• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS #57 4.0 Clean/Press and regrade or leave in slab?

5 posts in this topic

I tried my first submission to CGC of my Tales Of Suspense #57 but I may have made a newbie mistake, I did not get it pressed/cleaned. I was disappointed when it came back a 4.0 because the cover looked flawless (I later had a TOS #50 come back 8.0 and it doesn't look as nice) however the grader notes stated: "medium, multiple crease right bottom of front cover, multiple crease center of front cover breaks color, multiple crease left bottom of back cover, wear spine breaks color".

My first thought was a pressing would remove most of those issues except the color breaks.  IN GENERAL, any rules of thought from the experienced if I should go the Clean/Press resubmit route? I'm thinking $200 to do it ($80+70+shipping). It seems most of the issues are skewed to the "can be pressed" out variety. Any urban legends of grades jumping > 1.0 after clean/pressing?

Welcome to the boards!

Not urban legend territory but my personal experience is always adding pressing for sig series submissions and those that I think would benefit. Anything breaking color won't really benefit but on higher grades, which will benefit the most, I've seen:

TMNT #2 - 8.5 to 9.4

Secret Wars #8 0 8.5 to 9.6

Invaders #1 - 9.2 to 9.6

Based on the grader notes you have, a full 1.0 may be big jump but recommend putting it in the Can you spare a grade section and you should get more opinions. If you have pics pre-slabbing, that would be good to post. 

Pics of the book are needed. The notes could suggest a press and clean could help with a bump OR could mean it is what it is. Seeing what the creases they mention look like would be a big help

Edited by comicginger1789