• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this UXM 282 with bindery defect worth grading?

8 posts in this topic

I assumed this book would have no chance of getting a grade over 9.0, but after doing some research I am seeing even some 9.8's with similar binding defects. I am sort of blown away by it, because I would never buy a 9.8 with a defect like this.

Here is the book:

Uncanny X-Men (1963) #282 (small) - Copy.png

On 4/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, Heavyheavyheavy said:

Oh no, that's not a defect (per se), that's just a miswrap. Super common, but usually on older books. Go look at 20 different ASM #129s and you'll see 20 different miswraps. It only keeps a book out of 9.9 and 10 because it's aesthetics not physical damage and does not affect the grade further. This usually affects those who are anal retentive or have fake comic book OCD the most :smirk:

As a former baseball card collector also, to me this is the comic book equivalent of an off center card. The centering of a card is a huge factor in its grade and only minor centering imperfections are allowed in the top grades, though admittedly they do allow some off centering so it’s a question of degree just like anything else.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:08 PM, Kronius said:

As a former baseball card collector also, to me this is the comic book equivalent of an off center card. The centering of a card is a huge factor in its grade and only minor centering imperfections are allowed in the top grades, though admittedly they do allow some off centering so it’s a question of degree just like anything else.

It won't affect the grade, but it may impact the resale value as collectors will likely assign a small premium to more perfectly centered books.

That said I'd think twice about spending the money submitting a book that's available for $20-$30 raw.  Heck, I saw someone on Reddit the other day post a copy they bought for $14.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:05 PM, ExNihilo said:

It won't affect the grade, but it may impact the resale value as collectors will likely assign a small premium to more perfectly centered books.

That said I'd think twice about spending the money submitting a book that's available for $20-$30 raw.  Heck, I saw someone on Reddit the other day post a copy they bought for $14.

Yeah it’s on the borderline of what I was thinking of sending in. I’ll probably stick to books worth $50+ on this first submission.

I can always submit the cheaper ones later with a 9.8 pre screening.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO, no.

Yeah, I think it was getting a little irrationally exuberant about potential treasures in my collection. I'm going to slow it down and only send a few with really good potential this first time around and take it from there.