• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inviting Comments On Rarity Of New Fun Comics

50 posts in this topic

As no doubt most of you know, I am building a run of New Fun Comics #1-6 and More Fun Comics #7-127. Given that the six issues of New Fun were published in 1935, and were some of the earliest modern comic books, needless to say they are quite difficult to come by, particularly unrestored.

Though not explicitly stated, I presume Overstreet considers the New Fun Comics as rare and the #2 is specifically listed as "very rare".

Gerber lists #4 and #5 as a "7", #1, #3 and #6 as "8" and #2 as a "9".

I just recently picked up a #4 in VG unrestored (scan will be posted in my More Fun Comics thread), and I have been offered a #3 in VG/F with some slight restoration. There are copies of #2, #4 and #5 on e-bay now and I have seen them. In the two or so years I have been buying from auctions, I have only once seen New Fun Comics offered, and I have only on one or two other occasions heard of New Fun Comics being offered.

How "rare" is "rare" for these books? A major collector mentioned to me recently that he thought there were only about a dozen #3s around. Is that true? Does anyone on the boards have New Fun copies? If so, what grades? Have you seen copies around in other collections?

Not extremely rare in low grade but in mid grade or better they are hard to find. Have seen all the books except MF #10-15 in fair to g+ never in anything over a vg. Seen all the other contemporary titles in better shape but not these. I would say there are probley quadruple Gerber numbers in collectors hands many of course ungraded. It is the unseen/not in collectors hands that have to be drummed up.

Mark.

I owned New Fun #1 in fine minus 5.5 unrestored and sold it to Steve Geppi in 2001.I also had an unrestored New Fun #6 in fair condition.So i am some what familiar with these early books.

I would say the #1 is the most common.I have seen about 10 of these in the last decade in various condition.

I have seen about 8 of the number#2.

about 6 of the # 3

about 5 of the #4

about 7 of the #5

and about 6 of the #6 [none of the above being duplicates]

All in the single digits over the last 10 to 12 years of going to all the major shows

and going to all the major auctions and such.They are all tuff to find but YOU WILL find them,each and every one pops up from time to time.Getting them in fine or better and unrestored,thats another story. This is one mans observations in my comicbook travels.

Thanks guys. From your experiences, while I know that certainly they will show up from time to time, would you recommend when they do show up that I jump at the opportunity? Presuming the price is reasonable of course. To what extent have you seen the prices rise over the years?

And what correlation have you seen (or believe should be) with respect to the purchase price and OS?

Thanks guys. From your experiences, while I know that certainly they will show up from time to time, would you recommend when they do show up that I jump at the opportunity? Presuming the price is reasonable of course. To what extent have you seen the prices rise over the years?

And what correlation have you seen (or believe should be) with respect to the purchase price and OS?

If you can buy them at or close to guide, do it. thumbsup2.gif

At or above guide for up to vg

Slightly below full guide below that...

Above fine up to double guide or way more based on the sanity of the seller and buyer.

Hi Mark.

I would jump at the opportunity of a New Fun 1 or 6 in v.g unrestored condition.

I would not jump at just any one that pops up [they are not impossible to find,they are just tuff to find]Patience is the key in this arena and it will pay off if you have the patience to wait for one of the better copies.I dont think the price of a #1 or a #6

[the keys] will ever be reasonibly priced however in unrestored condition.Better shot at that with 2,3,4 and 5.Does CGC slab these oversized books? Ive never seen a New Fun in a slab.

I have not followed the price action of these books for years,so i wont comment on that.

Ahem, I said I knew this in the intial post. makepoint.gif

I've already seen these copies in person. And all of a sudden I have an opportunity to buy 4/6 New Fun issues. The only issue to me is do I pay the price, or wait?

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation? poke2.gif

In the mid/later 80's, I owned very low grade (FRish) copies of New Fun #2 and #5 for a while. Traded them off to God-Knows-Who (though I'd love to find out who it was... It was at a Central NJ Con sometime around '86 or '87?) and I would assume that at least the #2 would have wound up restored... It wasn't such a terrible copy, but it did have an almost completely split spine. Great candidate for some "conservation". I certainly let it go too easily, but I was young and had a taste for early SA Marvels and DCs. I got a great stack of books (early FF's, Flashes, and JLAs) for the small amount of money I had invested. These days I kick myself whenever I think about it.

I would assume that despite the fact the the #2 is the one listed as "Very Rare", it's the #1 and the #6 that are really the most desirable in the set. 1st Newstand DC with #1is a big deal, and Dr. Occult in #6 is an underrated key IMHO. Seems like the prices have adjusted accordingly over the years. Not much of real historical interest in the rest of the set, but damn those tabloid sized books are cool! I remember that at the time I had custom-made Mylars made for them. I had to order something like ten as a minimum order, so I used the rest to store other high-end books I had at the time, two per sleeve.

If I had the funny $$$ and someone offered me these books right now at Guide, I would buy them in a heart-beat. They were the first books I ever owned that really felt "important".

I should have looked at this post before I replied.

Oh, ... I don't know for sure... I can't be certain, but I think that the #2 and the #5 in these auctions are the copies I once owned... Though I don't remember the #2 looking that nice, it was a long time ago. The #5 seems dead-on the my memory. I'd love to hear the history of these books. Obviously I can't be sure, but I think these might be the copies that I metioned in the post above.

Since I can't afford them, I really hope Mark bites. thumbsup2.gif

I should have looked at this post before I replied.

Oh, ... I don't know for sure... I can't be certain, but I think that the #2 and the #5 in these auctions are the copies I once owned... Though I don't remember the #2 looking that nice, it was a long time ago. The #5 seems dead-on the my memory. I'd love to hear the history of these books. Obviously I can't be sure, but I think these might be the copies that I metioned in the post above.

Since I can't afford them, I really hope Mark bites. thumbsup2.gif

What price do you think these will end up at? popcorn.gif