• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES TO ASTONISH 101 - ????
4 4

70 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, DR.X said:

Point Five thanks for pointing this out. Here's what I see, and some pics to boot. I missed this. WTF. Glad you seen it. I was going to run a sales thread with a nice run of Astonish books, but I'm going to postpone it, until I look over the covers of all these copies, again to make sure. Thanks so much, and everyone else who chimed in here.

It is obvious someone color touched that darker pink spot. Looks like droplets of some kind in that area also. I can actually scrape the color of some of the spots.

As you can see in the pic of the inside, it's obvious the pine bled through and it was touched up with white. You can actually feel the lump of material where it was covered up.

Like I said, I bought many of these books over 40 years ago. It goes to show people were doing this krap in there homes or alley's when no one was looking .  I learned something here. Slow down and look a little closer. Point Five  gets the no prize.

20220413_120850.jpg

20220413_120915.jpg

Oooooo...nice closeup.  I couldn't see that without the photo getting blurry on me.  Yikes!!! :facepalm:

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, Galen130 said:

Oooooo...nice closeup.  I couldn't see that without the photo getting blurry on me.  Yikes!!! :facepalm:

It's not easy to spot looking directly at the book. Natural light always works best at an angle sometimes. Like I said, I need a good beating. LOL.

Edited by DR.X

On 4/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, DR.X said:

It's not easy to spot looking directly at the book. Natural light always works best at an angle sometimes. Like I said, I need a good beating. LOL.

FTFY

:deadhorse:

On 4/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I agree with your original assessment of a VG/FN 5.0 - FN- 5.5 without the completely detached centerfold, however, I do not agree with statements that say the detached centerfold in this grade range does not affect the grade.

The grading standards specifically state...

GD 2.0 "Centerfold may be Loose or Completely Detached"

GD/VG 3.0 "Centerfold may be Loose or Detached at One Staple."

VG/FN 5.0 "Centerfold may be Loose."

Knowing this, a book that would otherwise grade higher has to take a hit for a completely detached centerfold.

I do not have my books graded so this is all speculation on my part, nobody knows what CGC's grading standards are, I have read numerous threads on this site detailing/discussing CGC's inconsistency in grading from one point in time to another and what they are now being lenient on regardless of what the "available" grading standards (Overstreet, Heritage) state.

Having said all of that, IMO this book with a detached centerfold should grade at a VG 4.0 Max.

All adding staples or having the centerfold reattached is going to do is eliminate a Blue Label, for a book that is relatively inexpensive I would just leave it and enjoy the book as is.

Exactly this.  The grading standards don't say, "..unless it's an otherwise nice copy, and then it can be a 7.0."

On 4/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, DR.X said:

Point Five thanks for pointing this out. [...]

20220413_120850.jpg

20220413_120915.jpg

20220413_120850 (2).jpg

Cheers, my pleasure. (And ouch, sorry... we've all been there.)

It's odd because some of the whitish splatter droplets have bits of pink in them too. Trying to think what would even look like that. Some kind of candle wax perhaps?

On 4/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, Point Five said:

Cheers, my pleasure. (And ouch, sorry... we've all been there.)

It's odd because some of the whitish splatter droplets have bits of pink in them too. Trying to think what would even look like that. Some kind of candle wax perhaps?

I'm going to look at this closer tomorrow, and might even put a light on it to see if I can tell what the he ll this is. I'll get back if I discover some new evidence in this crime scene.

giphy.gif

Edited by DR.X