• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just realized something...not a big deal, but...
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Namor is "Roman" spelled backwards. Did everyone but me already know this? (I'm also that person who pronounced Namor's name as "the Sub-Mareener" until I was twelve and the owner of a local comic shop corrected me. Thank you, Mr. Giarla of Giarla's Rare Coin Studios in Boston.)

And to make this CGC related, there's been a copy of Mary Marvel #1 up on ebay in a 7.0 for just $1998 but it's a PGX and it's been sitting for months and months and months. Pretty nice-looking copy, at a super nice price. I'm assuming it's been sitting so long because people are worried about PGX missing restoration? Meanwhile a CGC 3.0 copy is priced at $2300...that PGX discount is very real.

Mary Marvel.jpg

Not sure I ever realized the Namor/Roman thing....neat

As for the Mary Marvel book...does that book have value? Maybe the person pricing one at $2300 is the issue? You can ask for anything you want on the Bay. Check sold listings for a better tale. A low grade (probably 2.0) raw sold recently for around $600. That tells me a graded 3.0 for $2300 is a stretch. Also probably means that a PGX 7.0 is lower than where it should be but likely that is because of the factors mentioned (about how they might have missed potential restoration). That and the fact that a lot of their 7.0's are really 5.0-6.0 CGC books.

I was 10 in 1989 and for Christmas, my Grandparents got me this 50th Anniversary Hardcover of Marvel Comics #1 and while I haven't seen that exact reprint since like 1992, I'm fairly sure that Roy Thomas or whoever writes in the introduction how "Namor" is "Roman" spelled backwards and, at 10, I thought that was the coolest thing. I have seen it mentioned in a couple other places, always in passing- one of Ron Goulart's books and in an issue of Alter Ego. If you read as much comics history as you can you'll pick up so much different little things and, inevitably, they all cross reference and compliment other things you learn years later!

Everett's Golden Age Sub-Mariner stories are so ahead of their time. There was no character like Prince Namor, who literally declares "war on the white man" (!!) in one of his early stories and is put in the electric chair by the State of NY! He's unappreciated and misused in modern times, he was truly groundbreaking in the 1940s' and handled best in Everett's hands.

Namor 1.JPG

On 4/29/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mark Warren said:

Thank you, Mr. Giarla of Giarla's Rare Coin Studios in Boston.)

First comic shop I ever went to, provided one considers that tiny coin closet a comic shop.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:36 PM, Ryan. said:

First comic shop I ever went to, provided one considers that tiny coin closet a comic shop.

LOL I know...tiny! Not many comics either, just a few longboxes and one "special" longbox behind the counter with books in plastic bags that cost a few dollars each. But that store introduced me to comics collecting. I was maybe nine or ten when I started visiting it; one of my friends had told me they had Superman #1 there. So I went over there and asked Mr. Giarla: "Do you have Superman #1?" And he said, "Do you have three-thousand dollars?" Then he directed me to the Famous First edition copy he had hanging up on the wall and I bought that. I ended up going there every Saturday (it was only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays) for years. Mr. Giarla and his,,,brother, maybe? There were two men behind the counter and I always got the impression they were related...introduced me to concepts like comic book condition, the Comics Code Authority, the different comic book eras (just Gold and Silver back then) and the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, which I bought from them every year. Good times... 

On 4/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, Heavyheavyheavy said:

And Nomar Garciaparra's name is his dad's first name Ramon spelled backwards :cheers:

Are you sure this is true? I thought his name was spelled "No-MAHHH!!!"

The only thing I have to contribute to this thread, is that there's a small town in Indiana called Trafalgar.  

Someone once pointed out to me that if you say it backwards, it's Raglafart.

You're welcome.

The 60s Marvel Superhero cartoons as well as Stan Lee’s narration in the episode “7 Little Super-Heroes” from Spiderman and his Amazing Friends pronounce it “Sub-mar ‘in’ er”. I also recall a panel where in a sailor on the docks adresses him “Submareener” to which he looks at him in disdain. (Issue 7?)