• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,198 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2024 at 12:56 PM, OtherEric said:

Overall, an excellent issue.  No all-time classics in this issue- even the Corben story is really a step forward rather than where he ends up- but the baseline here is extremely high.

I agree completely. Another strong issue with a wide variety of talent on display...  

Creepy #46 thoughts:

I did not correlate the contents of this issue with its cover till I opened it up. Having said that, I may be a bit biased with my review as it brought back some fond memories. I know I had a double of this issue and when I went to get it I encountered more than one choice.

IMG_3785.thumb.jpeg.d288fee8e48147d2c56a0de60dfede81.jpeg

Like most collectors would, I chose the worst copy to pull out to read. It happened to be my original that my grandmother bought for me when I was only 8 years old. A superb cover by Sanjulian with that oddly square headed hairy hag highlighted in the red doorway along with that menacing fiend rising from the tomb. Just perfect!

Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: The Undertaker’s Model:

An interesting true account of one of the first modern method embalmings. A truly worthy Loathsome Lore entry.

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.88e465c1e5e1871f6662ad25495c7521.jpeg

1 Cross Of Blood:

A very nice introspective approach to a vampire story a la Lestat. The writing elevated this one way above your basic one dimensional vampire tale.

IMG_3787.thumb.jpeg.2ff9d797d6a110c5f9b6fafcbffeed8c.jpeg

Maroto’s art gave a nice gothic feel to this story. I particularly liked this splash.

IMG_3788.thumb.jpeg.cfb506b8df95f60f28283d316bd60c12.jpeg

2 Behold The Cybernite!:

This one made me smile. I remember reading this as an 8 year old with my friend. Sutton’s combination of high tech gadgetry and organic brains work so well together.

IMG_3792.thumb.jpeg.ad156e283039653c848a89ade2ae2cfd.jpeg

This story was so memorable to me and my friend that we would quote the word balloon from this panel and laugh, even years later when we were out playing and one of us fell down or hit our head hard. “BRAIN-BUBBLE CRACKED...LIQUID NUTRIENTS DRIPPING OUT...”

IMG_3790.thumb.jpeg.019b2c66efb9ceba5f46345a1ff2764e.jpeg

3 On The Ninth Day Of Satan:

On The Ninth Day Of Satan my true love gave to me…a story that wasn’t so great! The artwork was nice enough but as @OtherEric said, it got muddled on the timeline and I got confused as how the warlocks were caring for the children. Wouldn’t the children have run away at some point?

IMG_3791.thumb.jpeg.43987cba09f08c64f800688aa32804e5.jpeg

4 I, Invisible:

Another I remember well since originally read. This I can now say was my first introduction to Bea’s art. Did he deserve what happened to him at the end? Perhaps it was meant as a cautionary tale not to meddle with nature.

IMG_3793.thumb.jpeg.bf65eac3cbeee24b65813d4f60089c56.jpeg

I really like to believe Bea had fun drawing all these changing aspects of invisibility on the human body. My guess is that he had a copy of Gray’s Anatomy close at hand.

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.a31785fcdae23f85080d820f1bc1f670.jpeg

5 Spellbound:

A story that 8 year old me refused to read because I deemed it too boring. Having read it now, it seemed like an abridged version of a much more epic tale. Nice art but had a dreary and somewhat unfulfilling ending. (I also spilled my bowl of Co-co Puffs on this splash when I read it originally). You can still see the stain!

IMG_3795.thumb.jpeg.7075000459b396157b7015c4069b6544.jpeg

6 Night Watch:

A nice moody tale of two lonely watchmen trying to keep themselves occupied over the long boring nights. My question was; what place were they watching over? At certain points it looked like a castle!

IMG_3796.thumb.jpeg.31ac6b9085e1b793b4d19b48bd85a581.jpeg

7 Friedhelm the Magnificent:

Another classic tale embedded in my mind is this one by Richard Corben. This may also have been my first introduction to Corben’s fantastic art. I particularly liked the protagonist’s facial expressions throughout, as only Corben could do. There are also some grand scale scenes that are drawn nicely such as the hot air balloon and the final falling perspective that leads to a very satisfying end!

IMG_3800.thumb.jpeg.d68e84f6dd8acc563c65bd9a6771a800.jpeg

Another Loathsome Lore, Monsters of the Id:

Nice art that looks familiar. I wonder if it gets used again somewhere. Interesting but seemed like nothing more than a page filler to me.

IMG_3801.thumb.jpeg.e668113412e9c1c74e3b4b95f790f39e.jpeg

Holding my bias back, I can say this was a very good issue. Great cover with Cross of Blood, Behold The Cybernite!, I, Invisible and Friedhelm the Magnificent being the best for me! Either way, rereading this issue was a great trip down memory lane!

Edited by Jayman

On 7/21/2024 at 12:49 AM, OtherEric said:

Eerie #41 thoughts:

Cover: I think this is generally regarded as one of the all-time classic Warren covers, and who am I to argue?  Although it's so directly based on a panel from the Dax story I would personally give Maroto co-credit for it with Sanjulian.  Beautiful work in any case.

Monster Gallery:  Gorgeous work by Barr here, mostly true to the actual lore surrounding Sawney Bean, with one or two details (such as the time frame) being taken from stories that get conflated with the story.  If I had been running the show I would have used this as the back cover lore page in the Creepy last week, and the Id page as the gallery page here, but it's a bit of a better fit as a gallery page than some.  And, as I've repeatedly observed, we as fans care vastly more about the distinction than Warren ever actually did.

Warped:  An interesting and weird concept by Pagan, undermined by what I think is actually an inferior art job by Grandenetti, rather than one I just don't personally like.

West Coast Turnaround:  Nice Sutton art.  The story itself has aged slightly better than most anti-drug stories of the era, but that's miles from having actually aged well.

Heir Pollution:  The story reminds me of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, honestly.  Which suggests to me the story was actually pretty good when it came out, even if it suffers in the comparison.

The Caterpillars: A bit too absurd for my tastes, and as the third story in a row dealing with a social issue to greater or lesser degree (biological warfare in this case), it feels like this issue is pushing a bit too far in the relevance direction.  Not saying I object to relevance in comics... Green Lantern/ Green Arrow remains one of my all-time favorites... but I feel like Warren should probably stick to one story an issue, or the book starts feeling like it's sold it's heritage for a pot of message.

Derelict:  John Thraxis has two stories at Warren and no other credits I can find.  Paul Neary does around 40 stories for Warren, which is a lot more than I would have guessed going in.  He has something around 3500 credits at the GCD.  This actually appears to be Neary's comic debut, full stop, rather than just his American debut.  (He seems to have had a comic story in The Monster Times at very close to the same time this issue hit the newsstand, although that isn't primarily a comic magazine.)  With all that said, the story isn't very good, honestly... it's essentially a haunted house in space story, and Neary is drawing it far more Science Fiction than Horror style, which doesn't fit the tone.  Never mind that his art at this point is probably best described as "amateur with potential" rather than the pro he rapidly became.

The Safest Way:  Nice art by Gual, but we've got another social issue story by Skeates here.  It may just be me, but in addition to the obvious context of the story it looks like General Simmons is being drawn to resemble Spiro Agnew.  That aside, it's a pretty solid story on its own terms, the problem is I'm sick of message stories in this issue at this point, even if this one is the one that does the best job of being a story as well as a message.

Dax: Chess:  We get a little background on Dax, finally, as well as an interesting story where Dax is forced out of his comfort zone.  The story, while still stand-alone like the other Dax stories, is reaching the point where we know the character and can appreciate the variations.  Plus gorgeous art by Maroto, making this a very strong note for the issue to go out on.

Back issue ad:  This appears to be the point where they ran out of copies of #17, which means it's where that issue started getting its reputation for scarcity.

This is another issue where the total was less than the sum of its parts.  I think all the social issue stories were pretty good for the genre other than "The Caterpillars", and even there the problem wasn't its handling of its issue as such.  I would even say all of them have aged somewhat better than usual as these things go.  But a series of stories going "This is a bad thing and I want you to know I know it's a bad thing" gets very annoying very quickly, even if any one of them works well enough.  So the issue starts on a high note with the cover and gallery, and ends on a high note with Dax, but the middle is a bit one note, and the two stories that weren't both suffer from the artists (Grandenetti and Neary) doing work far below their best.  (Admittedly, that's somewhat unfair to Neary at this point in his career, but hindsight gets in the way.)

Eerie_041.jpg

For me, the front cover is the best part of this issue...    

On 7/24/2024 at 7:29 PM, Stevemmg said:

I apologize for not answering the bell when called for duty. Here is the requested picture of the original art from last week. Painted with the logo area in mind I think. 

IMG_8192.jpeg.0d974c846ebff9334a2ecdd2853fb30d.jpeg

I guess I was wrong about it being cropped on the edges, then.  Thank you for sharing this!

Since I couldn't remember this issue very well, I decided to read it again today. And for once, I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic about it as some of my fellow reading club members are. I didn't hate it, but I can only describe this one as average.

For starters, while I don't hate the cover, the composition seems a little off to me, as if Enrich was experimenting a bit. For me, it almost has a "thrown-together" feel to it. Not my favorite, but to each his own... 

The Feary Tales section also seemed a bit rushed with regard to the artwork and layout; I'm used to seeing better work from Garcia. 

Moving on, I noticed Bill DuBay listed as art director on the contents page, a significant development. I also appreciated the "Inside 18" column on the letters page.  

The Vampirella story was another matter entirely. To be honest, it was so boring and far-fetched I could barely get through it, and the ludicrous plot twists continuously strained the boundaries of credibility. Brennan is usually a very good writer, but this story reminded me of a really bad episode of "Dark Shadows". Thankfully the Gonzalez art saved it from being a complete waste of time, but after reading this drivel, Jim Warren should have immediately sent Archie Goodwin a big bouquet of flowers and other assorted goodies to lure him back into the fold. 

The "Tomb of the Gods" story was much better, but what was the deal with the not-so-obvious Frazetta homage/swipe in the last panel? 

"Song of a Sad-Eyed Sorceress" was the high point of this issue for me, with excellent art by Garcia and a pretty interesting story. Possibly a couple of pages too long, but still enjoyable. 

"Won't Get Fooled Again" was OK, but it seemed as if Moench was trying too hard to come up with a twist ending. And while the title was certainly obvious as a Who reference, the second reference was disguised fairly well within the text. But yeah, I agree it did wear a little thin. I'm just glad Moench didn't write "meet the new ghost, same as the old ghost" or something to that effect.  (thumbsu 

"The Dorian Gray Syndrome" was just OK for me. Mas did a decent art job, but I couldn't help thinking that Tom Sutton may have been a better choice for this one. Ah well...he was probably overworked and underpaid.

So all-in-all not a bad issue, but I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed it...

Edited by The Lions Den

So, we now have an updated rotation of who posts which title, I've got Creepy, @Jayman has Eerie, and @Stevemmg is taking over Vampirella.  And we have one day less than a year to figure out what we do when we start getting other titles in the rotation.  I think Axe Elf would have been very happy to see the club continue... and amused that it's taking three of us to handle the the job he did solo posting the introductions each week.

With that said, here's today's book:

Creepy #47- September 1972

47. cover: Ron Cobb (Sept. 1972)   reprinted from Famous Monsters #43 (Mar. 1967)   [miscredited to Manuel Sanjulian]

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: Not Sherlock by A Long Shot [Doug Moench/Jose Bea] 1p  [frontis]

2) Inside 47/The Story Behind The Story: The Picture Of Death [J. R. Cochran & Jose Bea] ½p  [text articles on the letters’ page]

3) The Land Of Bone [Buddy Saunders/Esteban Maroto] 8p

4) Mark Of The Phoenix [T. Casey Brennan/Reed Crandall] 8p

5) The Law And Disorder [Dennis Junot/Luis Garcia] 6p

6) The Eternity Curse [John Thraxis/Martin Salvador] 6p

7) Creepy’s Fan Club: Reed Crandall Profile/The Scarlet Knife/The Shrinking Man/A Moment!/ Grin At The Grim Reaper [J. R. Cochran, Jody Gilmore, Terry W. Cloud, Horace Heard  & Steve Clement/Reed Crandall, Marc Bilgrey & Pat Boyette] 2p   [text articles/stories]

8) Point Of View [Steve Skeates/Luis Dominguez] 6p

9) This Burden—This Responsibility! [Steve Skeates/Jerry Grandenetti] 10p

10) Futurization Computation! [Bill DuBay] 3p

11) Creepy Book Reviews: Dick Tracy/Horror Comics Of The 1950s/The Comix [Tom Sutton,  Bill DuBay & Greg Potter] 1p   [text articles]

12) The Beginning! [Steve Skeates/Tom Sutton] 6p

Notes: Manuel Sanjulian’s cover came in too late for this issue, resulting in it not appearing until Eerie #123, nine years later.  Cobb’s reprinted cover was a last minute substitute.  Reed Crandall returned after almost three years, but his art had sadly deteriorated a great deal since his last appearance.  ‘The Land Of Bone’ by Saunders & Maroto had the best story & art.  The Skeates/Sutton work was also good. 

I haven't really had a chance to give this issue a look yet, so not a lot of thoughts on the matter yet. 

Creepy_047.jpg

Creepy #47 thoughts:

As soon as I saw this cover, I said to myself, this looks like a FM cover. Turns out it was and they never updated the cover credits. A pretty shoddy cut and paste job and that’s about all I’ve got to say.

Creepy47.thumb.jpg.8fba25fcb6755a3c31ff90cd1ec04aba.jpg

Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: Not Sherlock by A Long Shot:

Yet another figure I had to look up. Quite an interesting fellow but his lore is muddied with embellishments and falsehoods, ie. people still alive after he claimed to have murdered them.

IMG_3906.thumb.jpeg.89e3d11deaa3ab0873fbd6307fa8d70f.jpeg

1 The Land Of Bone:

Beautiful art by Maroto adds eye candy to every page of this sword and sorcery tale with a nice little twist at the end.

IMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.2b8f4ef218de82114c34248451a59287.jpeg

2 Mark Of The Phoenix:

I didn’t find Crandall’s art too bad, as was noted in the index. It seemed a bit cartoonish here and there but the line work was superior. The premise of him running away from his wish seemed strange, but then again, I don’t know how it feels to be burned alive so who am I to say?

IMG_3908.thumb.jpeg.921990877a76b74e5436102874e85e76.jpeg

3 The Law And Disorder:

This one gave me “Kent State” vibes. With the board of trustees willing to use a weapon against the protesting students. Garcia’s artwork was nice as usual but the story was a bit confusing to me. Why was the Prof’s head bandaged up like that for? How did Cohen die at the end, an exploding cigar in his hand?

IMG_3909.thumb.jpeg.f2c41bc265346ccaa34c36f916d6fbdd.jpeg

4 The Eternity Curse:

A fairly entertaining story with nice bits of horror injected into it. It also had a satisfying ominous ending. My only nitpick is why did he wait 5,000 years to exact revenge? 

IMG_3910.thumb.jpeg.dde498acb237ef352204cde7c11e2337.jpeg

5 Point Of View:

Nice to see some Luis Dominguez ink wash art. The story makes you think of those unseen entities that could possibly cause grief and strife in the world. Not too much explanation happens here but the main theme shifts to the man and woman coming back together. A rare happy ending in a way, only they did not print “The End” or have Uncle Creepy close out the story. I turned the page expecting more and found the next story!

IMG_3911.thumb.jpeg.f08314de43f1f8be72a8db2dafc1d535.jpeg

6 This Burden—This Responsibility!:

A kind of quirky futuristic tale of the automated, computerized business world. It’s funny in hindsight that they envisioned everything plugged in and push button ready but still needed to print out everything on paper.

IMG_3916.thumb.jpeg.00dead0fe223845cad54c57e8353c4c3.jpeg

This one ended with an Uncle Creepy quip but either they forgot to paste him in or he fell off right before press time!

IMG_3914.thumb.jpeg.f026e09dba1eed9384130a58a70d863e.jpeg

7 Futurization Computation!:

Disappointing that they chose two similar themed stories in the same issue, let alone following each other. This one was not too imaginative as you could see the twist coming a mile away. I did however see some “shout outs” I believe in the opening splash. In the checkered computer dots it reads “Holy Moley” at the very top of the page and on the middle reads “Hi Mac!!” I wonder who that was for?

IMG_3917.thumb.jpeg.4e4ce4f1dde69af4577d6a2805a332f4.jpeg

8 The Beginning!:

Skeates and Sutton give us an enjoyable mutant tale on this one. Not sure I understood the inclusion of the baby pictures throughout. Perhaps to show his leaning sympathy with the hungry mutants? Either way Sutton delivers on his grotesque visions at the end to wrap up this issue nicely!

IMG_3918.thumb.jpeg.27fb1aa71510a80095849f0c1d13c1c6.jpeg

We also have a second anti-Vietnam ad. You can tell this was a major subject Warren was very passionate about. This particular version asks the reader to clip the coupon and send it in to your congressman.

IMG_3919.thumb.jpeg.38a85e762e921564fb05522113e16d64.jpeg

Another 50/50 issue for me.
A disappointing cover housing only 4 out of the 8 that I liked. Those being (in order): The land of Bone, The Eternity Curse, The Beginning! and Point of View.

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking about it the other day wondering if they would have continued with the art box theme or switched back over to standard full cover. This was the last issue that had it. Ironic that they chose the Dracula cover to pull over from FM given that there isn’t a single vampire story this issue.