• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
6 6

1,015 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2024 at 1:31 AM, The Lions Den said:

I was hoping you'd create this version...

It was a no brainer once I saw the finished painting. Other than the obvious prelim/finished look to these covers, the main difference that I see is that the finished (unused version) seems to be an animated hand clutching at the door. The used prelim art always left me thinking it was a severed hand lying on the floor.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:56 AM, OtherEric said:

So, how do we want to continue from here?  For at least a few weeks, I can take over the Sunday initial post for the week if people want me to do that.

I will dig out my copies and see what I have to read and contribute to the thread. 

Vampirella #14- November 1971

According to the Warren Magazine Index:

14. cover: Manuel Sanjulian (Nov. 1971)

1) Vampi’s Feary Tales: Ladies Of Misfortune [Tom Sutton] 1p   [frontis]

2) Vampirella: Isle Of The Huntress! [Archie Goodwin/Jose Gonzalez] 20p

3) The Wedding Gift [Nicola Cuti/Mike Ploog] 7p

4) The Sword Of Light [Sam Glanzman] 9p

5) Deadman’s Treasure! [Lynn Marron/Tom Sutton] 9p

6) Vampi’s Flames: Doug Moench Profile/The Crimson Heel!/The Prisoner/The Entity/The Last Blast! [Doug Moench, Fuat Ulus, Ron Lovett, John Kaska & Dan McGee/Cara Shorman, Robert Shugrue, Jose Munoz, Vivian Jane Amick & Glen Abrams] 2p   [text article/stories]

7) Wolf Hunt [Joe Wehrle/Esteban Maroto] 7p

Notes: Great issue!  True, the Vampirella story was no great shakes (but then, they rarely were) but the rest of the issue was dazzling.  Sanjulian’s cover was one of the best of the early Vampirella run.  Esteban Maroto made his first Warren appearance (and it’s a beaut!) in ‘Wolf Hunt’.  Mike Ploog illustrated a darn good Cuti story.  The legendary Sam Glanzman turned in his only Warren work and it’s a fine, fine job!  Lynn Marron made her professional debut with a solid story and Tom Sutton, who probably illustrated more stories by first time writers than anyone else at Warren, provided her with an equally solid art job.  Another South American pro, this time the great Jose Munoz, saw his sample art stuck on the fan page.

A few notes:  Since I'm taking over the post the weekly starting block duty until further notice, I'll hold off on my personal thoughts on the issue for about a day to see if any discussion happens, and to give the thread a bump.  I won't promise to be quite on the nose time-wise as @Axe Elf was, although I'll try very hard to get it posted before I go to bed Saturday nights.  And I'll start posting the images of my copies of the issues with the opener posts, rather than when I give my review.  Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions people have: this has always been a group project, and it should continue that way.  Here's hoping that Axe Elf will be back soon to take back over, we're still trying to figure out a way to contact him or his family.  On a very different note, I highly recommend getting some contact info out to some other boardies you trust, so if something like this does happen we have a better chance of finding out what's going on.

Sorry if some of that is a bit of a downer; let's move forward and enjoy this weeks issue! 

Vampirella_014.jpg

One of the better issues from this era, IMO.

Very solid artwork and some pretty entertaining stories as well. Not my favorite cover, but still very well done with an interesting color scheme. Maroto's art on "Wolf Hunt" is pretty outstanding, and it doesn't hurt when you have Gonzalez, Ploog and Sutton (among others) backing you up. 

Overall, a really solid issue which comes close to reaching the heights attained by issue #12---all that's really lacking here is another great story by Wally Wood.  (thumbsu

Vampirella #14 thoughts:

Cover: A very nice piece by Sanjulian, I think the big border also works better than usual here, giving a claustrophobic feeling to the art, as well as some depth.

Feary Tales:  A nice couple of short pieces by Sutton; and I really like the Vampi-as-host panel as well.

Isle of the Huntress:  This is what I'm talking about.  The various subplots start to merge and the story is long enough to breathe, with gorgeous art by Gonzales and a genuinely clever and touching denouncement.  Great stuff.

The Wedding Gift:  Nice art by Ploog but I'm not sure I understand the ending of the story.

The Sword of Light:  Sam Glanzman is best known for his autobiographical stories dealing with WW II, he would have been a natural for Blazing Combat.  Instead his only Warren work is the excellent fantasy story he turns in here.

Deadman's Treasure:  Lynn Marron is not a name I'm familiar with.  They have a handful of credits for Warren and a couple dozen across comics in general, including a few with Warrant.  It's a good debut with excellent art from Sutton.

Wolf Hunt:  So, we get to see Wehrle's one script for Warren, having seen his one art job a few issues back.  And the script doesn't impress me any more than his art did, it's an ugly and nasty rape plot.  Some beautiful art by Maroto doesn't put this one into the win category but definitely brings up the score for the story.

This was a strong issue overall, with excellent art throughout, even if a couple of the scripts didn't quite live up to the illustrations.

Well here goes my first try at a review.

Vampirella #14:

I’m usually not a fan of border covers but I agree with @OtherEric that this blue border especially with the yellow outline really enhances this Sanjulian painting. It is one of my favorites. Perhaps it is that along with the beautiful gal, there is that looming cyclops. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad was a movie that impressed young me, and made me a fan of everything cyclops!

Feary Tales: Good art on just ok features. How can a headless woman scream? O.oIMG_3379.thumb.jpeg.441705dd61ba9b4885722d3c41794216.jpeg

Isle of the Huntress: A really solid story in script and art. Mixing shades of The Most Dangerous Game and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Gonzalez at his best with the opening splash showing the depth of field with varying ink weights.IMG_3380.thumb.jpeg.9b7c2e2492cf437d8d83726020d92eb9.jpeg

The Wedding Gift: Ploog art is always a treat and we get to see see him draw curvy women and some creatures. My take on the ending was a nod to the Woman’s Liberation movement.IMG_3381.thumb.jpeg.474789aec4f54b70e38282078d571b17.jpeg

The Sword of Light: Really like the art on this one. The story needed a couple more pages to flesh it out better IMO, but was enjoyable. I thought this page was done well with the extensive crosshatching.IMG_3384.thumb.jpeg.d09700f62b97c5e1a438a269719dde06.jpeg

Deadman’s Treasure: A very nice story that was paced well. The Sutton art was good as usual except the pirate character looked more ape like than backwoods swamp dweller for some reason.IMG_3385.thumb.jpeg.b1ad723eea48b5ce4a150e042849533d.jpeg

Wolf Hunt: Simply stunning art by Maroto! The plot is kind of bare and brutal but works well within the story as to why the wolf would break its code not to prey on humans. By his actions he became less than human, and therefore could be consumed as an animal.IMG_3386.thumb.jpeg.5b1ec1429865a5402819297875a385b1.jpeg

Overall a great issue from cover to cover. Strong art and good scripts make this a top issue in my book! I also loved the double page spread highlighting the Vampi Annual too!IMG_3387.thumb.jpeg.1a26e55c4143efa643d2907e5fa03c15.jpeg

On 4/29/2024 at 11:49 PM, OtherEric said:

@Jayman:  It's possible that Sutton was just warming up for his legendary run on Planet of the Apes in a few years.  Although Ploog did some classic work on that series as well.

Maybe. Either way it does not make or break the story for me. It just seemed a bit ogre ish for no particular reason. Sutton was probably just having fun with it! (thumbsu

On 4/29/2024 at 8:57 PM, Jayman said:

Maybe. Either way it does not make or break the story for me. It just seemed a bit ogre ish for no particular reason. Sutton was probably just having fun with it! (thumbsu

To paraphrase myself from when we first encountered Sutton in the reading group, one of Sutton's signature tricks is using exaggeration with the precision of a scalpel.  Here, I think it fits the modern version of character perfectly, while also working as a dramatic contrast when he reverts to the more eloquent reincarnation of the pirate captain. 

Also, thank you so much for joining the reviews, I should have said that in my last post.

Creepy # 43- January 1972

According to the Warren Magazine Index:

Cover: Ken Kelly (Jan. 1972)

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: The Golden Sun Disk Of The Incas [T. Casey Brennan/Richard Corben] 1p   [frontis]

2) Three-Way Split [Dennis P. Junot/Jorge Galvez] 8p

3) The Mark Of Satan’s Claw [Fred Ott/Jaime Brocal] 10p

4) The Men Who Called Him Monster [Don McGregor/Luis Garcia] 14p

5) 1971 Comicon Awards Go To Frazetta And Goodwin… [?/?] 3p   [text article w/photos]

6) Quest Of The Bigfoot [R. Michael Rosen/Jerry Grandenetti] 6p

7) Creepy’s Fan Club: Richard Corben Profile/The Last Vampire/Now I Know/Friend Or Fiend?/The Realm Of The Mind/Wanted: A Husband/Unwelcome Visitor [Richard Corben, David Yeske, Rich Cook, Joe Letts, Christopher Caliendo, James Olcott, L. T. Simon & Wayne Carter/Richard Corben, Atherton, Steven Assel, Solano Lopez, Ramiro Bujeiro & Tim Boxell] 2p   [text article/stories]

8) Mirage [Gerry Conway/Felix Mas] 8p

Notes: The highlight of this issue was Don McGregor’s script and Luis Garcia’s {in his Warren debut} artwork for ‘The Men Who Called Him Monster’.  The story may also have featured the first inter-racial kiss in comic history, which only came about because the artist misunderstood McGregor’s instructions for that panel.  The lead character in that story was physically modeled after actor Sidney Poitier. The 1971 Warren Awards went to Frank Frazetta for best cover from Vampirella #7, best script to T. Casey Brennan for ‘On The Wings Of A Bird’ from Creepy #36, best art to Jose Gonzalez for ‘Death’s Dark Angel’ from Vampirella #12, best all around writer to Archie Goodwin for his work on Vampirella and best all around artist to Wally Wood.  Solano Lopez was already a South American professional when his sample work ended up on the fan page.  The fan page also undergoes a slight retitling while Tim Boxell, who would do quite a lot of underground and alternative comics, made his comics debut there.

Not a lot to say before looking at the issue as the reading club enters 1972.  I've had a very hectic weekend, so I may be a day or two later than usual getting my thoughts on the issue posted here.  But if you have thoughts on the issue, big or small, you don't need to wait for me to start the discussion.

Creepy_043.jpg

Thank God for Sundays! The one day of the week where I can relax a bit and enjoy the simple things in life... 

In my opinion this is another solid issue, and it really does reflect how the old and the new were coming together for Warren at the time. The art and stories are decent throughout, even if there are a couple of stories that fail to be very memorable (your mileage may vary).   

For me, the real standout here is "The Men Who Called Him Monster" with its unflinching nod to Sidney Poitier and great art by Luis Garcia (not to mention that totally unexpected interracial kiss).

I also appreciate even one page of Richard Corben artwork (as well as his profile on the fan page and a bit of his art on the letters page, too). Add to that a striking Ken Kelly cover and the awards from the 1971 Warren Comic Art Convention and you have a pretty enjoyable issue.  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den