• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 1 Results
9 9

60 posts in this topic

Looks like everybody was missing high.

My expert analysis, gleaned from my extremely impressive education, is to shoot a little bit lower than the CGC grade you anticipate them handing out.

:preach:

:shiftyeyes:

On 4/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, zzutak said:

Board members were generally in line with CGC on the Round #1 books. 

lol

I was writing my post before I saw this. It wasn't directed at you.

At least you've been here for 15 years, not 4 months.

:shiftyeyes:

On 4/30/2022 at 8:16 AM, zzutak said:

Here are the key measures of central tendency ("statistics"), based on Mike's results presented above (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
1 7.0 6.7 6.5 6.5
2 4.0 4.6 4.5 4.5
3 6.0 6.2 6.5 6.5
4 6.5 6.6 6.5 6.5
5 6.5 7.2 7.5 7.5

Board members were generally in line with CGC on the Round #1 books.  Here are a a few notable observations, based on the key measures of central tendency reported above:

• Book #1 (Detective #32): 49% of the contestants were within one grade increment of CGC.  However, taken as a whole, Boardies were a bit tougher on this specimen (6.7 vs 7.0).  The Golden Age bump (especially when it comes to the Batman titles) is a real thing folks!  :preach:
  • Book #2 (Hulk #3): In the Board's collective opinion, this is a 4.5 VG+!  :sumo:
  • Book #3 (Hawkman #1): 60% of the contestants were within one grade increment of CGC.  However, taken as a whole, this time Boardies were a bit more lenient than CGC (6.2 vs 6.0).
  • Book #4 (Batman #248): The "easiest" book for the Board as a whole, with 60% of the contestants within one grade increment of CGC and a mean contestant grade only 0.1 higher than CGC (6.6 vs 6.5).  (worship)
  • Book #5 (Secret Wars #8, Dutch Edn): The "toughest" book for the Board as a whole, with CGC now about 1.5~2 grade increments lower than the Board.  CGC, having the book in hand, obviously saw blemishes/defects that were not readily apparent in the scans.  This reveals an inherent limitation of grading via flat scan.  :cry:

On a strictly personal note, the thing that surprised me most about the Round #1 books was this: have folks stopped dry cleaning their books prior to submitting them?  hm  These books were filthy!  lol  Over and out for now!  :foryou:  :hi:

Appreciate the helpful analysis and commentary, Jay!

ugh, I changed my grades from what I wrote down the when I subbed to mike! same total points but one less bullseye (I changed the last 2 and dropped each .5 because I knew I had rushed on those, took away one bullseye and made the sw8 not so bad. points wash but I like those bullseyes!)

Thanks mike and everyone else. loads of fun.

I learned that I should stick with just the facts.  I would of been top 10 if I had stuck with my original grades based on just defects I saw.  When I went and looked at graded compatibles, the eye appeal that I use as a collector made me slew higher.  In particular I would of nailed the TEC #32, and the Hawkman #1.  The Hawkman #1 still gets me because there are 6.5's out there with 1 detached staple!  Seems like most people also thought 6.5 on that book so I don't feel so bad.

Thank you Mike for running this. Thanks to Green Egg also for running these in the past. You guys do a ton of work herding cats, collating scores etc. I enjoy seeing where I fall in the scheme of grading ( lower third). If I finish at the halfway point, I will be happy.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:39 AM, topcat54 said:

So I’m having trouble seeing the whole list . How can I do it? (shrug)

Pretend you're Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz; but instead of clicking your heels together three times and saying "There's no place like home", you should click on Mike's table three times and think "enlarge!"  Just wait 1 second in between clicks to allow the "newest" version of the table image to fully display on your monitor.  (thumbsu

On 4/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, zzutak said:

Pretend you're Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz; but instead of clicking your heels together three times and saying "There's no place like home", you should click on Mike's table three times and think "enlarge!"  Just wait 1 second in between clicks to allow the "newest" version of the table image to fully display on your monitor.  (thumbsu

Thanks there for a minute I was feeling like Alice going down the rabbit 🐇 hole 🕳