• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this considered to be a detached staple on the front cover?

7 posts in this topic

Hi. I've acquired a copy of Hulk 181. The front and back cover and still firmly attached at the top staple, however, I noticed a small rip/gap at the bottom staple. The back cover is still attached to the staple but because there is a small rip on the front cover at the staple, I am wondering if the front cover would still be considered attached (for grading purposes; blue label, blue label with mention of detached staple, green label)? I've annexed a picture of said staple. Any help would really be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_3682.jpeg

It's a staple tear until the cover comes loose.  :wishluck: It'll be a significant downgrade for the tear as is, but when that cover comes loose, it's a major hit to the grade plus usually a label mention of the detachment beyond that.   

I would get it graded ASAP since it's a Hulk 181 and pray it doesn't come apart at CGC from handling.  And then baby that slab when you get it back.  

On 4/7/2022 at 9:56 PM, Vintagecomix said:

Hi. I've acquired a copy of Hulk 181. The front and back cover and still firmly attached at the top staple, however, I noticed a small rip/gap at the bottom staple. The back cover is still attached to the staple but because there is a small rip on the front cover at the staple, I am wondering if the front cover would still be considered attached (for grading purposes; blue label, blue label with mention of detached staple, green label)? I've annexed a picture of said staple. Any help would really be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_3682.jpeg

The book would be graded normally, no note of detached cover on the label, but likely in the grader's notes.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Would it be worth it to use archival tape?

Tape, archival or not, is never the answer. Especially for a book like this.

Only time tape is acceptable is for a beater, worthless book that only has sentimental value to read or something like that. Tape, even archival, will only cause more issues down the line.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, Phill the Governor said:

The book would be graded normally, no note of detached cover on the label, but likely in the grader's notes.

I totally agree, and have seen graders notes before that state something like "Front cover detached from top staple".