• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm out. Time to get out of comics...for me.
4 4

88 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, mlovest said:

Thank you all for your comments.  Obviously, we all approach collecting in our own way.  This is what's right for me.  I will keep some items that are really meaningful to me, and I will always have a warm spot for Spidey.  It's just hard to see so much money in my closet that can benefit my family and other priorities.  Also, I have a real concern about leaving thousands of comics for my family to deal with should something happen to me.  If money was no issue, I would keep going, but I think this will be best.  I may change my mind and decide to get back in, and then I'll assess what' affordable and fun for me going forward.  My kids still want to hit an occasional comic show, and I'm good with that!

Again, thank you for your comments, and best of luck with your collections!  Definitely buy what you love, and enjoy your collection.

V/R, Mike

That is understandable. I see myself reaching this point eventually as well, though I fear my spending addiction would just turn that new money into the products of a new hobby. :)

On 4/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, october said:

I read that as "strippers" and immediately pictured you on a powerboat with a captain's hat, chasing exotic dancers on a lake Benny Hill style.

I'm going to pretend that is reality and no one can stop me. 

I read it the same way and thought "fluke" must be a euphemism.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, october said:

I read that as "strippers" and immediately pictured you on a powerboat with a captain's hat, chasing exotic dancers on a lake Benny Hill style.

I'm going to pretend that is reality and no one can stop me. 

Not a problem,  nothing like a good "folk tale" for me to discuss at shows.

I'm quickly losing a lot of my zeal for comics lately, too, but that's because I'm still one of the rubes buying new comics every week.  With more and more cover prices creeping into the $6-$10 range, most with bland, bloodless writing and awful, coloring-book-style "art," there's really not a lot out there to get excited about.  It's been bittersweet to drop certain titles after buying them consistently for decades, but it really says something about current Marvel and DC that even though I survived through some truly bad runs throughout the years, the current crop of writers is so much worse that they're finally driving me away.  (shrug)

On 4/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, Gonzimodo said:

With more and more cover prices creeping into the $6-$10 range

Shows how out of touch I am. I quit back when the cover price was raised from $2.99

For a handful of comics each week, that was high enough for me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, StingerMcK said:

Your average issue from the major companies is $3.99.  Anything more has extra pages

Fairly stable over the last ten years or so, then.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, StingerMcK said:

Your average issue from the major companies is $3.99.  Anything more has extra pages.

Yes, the typical monthly book is $3.99.  Batman and Detective Comics recently went up to $4.99 monthly.  (Detective actually went weekly at $4.99 for a couple months.  Yikes!)  Batman miniseries and one-shots are typically being priced in the $5.99 - $7.99 range.  To be fair, though, a lot of their oversized Black Label books are reasonably priced from $5.99 to $7.99.  Marvel seems to throw darts to determine their prices.  First issues (of which there are many) are usually $4.99 or $5.99.  A random "anniversary" book will hit you for $8.99 or $9.99.  :tonofbricks:

Like you, I feel the need to only own NM books and it sucks

Can't help it though, my brain is wired wrong. I see a crunched corner and shake my head in disgust. I watch movies, the actor is reading a comic and all I can think about is the damage he's doing to that poor book.

Anyhow, you'll be back...and we'll all be here to welcome you!

9_9

On 4/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, lostboys said:

Like you, I feel the need to only own NM books and it sucks

Can't help it though, my brain is wired wrong. I see a crunched corner and shake my head in disgust. I watch movies, the actor is reading a comic and all I can think about is the damage he's doing to that poor book.

Anyhow, you'll be back...and we'll all be here to welcome you!

9_9

Yep...makes it really tough, but that's how my brain is wired as well!

I'm always torn between owning high grade books that have sentimental value to me (like the first comic I bought myself, or the first one I ever bought of a certain title) and owning keys of books I never actually owned in the past in my original collection, but want them now because they are considered keys for one reason or another.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:12 AM, blazingbob said:

Buy a boat and go fishing.  I did that last year.

Besides,  now it is Captain Bob as I'm traveling through the bays chasing stripers, sea bass and fluke.  

Who needs FF #1, X-Men #1's.  

I want to go Striper fishing on the East Coast. Plenty of West Coast Stripers but never did the East Coast thing.

Blazing Bob's Fishing Charters has a nice ring to it......

Edited by Kramerica