-Vel and his wife, was a boy sailor.
Starting with issue 141 war themes begin to appear in the stories, and 156 sees the launch of a new strip dedicated to a pretty original character, “Boule de neige tirailleur sénégalais”, a black soldier enrolled in the French Army, created by the great french comics author, René Pellarin aka Pellos.

The tirailleurs were a corps of colonial infantry in the French Army, initially recruited from Senegal, and subsequently throughout Western, Central and Eastern Africa.
Alessandro Costantini, a historian, noted that the two protagonists, Boule de Neige and Totoche, are «two heroes in the moral, narratological and military sense of the term, and also two who are not integrated into the "good society". As sociologically marginal, they use a centrifugal language, marginal in turn: "parisian argot" in one case, "petit-nègre" in the other».

What I find most fascinating is the characters' personalities, especially Boule de Neige, hilarious when they clash with Wehrmacht soldiers. Clever, original and fun, a character like "Boule de Neige" would have been pretty unlikely in, say, an american or italian comic.

This is a lot of two of the rare last issues, before the title was canceled with #171 (as most of the others) when Germany occupied France, each one feature an episode of Toto and Boule de Neige, among other features and american strips ( Tracy).

Asking $40 / 36€ each

or $70 for the pair

66d5rYB.jpg
icHsYBX.jpg
OvtvCRK.jpg

ckNhy4U.jpg
rlXZ3aw.jpg
DeWsNFX.jpg

Take (both for $70 please).  Thank you.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, vaillant said:

Spirou Special Nöel 1944 (Dupuis)

Copy B - VG-

Another copy of the special (not numbered) issue from the 1944 year run of the belgian french journal Spirou, featuring this merry cover with the character parading in a jeep with American soldiers.

Pretty solid lowgrade, obvious wear, tiny pieces/bits out of upper right corner and bottom, some fraying on spine, 1" spine split at the bottom. Single staple holding well.

Asking $65 / 59€

LK9I5jA.jpg

Take.  Thank you.

:news: I am going to send out the remaining invoices and wrap up the thread.
If there is interest for the remaining items, please send me a message.

Given the very good welcome of materials and topics, I wish to run a new sales thread with the same focus, so hopefully I will find more interesting material in the meanwhile.
Thanks to everyone, especially those which purchased and made it possible!

OK, @gunsmokin, @Eddy707 and @Xeno1997 are ready will be mailed very soon.
I apologize to the others, but I have not been able to invoice everyone. I will have a convention next week (20-21 may) so I prefer to invoice afterwards not to keep payments hanging for too long.

Thanks for your patience! :)

On 4/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, vaillant said:

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943) - Copy B

"Le Téméraire" was a famous "collaborationist" french comics journal published in Paris from January 1943 to August 1944. From January 1943 to the Liberation, it was the only magazine for young people distributed in the german occupied France.
Authors feartured include Erik (André René Jolly) with "Fulminate et Vorax", Francis Josse with "Marc le téméraire", Vica (Vincent Krassousky) with strips of his character Vica the sailor, and Auguste Liquois with "Vers les mondes inconnus” (a Flash Gordon inspired science fiction epic with racial overtones).

In issue 18, a Ku-Klux Klan feature becomes a means to express the anti-americanism of the collaborationist government. Author J. Savary teaches us that all the officers of the Klan were Freemasons, whose contributions gave rise to rebates and since the Klan dared to attack the Jews who control the American press, the latter, with the help of the 1934 elections, dealt the group a fatal blow.

This is a pretty scarce issue. I can take pictures of the other strips in the insides if you want. :)
Asking $60 / 55€ :news: SOLD to Xeno1997

Hide contents

c4GhCpZ.jpg
WTqJQmg.jpg

This one is just nuts!!!

@vaillant I'm always asking my sister- in-law to keep her eyes out for anything comic/WW II related when she shops (She lives in Cenaia near Pisa) Where do you find your stuff?

Edited by Calidream'n

On 4/20/2024 at 5:13 AM, Calidream'n said:

@vaillant I'm always asking my sister- in-law to keep her eyes out for anything comic/WW II related when she shops (She lives in Cenaia near Pisa) Where do you find your stuff?

• Non-Italian stuff: mostly on eBay, similar auction sites and European dealers when I can navigate the language (e.g. French or German).
• Italian stuff: everywhere, but mostly at conventions or again antiquary booksellers online (though local portals), or auction sites. Unfortunately antiquary/vintage comics shops are very rare nowadays, as most shops started in the 1990s to follow the american initial model and started to keep just new comics / new releases.
• Non-Latin based languages Countries stuff: It's a gamble indeed!

On 4/19/2024 at 7:12 AM, TheComicsPreacher said:

This one is just nuts!!!

Indeed, one of the most interesting publications of the period. Occupied France, and Paris in particular, are mysterious multi-layered nexuses of history.
This issue has become darn rare… I noticed it was already more difficult than others when I picked the ones I sold, but while other issues surface, the early ones and this one seem to be tough!