• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off center magazine slabs
3 3

28 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, steve566 said:

Telling of what? Haha the most common slabbed mags I could find were playboys and sports illustrated.. didn’t see the centering issue with sports illustrated for some reason though.. guess it’s a size thing

Some people do say with PB it most definitely is a size thing. :blush:

Joking aside, as others have posted, the bend to the right; there I go again; should not be.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, oakman29 said:
On 4/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, steve566 said:

Telling of what? Haha the most common slabbed mags I could find were playboys and sports illustrated.. didn’t see the centering issue with sports illustrated for some reason though.. guess it’s a size thing

Bigger is better. My wife tells me all the time.😎

The question is.....

Edited by Jeffro.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, steve566 said:

These are both oversized comics, neither come close to fitting in a regular sized slab unfortunately. 

They are bigger than what fits in a normal comic slab but smaller than a full sized magazine like you pictured. 

No its not shaken comic syndrome. The inner well is set in this off center position

I’ve seen others set off center just like mine.. here’s some quick examples I found on eBay 

A5B1DABD-49BA-47B8-8914-DF6E93F5F1E5.jpeg

BBD4CA69-6A4B-4F0B-8772-FAF58C50B789.jpeg

75E2D543-2272-4F41-A92C-023CE3114EFA.jpeg

wondering it’s worth the hassle to send in as a ME or if CGC truly set these mags like that on purpose 😵🥴

This appears to have been done due to the odd size of these books, because some books don't fit into standard-sized wells. It can be due to thickness, height, width or any combination of the three. So, in certain situations, the encapsulation team will either affix a wedge to the inner well that forces the book over to one side or, in rare cases, they won't even use an inner well and slab the book in what's called "lid-to-lid" encapsulation. This does appear to be happening more often lately, and I have to admit it's not ideal, but there are times when you must ask yourself if you'd rather have it slabbed like this or not slabbed at all. In my mind, the only other course of action would be to resubmit the books and hope that something else can be done, but my feeling here is this may be the best that they can do...

On 4/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I'm no PB aficionado, but isn't the bottom mag Pamela Anderson?  You try to be funny on the CGC forum and find out it's all business here.:roflmao:

On 4/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Fail

On 4/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, oakman29 said:

I am king of my castle. 😎👍

I'm out.

It was the Vampirellas...

On 4/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, The Lions Den said:

This appears to have been done due to the odd size of these books, because some books don't fit into standard-sized wells. It can be due to thickness, height, width or any combination of the three. So, in certain situations, the encapsulation team will either affix a wedge to the inner well that forces the book over to one side or, in rare cases, they won't even use an inner well and slab the book in what's called "lid-to-lid" encapsulation. This does appear to be happening more often lately, and I have to admit it's not ideal, but there are times when you must ask yourself if you'd rather have it slabbed like this or not slabbed at all. In my mind, the only other course of action would be to resubmit the books and hope that something else can be done, but my feeling here is this may be the best that they can do...

Thanks! I appreciate the insight.. I’ll just leave them be