• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $1M+ Club
4 4

55 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 5:15 AM, sfcityduck said:

The BZ D31 might have a chance given some of the crazy numbers paid for traditionally less valuable Promise books based on covers that might not rate as high for GA collectors as D31

image.jpeg

The amazing BZ collection is the stuff collectors' dreams are made of. Thanks for sharing that old pic he originally posted! :-)

On 4/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, sagii said:

I think these are the books not yet in the club that could do it in the 'right' grade

Incredible Hulk #1

All Star Comics #8

Incredible Hulk #181 (9.9)

X-Men #1 

Fixed.  It appears the AS 8 CGC 9.4 entered the $1M club last year in a private sale Roy brokered for an undisclosed price (he just brokered this year the MH Supes 1 sale).  

On 4/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, originalisbest said:

And All-Star #3... and Detective #27... only "complaint" about this amazing collection he was so smart to acquire, no Action #1. :)

I don't recall him ever posting he has no Action 1.  He did post he didn't acquire an Action 1 in the 2,000 books that came from the garbage can in D.C.  But that was just a part of his collection.  As that pic shows, he literally posted walls of comics that make clear his collection is LOT more than 2,000 books. That cabinet contains no Actions or Tecs, even though he had them (what's in the other cabinet to the right I ask myself).  He also stated he acquired other GA collections that he likened to his own private pedigrees - even stating the last names of at least five OOs.  The 2,000 lot of books was just the best quality of those collections he'd picked up I think.  And it is hard for me to believe that a guy who was actively collecting and attending cons (and doing some dealing) at least as soon as the early 1960s did not acquire an Action 1 for his collection given that he went to the trouble to acquire things like the check from D.C. to Shuster for work on Action 1.  But, I've never met him, and can only go by what he said on this site.  Folks who know him might have a better understanding of whether he has an Action 1..

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/20/2022 at 11:53 AM, sfcityduck said:

Fixed.  It appears the AS 8 CGC 9.4 entered the $1M club last year in a private sale Roy brokered for an undisclosed price (he just brokered this year the MH Supes 1 sale).  

:headbang:

You're the man in the know sir! 

@sfcityduck on a separate note, you did a very compelling and informative Thread in the gold section.

Would like to see a companion Thread when the last Promise Collection book has been auctioned at HA with pie charts of the collection broken down by publisher and genre if that's something you're up for. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:06 AM, sagii said:

:headbang:

You're the man in the know sir! 

I wish.  Just reported over on the GA board the (or is it "a"?) AS 8 CGC 9.4 is coming to auction at Heritage.  So we'll get to see what the present auction value is.  

On 4/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

I don't recall him ever posting he has no Action 1.  He did post he didn't acquire an Action 1 in the 2,000 books that came from the garbage can in D.C.  But that was just a part of his collection.  As that pic shows, he literally posted walls of comics that make clear his collection is LOT more than 2,000 books. That cabinet contains no Actions or Tecs, even though he had them (what's in the other cabinet to the right I ask myself).  He also stated he acquired other GA collections that he likened to his own private pedigrees - even stating the last names of at least five OOs.  The 2,000 lot of books was just the best quality of those collections he'd picked up I think.  And it is hard for me to believe that a guy who was actively collecting and attending cons (and doing some dealing) at least as soon as the early 1960s did not acquire an Action 1 for his collection given that he went to the trouble to acquire things like the check from D.C. to Shuster for work on Action 1.  But, I've never met him, and can only go by what he said on this site.  Folks who know him might have a better understanding of whether he has an Action 1..

He might have an Action 1 somewhere at that! I just recall him saying the group under discussion had a Tec 27, a Supes 1 -- but no Action 1.

So just thinking out loud about it, there's a number of scenarios that would be "a dream come true" for comic collectors -- finding that one amazing amount of bundles that BangZoom did, and finally convincing the guy to sell (you can't have everything, but it'd have been even better if he'd been the one to directly rescue them as they were put out to the trash!)

Also thinking of the relatively modest in scope, but amazing shape Allentowns. Wonder what it was like to see that best Detective 27, 29, etc.

And probably the king would be Chuck's discovery of the Mile Highs in Edgar's basement. Although, the Spokane books (precodes being near and dear to my heart) must have been something to see for the first time when uncovered...

Maybe I'll just wait for that pedigree book to come out! ;)

On 4/21/2022 at 9:39 PM, originalisbest said:

And probably the king would be Chuck's discovery of the Mile Highs in Edgar's basement.

Chuck was the luckiest comic collector/dealer ever.  Within a few short years he found the greatest stash of GA comics ever (MH), followed up by the greatest stash of comics ever (MH2).  Those are the top two discoveries ever.  Bar none.

On 4/22/2022 at 1:04 AM, sfcityduck said:

Chuck was the luckiest comic collector/dealer ever.  Within a few short years he found the greatest stash of GA comics ever (MH), followed up by the greatest stash of comics ever (MH2).  Those are the top two discoveries ever.  Bar none.

Good point, I forgot about his MH2 find. All in his tales from the database recounts. :)

On 4/22/2022 at 2:04 AM, sfcityduck said:

He had his share of fortune, but I suspect he also had his share of hustle. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, sfcityduck said:

Batman Comics 1 (2021) (probably number three in $1M+ copies with double digit numbers)

Wowza, double digit count for the number of potential Batman 1 that could sell for a cool million.  :whatthe:

How far down the grading scale would that take us down to as I imagine it might take somewhere around GC 7.5 based upon how hot the current market is?  hm (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Wowza, double digit count for the number of potential Batman 1 that could sell for a cool million.  :whatthe:

How far down the grading scale would that take us down to as I imagine it might take somewhere around GC 7.5 based upon how hot the current market is?  hm (shrug)

15 copies 8.0 and above is my estimate.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 4/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, lou_fine said:

15 copies 8.0 and above is my estimate.

My thinking is that it might be at CGC 7.5 considering that Goldin was able to auction off their CGC 8.0 graded copy of Bat 1 for some $1.47M last September and now it's being offered for fractional purchasing through Rally Road with a total market cap of something like $1.8M.  hm

Then again, the $1.47M price point might just be an outlier or dare we say since you don't believe in it, the Larson pedigree status for this copy might have also helped to push the price upwards to a slightly higher than normal price point.  :bigsmile:

BTW:  Does anybody here know how Rally is doing with the sale of this Batman 1 or have they not been able to sell all of their IPO shares to this point in time. (shrug)

On 4/20/2022 at 12:01 PM, sfcityduck said:

I believe he stated on a few occasions that the Campbell books were about 1000 in number, not 2000.    As you say he had lots of other non Campbell books though.   Those were just his gems and the single source purchase he hung onto.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:33 AM, Bronty said:

I believe he stated on a few occasions that the Campbell books were about 1000 in number, not 2000.    As you say he had lots of other non Campbell books though.   Those were just his gems and the single source purchase he hung onto.

I stand corrected as  "about 1,000" is the number for the books BZ said were bought at a Campbell Bros store.  But, I think he hung onto other single purchases.  He stated: 

In theory, I like the idea of comic pedigrees, unfortunately in practice it becomes a little less fun for me. Probably 95% of my collection was purchased from original owners. The 'pedigrees' in my collection are not known by fandom, they're only known by me. When I look at most of my comics, I can spot the Kolmorgan, Foote, Starr, Clarke, and Gilchrist issues immediately. It makes the collecting a little more special."

There are strong reasons to believe that the "Campbell" books were really the "Gilchrist" books.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, sfcityduck said:

I stand corrected as  "about 1,000" is the number for the books BZ said were bought at a Campbell Bros store.  But, I think he hung onto other single purchases.  He stated: 

There are strong reasons to believe that the "Campbell" books were really the "Gilchrist" books.

Could be.   I'm referring to them as the Campbell books because he said one of the original owners bought them at a store called Campbell's.    That doesn't necessarily mean that was his name for them, perhaps he's naming them in his own mind after the original owner rather than the purchase location.