• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,124 posts in this topic

A really cool issue with a great Sanjulian cover (a similar painting was also used as a cover for The Creeps #31). The Frankenstein story is probably my favorite, and the Ploog art is a suitable precursor to the Marvel comic which came out less than a year later. Nice work from Maroto, Kim, Bea and Auraleon, too. Another one of my favorites, and another issue that's really tough to find in high grade.  

On 6/30/2024 at 8:40 PM, Stevemmg said:

IMG_4913.thumb.jpeg.1d522611ef2517d3313d3a683478dc92.jpegYou’ve moved solidly into a sweet spot for me at least over the last few issues and lasting a fair while as we see some of Maroto’s best work for Warren, Auraleon, Bea, Gonzalez, Corben then leading up to Wrightson’s transition over from Swamp Thing , spectacular covers particularly from Sanjulian and Enric.  Oh, what a glorious time!

And how sweet it is...    :bigsmile:

Eerie #40 thoughts:

IMG_3702.thumb.jpeg.7f42e3bf4ea8d674300b2b306ebf12e1.jpeg

Love this cover by Sanjulian. The colors, balance and design all work. Also the hollowed out Eerie logo treatment allows you to enjoy more of the cover while still keeping the name the same size, clever!

IMG_3705.thumb.jpeg.4f9221ccbded9514c54dfc5904b10b08.jpeg

Eerie’s Monster Gallery: Dracula’s Castle:

If any Gallery entry deserved two pages, I’d guess Dracula would be entitled. Although I’ve heard the original pronunciation was “Dragul” meaning the Dragon and “Dragula” meant son of the Dragon. Nice artwork on this entry despite the region being spelled Rumania.

IMG_3701.thumb.jpeg.9dde85b9f6e07cb1a87515df30eda1d7.jpeg

1 The Brain Of Frankenstein:

The reading club has really become an eye opener to little bits of missing comic book history for me. Case in point, I never realized the timeline for Ploog to start his Marvel run of Frankenstein was right after this story. Knowing that now, this was a very decent warm up story! The opening splash was brilliant IMO, using the head of Frankenstein to hold the contents of the panels!

2 The Once Powerful Prince:

A sequel to The Other Side of Atlantis! Great, wanted to see the sea beast Targo has become. Oh wait, we get this instead…

IMG_3695.thumb.jpeg.927934d4c63b7626d500c11db0ca2618.jpeg

This story had some corny plot elements, (ie. gets drunk and loses his magical ring. Meets the villain and says “I met you in a bar once!”) Targo apparently likes to drink more than sea water! Despite this being a prequel, I thought the story was a bit better than the first installment. Not great, but more along the lines of a 70’s Aquaman tale. Except this is a Warren horror book and you get this that would never happen in an Aquaman story. :jawdrop:

IMG_3697.thumb.jpeg.e48017f225e6d3db5639201c1cfe03fb.jpegIMG_3696.thumb.jpeg.ccf8665039aecf6a6c5d5eba38d501ef.jpeg

3 The Paradise Tree:

The second installment of Dax the warrior finds him blissfully enjoying a hunt for game with no anger or remorse for the girl from the last tale. Ah, to be free as the wind such as Dax is. Although he quickly finds himself entangled with yet another beautiful woman courtesy of Maroto. This was a fairly basic tale with stunning art that I really hope builds to a more fulfilling story as we go on.

IMG_3700.thumb.jpeg.c828df8a8f53ff5a22b83289f07a66ce.jpeg

4 Deathfall:

Sanho Kim’s style may not be to everyone’s liking but I have become a fan. I really enjoyed this one the best. It was actually the story itself and how the panels were laid out on paper that made this an excellent story to be read in comic book format.

IMG_3698.thumb.jpeg.a5304456f5413ba7a6f833fb67d00815.jpeg

5 The Prodigy Son:

A carnival freak show, human deformity and an ill fated love affair all combine for an entertaining read.

IMG_3704.thumb.jpeg.dfd1e726a80489a16bc1ca00f36b8c30.jpeg

6 Pity The Grave Digger!:

A Gravedigger relates a tale of Vampires and something even worse to his new apprentice. Rafael Auraleon’s artwork along with a nicely paced script made this one enjoyable.

IMG_3699.thumb.jpeg.1089ace29ae2356281a8dc4d7f574251.jpeg

Another above average issue here for me. Eerie is giving Creepy a run for its money.  Deathfall and Brain of Frankenstein being my top two, but I really enjoyed them all this issue!

Edited by Jayman
Grammar