• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inviting Comments On Rarity Of New Fun Comics

50 posts in this topic

Nice set, Jon. (thumbs u

I'd love to get my hands on a few of these New Funs (restored OK, as long as pages are decent - I'm with rick on this), but haven't really been trying all that hard... :sorry:

I was offered NF 2-6 last year (4 of the 5 are restored)....and, Motor City has had a nice restored NF 1... but, in the long run, I passed due to lower page quality (though, if anyone is interested, I still have access to them, they belong to a private collector)... decided The Comics Magazine 1-5 would be more historically challenging (still need a #1!)

I have seen some copies that I have graded "sneezable". You sneeze and the book will disintegrate due to poor page quality. By the way anyone who can jump on a #6, do so. First Siegal and Shuster. A must for historical continuity of the 'superman thing'. jb

Not to go against the bigloo but why not let the auctions ride out and then offer to buy all three fro around his asking price. Or are you worried somebody will buy them and thus the question.

I was offered them before they went up on e-bay actually, and then another collector offered me a #3. All of a sudden I am confronted with essentially being able to buy the majority of the New Fun Comics so hence the question: Is now the time I need to act (or face kicking myself later on) or will this happen again in the future?

I think you will be kicking yourself if you don't act unless your willing to wait another few years for all of these to show up at once. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What would motivate the Dentist to sell these books? Gearing up for a run at some of the books coming up on Heritage perhaps?

:bump:

Well, found this old thread from a link in the Gerber 9 thread.

Mark: It looks like you did pick up this run of New Fun from Dave in the end. As far as you know, has this been the only run of these books since 2005 or have you been able to upgrade on these copies already?

Sometimes, certain rare books will show up a few times in a short period ot time, making them seem not quite as rare as you think. But once this brief moment has passed, they woun't show up again for several years. Is this the case with the New Fun run as far as you can tell? hm

I haven't purchased any upgrades yet. I watch every major auction and have an automatic search for New Funs via ebay and the only time since this that I have seen multiple issues at once was through Jerry Weist. I believe a UK collector bought most of the 3 or 4 issues Jerry was selling. I have seen very few issues, almost all restored, through Heritage and, as Steve mentioned, Motor City has had a restored #1 for sale for years also. I usually attend the SD Con, Javitts, Phila and Balt and other than Motor City there are never any New Funs.

I do know one collector who has a couple of the issues and I believe two copies of the Big Book, but none are for sale.

So, they are not quite Gerber "9"s as once thought, but could still be true Gerber "8"s. Even if every copy surfaced and they turn out to be "7"s, they still remain true rarities among comics.

Mark, after you answer Lou's questions, I'd be interested to know your current view of how scarce the New Fun books are and how you would rank them in order of scarcity now that you have had a couple of years to look for them.

They have still shown up so rarely that I still find it difficult to assess.

The #1 seems to be available with the greatest of frequency.

The #1 seems to be available with the greatest of frequency.

What about the others? How would you rank the 6 issues?

You're a royal pain. Damn lawyer, I was trying to avoid the question. :baiting:

Let me think about it. ;)

I was about to file a motion to compel.