• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toxin 4 : Grade is in - book has new damage
4 4

16 posts in this topic

My old eyes are not working well on this one, it's the purplish color on the front cover, all I see is what appears to be a crease by the spine between the staples, it appears to break color by some of the pics.

20220506_101123.thumb.jpg.65d581ac613f236f947da2d3051d9f26.jpg

On 5/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, marvelmaniac said:

My old eyes are not working well on this one, it's the purplish color on the front cover, all I see is what appears to be a crease by the spine between the staples, it appears to break color by some of the pics.

20220506_101123.thumb.jpg.65d581ac613f236f947da2d3051d9f26.jpg

It doesnt break color. Its just the lighting. There is a line on the inside of the cover as well but you dont feel it when you run a finger over it. I was thinking...production defect?

Doesn't this issue have production-related defects along the spine? Wasn't there a graded 9.6 or 9.8 in another forum that had a color chip near the same area?

9.2/9.4 therabouts.

Thanks for posting.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, grendelbo said:

Doesn't this issue have production-related defects along the spine? Wasn't there a graded 9.6 or 9.8 in another forum that had a color chip near the same area?

9.2/9.4 therabouts.

Thanks for posting.

That was probably my graded copy. It's a CGC 9.8 with a chipped spine and it bugs the outta me.

I'm thinking about getting my raw copy graded. I'm hoping for a 9.6 but I'm not sure how CGC will treat the line by the spine. 

I'm 99% sure it's a production issue. I don't see how it could be from anything else unless it's been pressed. I'm not the original owner so it's possible.

Came back a 9.4.

No grader notes.

Meh...

It also came back with new damage.

1 color breaking spine line which was not present when I sent it in.

3 fresh finger bends in all...2 at the top of the pic and 1 at the bottom.

If this book had a color break on the spine, I wouldn't have bothered sending it in to be graded.

20220620_081042.jpg

20220620_081522_HDR.jpg

Edited by lostboys

On 6/20/2022 at 6:37 AM, lostboys said:

Came back a 9.4.

Meh...

It also came back with new damage.

1 color breaking spine line which was not present when I sent it in.

3 fresh finger bends in all...2 at the top of the pic and 1 at the bottom.

If this book had a color break on the spine, I wouldn't have bothered sending it in to be graded.

20220620_081042.jpg

20220620_081522_HDR.jpg

:censored: CGC!!

On 6/20/2022 at 1:56 PM, joeypost said:

Interesting. Looks like a 5 year old got ahold of it. 

What really grinds my gears is I paid good money for this raw copy because I knew it would grade a 9.4, at least...and I was cool with that.

It would have been a sweet looking 9.4, wouldve fit in nicely with the rest of my Toxin set.

But now its an ugly 9.4 and I have to start from scratch.

This mini series is impossible to find already graded and  most raw copies of issue #4 have production defects.

It really didnt need the extra dings.

:facepalm:

On 6/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, lostboys said:

What really grinds my gears is I paid good money for this raw copy because I knew it would grade a 9.4, at least...and I was cool with that.

It would have been a sweet looking 9.4, wouldve fit in nicely with the rest of my Toxin set.

But now its an ugly 9.4 and I have to start from scratch.

This mini series is impossible to find already graded and  most raw copies of issue #4 have production defects.

It really didnt need the extra dings.

:facepalm:

Welcome to the world of poor QA/QC and improper handling...brought to you by CGC.

Dumpster Fire.gif

Edited by Galen130

On 6/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, Galen130 said:

Welcome to the world of poor QA/QC and improper handling...brought to you by CGC.

Dumpster Fire.gif

CGC has been good for me overall.

Ive had to send a few slabs back for mechanicals in the past and of course Ive learned to live with my share of scuffs/rings but Ive never had a book damaged before.

Im a mess as is...I cant imagine how Id feel if this was a big money book.

I'm guessing that crease you inquired about in the original post is what they noted in the notes.

Those other two bends/ticks it is hard to see if they existed before hand. This is why I take extensive images of anything going CGCs way...to show what it was and I also take video too. Time consuming but then again I only send in 20-50 books a year