• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,211 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 1:38 AM, Axe Elf said:

September

CREEPY #47 8/4/2024  
 VAMPIRELLA #19 8/11/2024    
October

CREEPY #48 8/18/2024      

EERIE #42

@OtherEric, @Stevemmg I was getting ready to see the next Eerie to post when I saw the lineup switched up yet again. It looks like Vampi #19 is up next. I assume we are still keeping with the original release dates from the first page? 

Edited by Jayman

On 8/9/2024 at 8:32 PM, Jayman said:

@OtherEric, @Stevemmg I was getting ready to see the next Eerie to post when I saw the lineup switched up yet again. It looks like Vampi #19 is up next. I assume we are still keeping with the original release dates from the first page? 

I see no reason to change the schedule, particularly if we can't edit Axe Elf's original post.  It's a reasonable pattern:  Month of cover date, then books alphabetical within the month.  The schedules on the books varied just enough that I don't know anything would work perfectly, so we might as well roll with it.  I'm also somewhat sentimental about the idea that we're still using Axe Elf's plan.

With all that said, if either of you have an argument in favor of changing it I could probably be easily persuaded.

Creepy 47 thoughts:

Cover:  It looks like a last-minute fill in, doesn't it?  Still, not the worst of their last minute fillers, either.

Loathsome Lore:  An actual lore page for once, largely historically accurate, telling a story that would be easy to dismiss as completely over the top if it wasn't actually true.  An excellent start to the issue.

The Land of Bone:  I think this is Saunders last story for Warren.  As I've suggested, I think he deserves more credit than he gets for the quality of his work.  He goes out with a clever fantasy magnificently illustrated by Maroto.  I particularly like the castle that looks like it might have partially inspired Castle Greyskull.

Mark of the Phoenix:  Reed Crandall returns, and even if the index is right and he's not quite as good as he was, he's still pretty spectacular.  Brennan provides an interesting and effective story as well.

The Law and Disorder:  There's a core of a good idea somewhere in here, but the execution is muddled and the ending seems tacked on and, at least to me, not entirely clear.

The Eternity Curse:  Thraxis's second and last story is actually a big step up from his first, with a nicely played epilogue.  Not a masterpiece, but a solid story.  Although I'm a sucker for anything tied to Ancient Egypt, and have been ever since I was a little kid and the King Tut craze was going on.

Point of View:  A very good story, although it could have used an intro and outro from Uncle Creepy, I also was thrown by the ending not being clearly marked.  I wonder if this was originally done for some other magazine, either overseas or picked up by Warren after it wasn't needed elsewhere for some reason.

This Burden- This Responsibility:  A decent proto-cyberpunk story, with Grandenetti turning in some very solid work after a story or two where I thought he wasn't doing as well.  I still don't care for it viscerally, though.  I suspect this story also worked better when it first came out; I called it proto-cyberpunk, and we've seen a LOT of stories dealing with some of the concepts much better since then.  But that just makes me want to credit it more for being ahead of its time, even if it's not as entertaining on its own terms now.

Futurization Compjtation (sic):  @Jayman, I actually think this works well as a follow-up to the last story.  It's played more for comedy and is much shorter, making it a quick counterpoint to the previous piece that I think works better than it would have elsewhere.

Creepy Book Reviews:  I've actually got two of these, the Horror Comics of the 50's and The Comix.  The EC collection is really one of the first Archive-style books, presenting old comics in a prestige format.  To this day it's a beautiful collection.  The Comix is even more relevant since I think it's the first book that started to place Warren in a historical perspective, and actually reprints stories (not sure how many) from the Warren magazines.  Still one of the only histories that really tried to at least touch on everything in comics to the then current date, from Carl Barks to Robert Crumb.

The Beginning:  A decent story to wrap it up.  I've known how underrated Sutton has been for a long time, unlike some of the creators I'm discovering here, but he's always fun to see.

Overall, an B+ or so issue I think, with a lot of good stories but no all-time classics.

While I don’t have a real review to share, I will say that Creepy 47 is a weaker issue for me starting with the reused cover. The Land of Bone would be my favorite of the issue. As Eric mentioned, they do in fact have book reviews in the issue and the first EC reprint book, Horror Comics of the ‘50’s is talked about. The reviewer says there are more volumes planned, but we know that went a different direction. I do have an original art page from Mark of the Phoenix, so thought I may as well share it. 

IMG_8035.thumb.jpeg.cae8afa0d6f7515a2780d0d3ce6a5d6a.jpeg

On 8/9/2024 at 10:32 PM, Jayman said:

Thank you for the heads up on this!  I would have completely blown the assignment. It works out better for me anyway, as I will be at Pebble Beach for car week. #19 is, of course, an annual issue, so I may even shock you with some commentary on the one new story.  

On 8/10/2024 at 10:16 AM, Stevemmg said:

This issue is graced by quite likely the most recognizable Vampirella image of all time.

Great info already Steve! I fully agree with the above. I would guess that even if some comic fans didn’t know who that was on the cover, they would at least have seen that iconic pose of Vampi before. (thumbsu

On 8/12/2024 at 11:00 PM, Jayman said:

I’m not usually a fan of mini covers used as a background for annuals but Warren used this same layout for Creepy, Eerie and FM too. So over the years they’ve become sort of a classic look that I’ve come to admire.

I also like the way they changed the appearance of the earlier covers by using the new title lettering and different color schemes. And that classic Vampirella rendering is simply the icing on the cake...  :50849494_winkemoji:  

Creepy #48- October 1972

cover: montage/back cover: Jack Davis  front cover reprints 12 covers from different eras of Creepy while the back cover is reprinted from Creepy #1 (Jan. 1965)

1) What Can You Say About An Eight-Year Old Creepy? [J. R. Cochran] 1p   [text article, frontis]

2) The Coffin Of Dracula [Archie Goodwin/Reed Crandall] 16p   reprinted from Creepy #8 & 9  (Apr. & June 1966)   [2 pages edited out from the second part]

3) The Castle On The Moor! [Johnny Craig] 6p   reprinted from Creepy #9 (June 1966)

4) Moon City! [Larry Englehart/Al McWilliams] 6p   reprinted from Creepy #4 (Aug. 1965)

5) Swamped! [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres] 8p   reprinted from Creepy #3 (June 1965)

6) Thumbs Down [Anne T. Murphy/Al Williamson] 6p   reprinted from Creepy #6 (Dec. 1965)

7) The Cosmic All [Wally Wood] 8p   reprinted from Creepy #38 (Mar. 1971)

8) Drink Deep! [Otto Binder/John Severin] 7p   reprinted from Creepy #7 (Feb. 1966)

9) The Adventure Of The German Student! [Archie Goodwin/Jerry Grandenetti] 8p  reprinted from Creepy #15 (June 1967)

Notes: The Creepy Annual now becomes part of the regular numbering. 

So, we continue our slow end of summer as the Annuals continue.  I'm not sure why we don't have Uncle Creepy posing in front of the covers like Vampi did and Cousin Eerie will do on the Annual next year.  The similarly designed Famous Monsters with Captain Marvel is also 1973, not 1972, which is surprising... maybe they were afraid people would confuse the issues with the similar covers, but then why do it in the first place?

I recall somebody posting a version of this they had modified to add Uncle Creepy to the cover, I really wish they had done that with this issue.

Creepy_048.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

Creepy #48 thoughts:

Cover:  Not impressed at all.  The lack of a Uncle Creepy figure, unlike the other covers, makes this one far less interesting.  I think only one of the sixteen issues has a story reprinted in the issue.  And it has not one but two of the covers that were borrowed from Famous Monsters.  Very half hearted work here.

Intro:  Meh.

Coffin of Dracula:  This is a relevant reprint given that they're following the story up in concurrent issues of Vampirella.  I'll even give them a pass on reprinting the 2nd part a third time since it's the first reprint of part 1.  Solid choice with a good reason to reprint it.

The rest of the issue:  Decent selections, but other than "The Cosmic All", they're all from the Goodwin era, and three of them (3 1/2, if you include Coffin of Dracula) are getting their second reprinting.  Which isn't necessarily a totally bad thing several years after the first printing, but I would do that more where there's a theme for the issue... and this one really doesn't have a theme.

Overall, this is probably a decent collection for anybody not particularly familiar with the series... but it has almost nothing to offer a long term reader.  The annuals will improve considerably, with reprints of either entire storylines or Artist spotlights, but for a long term fan this one is here so you don't get annoyed at a gap in the numbering between 47 and 49.

Creepy #48 thoughts:

Yet another indulgence for me to review some of the older stories. I would hope that Warren had originally planned for Uncle Creepy to be on this cover. This obviously never happened and that’s a shame. It’s an otherwise unglamorous cover that I yet once again doctored up to my liking!

Creepy48bsm.thumb.jpg.46b6b9403b60ede3721deeb9c46a01b7.jpg

1 The Coffin of Dracula:

Very competent story continuing the lore and legend of Dracula. Crandall delivers excellent ink wash work that makes this a pleasure to read.

IMG_4076.thumb.jpeg.e06b2260397c5450b59690072470cef8.jpeg

2 The Castle On The Moor!:

Another entertaining tale that sets you firmly in the creepy old castle setting. Craig’s art still has that EC flair while the story delivers some decent twists to surprise you at the end.

IMG_4077.thumb.jpeg.e04ff5eb4b129d7314778526defdd7ae.jpeg

3 Moon City!:

An ambitious story here that reminds me of one of those educational films you’d see in grammar school about how man will conquer space. Everything seems noble and heroic (even with the slight diversion of marriage), so that when the horrible fate comes, it seems truly unjustified to the characters. Add to that, they are just dogs. After a few attacks, I’m sure the remaining space crew would have dispatched them with their weapons.

IMG_4078.thumb.jpeg.72c1b48de0ddf06d95a4208e83383959.jpeg

4 Swamped!:

One of the best stories in this issue. Leroy Kane is an escaped convict on the run. He cleverly outwits the posse and a trio of deadly vampires, to the point you actually start rooting for him. Alas, he ultimately meets with his comeuppance! There was also some clever dialogue used. This line made me laugh.

IMG_4079.thumb.jpeg.d2e352ce941afb539cd0cfc743779b5d.jpeg

5 Thumbs Down:

To Ancient Rome we go for a tale of cruelty and greed. Williamson delivers superb artwork on this “wronged dead” tale.

IMG_4080.thumb.jpeg.06870d274659c7881fe47600404e0bb3.jpeg

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that Hollywood got the whole thumbs up/down thing wrong. Historical research has found that “thumbs down” meant for the gladiator to lay down his sword. While “thumbs up” meant to deliver an upwards killing thrust.

IMG_4081.thumb.jpeg.441887389d6ad4d1219bd610332f53e7.jpeg

6 The Cosmic All:

A very intriguing story that kind of shows what might have happened if “The Thing” from John Carpenter’s film had gained access to the main population of the planet. Stunning artwork from Wood, and I firmly believe he drew naked women throughout this story, then just threw in some minimal cloth lines and sleeves during the inking!

IMG_4082.thumb.jpeg.5eb2c174f02f78cfc0ebf93ac3a7a30f.jpeg

7 Drink Deep!:

Entertaining tale that almost felt it belonged in a precode Atlas book. Mostly due to the Severin art which I enjoyed very much. It was nice to see his rendition of Uncle Creepy on the opening splash too.

IMG_4083.thumb.jpeg.53f72f52d736867fa6e287d2803a2eb8.jpeg

While the story was ok with most of it showing how our protagonist was way over the top cruel in an almost comical way, this panel delivered some straight up creepiness!

IMG_4084.thumb.jpeg.d8061dd6a35c9f7b614a06d330cfd2a0.jpeg

8 The Adventure Of The German Student!:

I was not at all familiar with this Washington Irving tale but I had heard the urban legend story of the decapitated woman who hid the fact under her neck band. The latter must have derived from Irving’s original tale. A nice chilling story to close out this annual. 

IMG_4085.thumb.jpeg.8090821c9ce1a59b3ca9639e6009960f.jpeg

Finally, a nice back cover reproducing the cover to Creepy #1. Odd that they chose issue #46 to be held, and in blue too?

IMG_4086.thumb.jpeg.b78e4401b423b0aa16ff72f834e4da8b.jpeg

Nothing new or exciting here for diehard readers of Creepy as these were all reprints, but as a stand alone issue, it’s a hard one to top!

On 8/23/2024 at 12:49 AM, OtherEric said:

@Jayman: Thank you for your review of the Creepy #48.  I think we actually came to roughly the same overall review, but from opposite ends... good for newer readers, not much for long term.

You’re quite welcome. As I said, it was an indulgence to get to review some of these earlier stories I missed out on at the beginning of the reading club. I actually went back through the thread and read the earlier reviews from you and Axe to make sure I wasn’t just repeating what has been already posted.

On 8/22/2024 at 10:49 PM, Jayman said:

Entertaining tale that almost felt it belonged in a precode Atlas book. Mostly due to the Severin art which I enjoyed very much. It was nice to see his rendition of Uncle Creepy on the opening splash too.

It's always a pleasure to see Severin's artwork. And is it just me, or does his rendering of Uncle Creepy here look eerily similar to the one-eyed Prince Aegon from "House of the Dragon?"  hm 

Edited by The Lions Den

Eerie #42

From the Warren Magazine Index:

Eerie42.thumb.jpg.9fb4dab91ce457252ebf1c43523268c5.jpg

Cover: Luis Dominguez (Oct. 1972) 

1) The True Story Of Eerie…How To Gain Forty Pounds Of Ugly Fat In Six Years! [J. R. Cochran] 1p [text article, frontis]

2) The Mummy Stalks! [Roy G. Krenkel & Archie Goodwin/Reed Crandall] 8p reprinted from Eerie #5 (Sept. 1966) 

3) The Blood Fruit! [Johnny Craig] 8p reprinted from Eerie #11 (Sept. 1967) 

4) It That Lurks! [Archie Goodwin/Dan Adkins] 6p reprinted from Eerie #7 (Jan. 1967)

5) Dark Rider! [Archie Goodwin/John Severin] 6p reprinted from Eerie #8 (Mar. 1967) 

6) Life Species [Bill DuBay] 2p reprinted from Eerie #30 (Nov. 1970)

7) Ogre’s Castle [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres] 6p reprinted from Creepy #2 (Apr. 1965) 

8) Room With A View! [Archie Goodwin/Steve Ditko] 6p reprinted from Eerie #3 (May 1966)

9) Voodoo Drum! [Archie Goodwin/Neal Adams] 8p reprinted from Eerie #10 (July 1967) 

10) I Am Dead, Egypt, Dead [Doug Moench/Victor de la Fuente] 8p reprinted from Eerie #35 (Sept. 1971)

11) The Thing In The Alley [Al Hewetson/Berni Wrightson] 1p [text story, on back cover]

Notes: $1.00 cost & 80 page issue.  With this issue the Eerie Yearbook/Annual became part of the regular numbering.  First squarebound issue. I’ve already mentioned that this was my first Warren purchase. However, even without the rosy glow of nostalgia, this is a pretty great issue, even for a reprint. Great stories and art from all involved. Due to a mix up at the printer, which Warren & Skywald shared for a time, the back cover for rival Skywald’s Nightmare #9 (Oct. 1972) was also printed as the back cover for this Warren magazine.

——————————————————

Never realized this issue was considered an annual. Nothing about the cover even hints about it. Nice seeing some Dominguez art though. So we have more reprints to sort through. We will see if they grouped some worthy ones for this issue. :wishluck:

Eerie #42 thoughts:

Let's deal with the errors in the index first:  It omits the story "The Lighthouse" from Eerie #3 between "Life Species" and "Ogre's Castle", and on every copy I've seen the back cover is a reprint of the Eerie #2 cover, not the story from the Skywald Nightmare #9.  I suspect the indexer, who says this is their first Warren purchase, is going off a beat up copy that somehow had the wrong cover taped onto the back.  I would love to be proven wrong, though, and find out there really are two versions of the issue.

Cover: It's not the classic the #41 was, but it's very nice piece by Dominguez.

Contents:  Not a lot to say, honestly.  The indexer isn't wrong when they describe it as a pretty great issue, with lots of excellent material.  But half a dozen of the stories are getting second reprintings, although admittedly some of those were in Creepy, not Eerie.

Overall, my reaction is this is similar to the Creepy last week, not a lot for those of us who have been reading the series from the start.  But the new cover and story selection does make this one more fun to flip through as a trip down memory lane than the Creepy was.

Eerie_042.jpg