• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,117 posts in this topic

Creepy 45:

IMG_3639.jpeg.62d24f5aa8a3fae26bdb95945a261061.jpeg

From the Warren Magazines Index:

Cover: Enrich Torres (May 1972) 

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: The Chiklil Tablets! [Bill DuBay] 1p   [frontis]

2) Creepy Comments/The Story Behind ‘The Men Who Called Him Monster!’ [J. R. Cochran & Don McGregor] 1p   [text articles on the letters’ page]

3) What Rough Beast [Jan Strnad/Frank Brunner] 8p

4) Targos [Jack Katz/Jack Katz & Nebot] 10p

5) And Horror Crawls…From Out Of The Sea! [Kevin Pagan/Tom Sutton] 8p

6) For The Sake Of Your Children! [Ed Fedory/Jaime Brocal] 11p

7) Dungeons Of The Soul [T. Casey Brennan/Felix Mas] 8p

8) Creepy’s Fan Club: Jose Bea Profile/Remember Yesterday/The Cold Earth/Hybrid Of Hell/The Viewer/Out Of The Sea/The Gift/Stare [J. R. Cochran, Tony Boatright, Edgar Dejesus, Randy Williams, Jerome Herskovits, Kevin Schaffer, Barry Aydelotte & Jerry Bradman/Jose Bea, R. Taylor & Surn Iil Oh] 2p   [text article/stories]

9) The Picture Of Death [Jose Bea] 11p 

Notes: Editor: J. R. Cochran.  A short article entitled ‘Creepy Comments’ appeared on the letters’ page, as did the official beginning of ‘The Story Behind…’ series.  A ‘Little Orphan Annie’ strip from Dec. 1971, featuring a Prof. Creepy (who looked nothing like Warren’s Uncle Creepy) is reprinted on the letters’ page.  Future artist R. G. Taylor could be the R. Taylor featured on the fan page.  A pretty good issue with nice work from Frank Brunner and Tom Sutton, and interesting stories from Jan Strnad, Jack Katz, Ed Fedory & Kevin Pagan.  Best story though is Jose Bea’s ‘The Picture Of Death.’

—————————————————

A very creepy cover that I’m not sure the red border hinders or helps the painting. Already read this one last night and will have some thoughts to share soon. Always liked Jose Bea’s art. Nice learning more about him now.

On 6/22/2024 at 7:18 PM, Jayman said:

Ah…Hemmm!

Good Sir, this is the Warren Reading Club. Please kindly submit your reviews of these excellent issues…

:baiting:

A thousand apologies. I read these a very long time ago, and have forgotten. I will bump them towards the top of my pile, but obviously not to the very top (legal reasons): it’ll be a bit. 

On 6/23/2024 at 11:19 AM, KirbyJack said:

Hey, :rulez: rules is rules. 
I’m grateful to have been prodded into rereading!

I peeked at eBay to get a sense of prices for 1-3, and it looks like I’ll be seeking a cheaper way to own them. Does the ‘78 thickbook reprint everything?

You mean this one?

BlazingCombatAnthology.thumb.jpg.ca0d676e0efe037a7d1fa01415eacb40.jpg

I believe it does, but not 100% certain it has the letter and/or ad pages included as I don’t own all the originals myself and can’t compare.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, KirbyJack said:

Russ Heath can really draw. His attention to detail is stunning: Harvey must have made a lasting impression. 

He allegedly used himself as a physical reference for every character in this story. Still one of the best things he ever did, IMHO... (worship)

On 6/18/2024 at 1:48 PM, Jayman said:

Mine too! One of the best things about it was how the ending was not grim, but almost promised hope for a continued existence no matter how small he got. Would have been great if they ever followed it up with his adventures in a sub atomic universe. Hence why this story reminded me of the movie.

On 6/18/2024 at 3:12 PM, The Lions Den said:

A great ending which almost didn't happen due to a difference of opinion. And Richard Matheson's first screenplay, as I recall...

For me, one of the best closing monologues in movie history.

On 6/23/2024 at 7:21 PM, Ken Aldred said:

For me, one of the best closing monologues in movie history.

“I was continuing to shrink, to become… What? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the man of the future? If there were other bursts of radiation, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other beings follow me into this vast new world? So close, the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet, like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens, the universe, worlds beyond number. God’s silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of Man’s own limited dimension. I had presumed upon Nature. That existence begins and ends is Man’s conception, not Nature’s. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away and in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something too. To God, there is no zero.”

”I still exist!”

Edited by Jayman
Missed “I still exist!”

On 6/23/2024 at 7:53 PM, Jayman said:

“I was continuing to shrink, to become… What? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the man of the future? If there were other bursts of radiation, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other beings follow me into this vast new world? So close, the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet, like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens, the universe, worlds beyond number. God’s silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of Man’s own limited dimension. I had presumed upon Nature. That existence begins and ends is Man’s conception, not Nature’s. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away and in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something too. To God, there is no zero.”

”I still exist!”

Hope springs eternal...

On 6/22/2024 at 1:56 PM, Jayman said:

Creepy 45:

IMG_3639.jpeg.62d24f5aa8a3fae26bdb95945a261061.jpeg

From the Warren Magazines Index:

Cover: Enrich Torres (May 1972) 

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: The Chiklil Tablets! [Bill DuBay] 1p   [frontis]

2) Creepy Comments/The Story Behind ‘The Men Who Called Him Monster!’ [J. R. Cochran & Don McGregor] 1p   [text articles on the letters’ page]

3) What Rough Beast [Jan Strnad/Frank Brunner] 8p

4) Targos [Jack Katz/Jack Katz & Nebot] 10p

5) And Horror Crawls…From Out Of The Sea! [Kevin Pagan/Tom Sutton] 8p

6) For The Sake Of Your Children! [Ed Fedory/Jaime Brocal] 11p

7) Dungeons Of The Soul [T. Casey Brennan/Felix Mas] 8p

8) Creepy’s Fan Club: Jose Bea Profile/Remember Yesterday/The Cold Earth/Hybrid Of Hell/The Viewer/Out Of The Sea/The Gift/Stare [J. R. Cochran, Tony Boatright, Edgar Dejesus, Randy Williams, Jerome Herskovits, Kevin Schaffer, Barry Aydelotte & Jerry Bradman/Jose Bea, R. Taylor & Surn Iil Oh] 2p   [text article/stories]

9) The Picture Of Death [Jose Bea] 11p 

Notes: Editor: J. R. Cochran.  A short article entitled ‘Creepy Comments’ appeared on the letters’ page, as did the official beginning of ‘The Story Behind…’ series.  A ‘Little Orphan Annie’ strip from Dec. 1971, featuring a Prof. Creepy (who looked nothing like Warren’s Uncle Creepy) is reprinted on the letters’ page.  Future artist R. G. Taylor could be the R. Taylor featured on the fan page.  A pretty good issue with nice work from Frank Brunner and Tom Sutton, and interesting stories from Jan Strnad, Jack Katz, Ed Fedory & Kevin Pagan.  Best story though is Jose Bea’s ‘The Picture Of Death.’

—————————————————

A very creepy cover that I’m not sure the red border hinders or helps the painting. Already read this one last night and will have some thoughts to share soon. Always liked Jose Bea’s art. Nice learning more about him now.

Never saw#45 before an it’s 😎 

Creepy 45 thoughts:

Cover: I’m leaning towards liking the red around this one. Enrich paints a ghoulish figure and the red border enhances the blood around the mouth IMO.

IMG_3639.jpeg.8a8c26ba18d4274424602d4ed233dfe9.jpeg

Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: The Chiklil Tablets!

The Chiklil tablets sound like something ripped from Erich von Däniken’s Chariots of the Gods. I searched the internet for any reference and found none, excluding a link to the Warren Reading Club! I’m assuming this Loathsome Lore was fabricated for this issue.

IMG_3659.jpeg.1df14c3bf8cc344da02fce65c232b370.jpeg

1 What Rough Beast:

The title is from a line of Yeat’s poem “The Second Coming”. This was an Antichrist type of tale with some nice art by Brunner. A little lofty in its approach with an ending that was just so-so to me.

IMG_3660.jpeg.65e6a1dc98e835e0f8904f65e7259db0.jpeg

2 Targos:

They tried to squeeze an epic story into a ten page slot with this one. I do find myself liking Nebot’s clean line style but the story was a bit on the over ambitious side. This I think would have worked better as a serial such as Dax the Warrior over in Eerie. Such as it was, it felt rushed to an un-climatic ending. 

IMG_3661.thumb.jpeg.d4096cd3f6f8c22d2a6ad6c9f53ba171.jpeg

3 And Horror Crawls…From Out Of The Sea!:

An interesting sci-fi tale with similar aspects to “The Thing” (Carpenter version). Perfect tale for Sutton’s style.

IMG_3666.thumb.jpeg.9ce63e96679ae2ca19c7306fd6b9a4af.jpeg

4 For The Sake Of Your Children!:

I read this one twice as I was sure I missed something. Still not sure I understand “the children” reference. The Vampire’s or the villagers? Then there’s the fact that children were murdered and both times the suspects denied the accusations saying it was a mistake! I did like Brocal’s art on this and it did end in a very chilling scene. Still not sure how Uncle Creepy ended up with the three gals at the closing though…

IMG_3665.thumb.jpeg.f02b9cf345ecdffcb160f28b17f5e61e.jpeg

5 Dungeons Of The Soul:

Nice art and story for this one. Not really a horror story but more fantasy/romance. Being old-school myself, it reminded me of that Star Trek episode where Kirk’s good and evil personalities get split, The Enemy Within. I liked it.

IMG_3664.jpeg.7735e3ed6bbd24c9ae26dd4f89ab386c.jpeg

6 The Picture Of Death:

Good story but was very reminiscent of one from Rod Serling’s Night Gallery. I think Creepy is doing a fairly good job of pairing up writer and artist to date. Bea does double duty on this one and his art works wonderful for his story.

IMG_3667.jpeg.019fd44e93bf7d5cfd6d5cbd20344bcd.jpeg

There were more winners than losers in this issue for me with Targos being my least favorite.

Edited by Jayman