• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor God of Thunder Key Issues
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I'm reading the collected trade edition of Thor: God of Thunder #s 1 to 5 (Gorr the God Butcher story-line), but am curious about some of the key issue designation in this series:

-Has the market settled on issue #4 as Gorr's second appearance even though Gorr also had a small cameo appearance in #3?
-Is issue #5 considered Gorr's origin even though there is hardly any reference to Gorr's origin story? I think #5 might have Gorr mentioning that he originated from a forgotten world but I didn't see any other origin details in it. I see lots of ebay listings claiming that #5 as the Origin of Gorr issue so it makes me wonder.
-Issue #6 is Gorr's detailed origin story and #5 seems to be a very brief origin of Gorr?
-Issue #25 is the first appearance of Jane Foster as Thor in the 616 Marvel Universe? This issue is not part of the Gorr God Butcher story arc but I'm intrigued if this will emerge as a prominent key issue in the future.

P.S. Yes, I know that the big keys in this run are issue #2 (first Gorr) and #6 (first cameo appearance of Knull), but am curious about the investing potential of more minor keys like #5 and #25. 

BTW, I'm loving the Esad Ribic art work, it's fantastic! What a fantastic collaboration between Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. I will be reading #s 6 to 11 (God Bomb story arc) next.

Thanks for any info about the above issues.

Edited by phineas_horton

Love this book. God of Thunder is top modern reads in my eyes. 

Outside of issue 2 which is what everyone really seems to dig into, I don’t really see anything of serious consequence.

Gorr’s design is literally the only thing I am not entirely in love with for that series. 

I have always wanted to get issue 1 Quesada sketch, but I think I missed out. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, D2 said:

Love this book. God of Thunder is top modern reads in my eyes. 

Outside of issue 2 which is what everyone really seems to dig into, I don’t really see anything of serious consequence.

Gorr’s design is literally the only thing I am not entirely in love with for that series. 

I have always wanted to get issue 1 Quesada sketch, but I think I missed out. 

I would also add issue 6 in the mix as it is considered as the first cameo appearance of Knull. While Venom #3 from the Cates run is the bigger issue since its his first appearance, I also see this issue as being a key if Knull ever comes to the MCU which I can see happening in 10 years.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:57 PM, captainzombie said:

I would also add issue 6 in the mix as it is considered as the first cameo appearance of Knull. While Venom #3 from the Cates run is the bigger issue since its his first appearance, I also see this issue as being a key if Knull ever comes to the MCU which I can see happening in 10 years.

I agree. I think Knull coming to the MCU or to the Sony Spider-universe is a big possibility in the next 5 to 10 years.

Edited by phineas_horton