• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very new to this grading scene and have a couple questions.

5 posts in this topic

I am having a hard time figuring out what tiers of grading service's I should choose for the books I want to send in. What price points do I go by? Can I have an already cgc slabbed book cracked open, pressed, and graded again through the services provided? I believe with a pressing this $60 score could be close to a 9.6 afterwards.

IMG_20220409_172504_01.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mr. Meef said:

I am having a hard time figuring out what tiers of grading service's I should choose for the books I want to send in.

• What price points do I go by?
  • Can I have an already cgc slabbed book cracked open, pressed, and graded again through the services provided?
  • I believe with a pressing this $60 score could be close to a 9.6 afterwards.
  • What you think the grade is, and what it would be worth if it had to be replaced.
  • Yes.
  • What makes you believe this?

In current grade, GPA values this book at $190 from a sale at the end of 2021.  I don't have a clear sense of precisely what CGC would charge for cracking, pressing and cleaning and regrading/reslabbing this book, but the value of it at 9.6 is less than $500, although it is climbing a bit.  If you believe the book will become substantially more valuable in the future - and you end up being right in your guess - then it's probably worth doing.  In the short run, I would imagine you'll eat up a lot of the equity you have between what you paid and what a 9.6 is worth (assuming as noted above, it can actually fetch a 9.6).

I should add: have you looked at the grader's notes (if any) for this book?  Remember it's possible there is some kind of interior problem that would rule out a higher grade, even with a press and clean, that is not mentioned in the grader's notes.

Edited by MattTheDuck