• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Constantine...

37 posts in this topic

According to link below, he first appeared Saga of the Swamp Thing vol 2 #25

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1442945.html

Bissette and Totleben talked about it at last years CCE. They really wanted a Sting-like character. Moore had crafted a Virgil-like character to guide ST through the American Gothic. They got what they wanted, and Moore complied with his look. Whether Sting being in 25 was really Constantine was the subject of some debate and mirth. I think it is revisionist history in that the character in 25 was really Sting, but that is just me.

I don't know what it is about this movement of "true" first appearances. But it is becoming more and more important to people, as evidenced by the number of posts on the subject. I am still a fan of the first "meaningful" appearance, which the market has typically responded to.

Bissette and Totleben talked about it at last years CCE. They really wanted a Sting-like character. Moore had crafted a Virgil-like character to guide ST through the American Gothic. They got what they wanted, and Moore complied with his look. Whether Sting being in 25 was really Constantine was the subject of some debate and mirth. I think it is revisionist history in that the character in 25 was really Sting, but that is just me.

I don't know what it is about this movement of "true" first appearances. But it is becoming more and more important to people, as evidenced by the number of posts on the subject. I am still a fan of the first "meaningful" appearance, which the market has typically responded to.

Agreed. That goofy over in the Modern forum about Invincible is enough to make my head explode.

Agreed. That goofy over in the Modern forum about Invincible is enough to make my head explode.

Brits often cannot handle the truth. In America we over medicate to feel better about being wrong. You should try it!

To the tune of Mr. Lee by the Bobbettes

One, two, three

Look at Mr. Ween

Three, four, five

Look at him jive

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Wee-ee-een

It's a first appearance!

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

His name is Mr. Ween

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

It's a first appearance

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

His name is Mr. Ween

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

Well, it's the first first appearance

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

That you ever did see

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween-ee-ee

To the tune of Mr. Lee by the Bobbettes

One, two, three

Look at Mr. Ween

Three, four, five

Look at him jive

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Wee-ee-een

It's a first appearance!

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

His name is Mr. Ween

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

It's a first appearance

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

His name is Mr. Ween

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

Well, it's the first first appearance

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

That you ever did see

(Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween)

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween, Mr. Ween

Oh, Mr. Ween

Mr. Ween-ee-ee

Here is one instance where I agree with those who refute Constantine appearing first anywhere other than SW 37.

By the way Mr. Lee is about a girl's crush on a teacher. I hope you are not admitting that you have a crush on me due to my love of TRUE first appearances ( not cameos or appearances in shadows or so called meaningful appearances that hoarders use to prevent market changes thus preserving their own agenda and poor investment ) Unless you are a woman who engages in Duela Dent cosplay I prob wouldn't dig you even if you were a chick.

Yes, I think it's accurate to say that Crisis on Infinite Earths 4 is Constantine's second appearance, but it's pretty minor. Basically there was an editorial mandate for every DC character to appear in CoIE at some point, so they put him in. Not an issue I would think would garner any speculator interest, but who knows.

John_Constantine_0027.jpg

Even if COIE 4 came out before #38, it doesn't matter in my view. 38 is a more significant appearance, its part of the Moore run, its so much more of an appearance that actually means something.

And you're right, it should get more love, as should all those early appearances really

As should the pre-constantine issues too hm

Even if COIE 4 came out before #38, it doesn't matter in my view. 38 is a more significant appearance, its part of the Moore run, its so much more of an appearance that actually means something.

And you're right, it should get more love, as should all those early appearances really

As should the pre-constantine issues too hm

It is all about the 1st app., baby.

Personally I consider the sequential Swamp Thing story to be Constantine's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc appearances. The few panels in CoIE are just there to make sure every character appears and encourage you to buy the tie-ins. More like a promo or something.

I also think it's discouraging that people only seem to want "1st Appearances," and even worse that they only want 1st Appearances that are so noted on the CGC label. :sorry:

Personally I consider the sequential Swamp Thing story to be Constantine's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc appearances. The few panels in CoIE are just there to make sure every character appears and encourage you to buy the tie-ins. More like a promo or something.

I also think it's discouraging that people only seem to want "1st Appearances," and even worse that they only want 1st Appearances that are so noted on the CGC label. :sorry:

Agreed, but who cares what other people want? Be true to yourself, and sell them all of the other lesser stuff. :grin: What really matters as a collector is that you get what YOU want. Of course, that works in many different ways. :grin: