• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Constantine...

37 posts in this topic

OK, I'm sure everyone has read Wizard by now....

COIE was actually his first appearance, not Swamp Thing?? confused-smiley-013.gif

I assume the industry in general will ignore that and just continue to go with the Swamp Thing issue..??

They interviewed Perez and Wolfman.

Marv claims (RE: COIE#4)

"It is important to note that this is the fist appearance of John Constantine in Comics. He was never shown 'on camera' in ST."

also, he was based on Sting..

Then there's an editor's note that ST#37 and COIE#4 came out in the same month...

So, the remaining quesion, then; Is this going to wind up being an erroneous First Appearance (Swamp Thing) and will it now be changed to Crisis #4?

And if not, then what kinda crack are Wolfman and Perez smoking?

confused.gif

My copy of Crisis #4 is cover dated July. Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 is dated June.

gossip.gif And Constantine was unquestionably based on Sting. He rides in on a boat christened "HMS Gordon Sumner" in that Swamp Thing issue. Supposedly artist Steve Bissette had been after Moore to create a Sting-like character, and the artist had drawn such a figure in to crowd scenes in several pre-37 Swamp Thing issues.

confused.gif

My copy of Crisis #4 is cover dated July. Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 is dated June.

gossip.gif And Constantine was unquestionably based on Sting. He rides in on a boat christened "HMS Gordon Sumner" in that Swamp Thing issue. Supposedly artist Steve Bissette had been after Moore to create a Sting-like character, and the artist had drawn such a figure in to crowd scenes in several pre-37 Swamp Thing issues.

Yep...from memory, Constantine has a non-speaking cameo appearance in one of the Demon trilogy Saga of the Swamp Thing issues (I think it's #27, but don't have the books in front of me), long before anyone knew who he was. #37 is his first full appearance.

I guess if Crisis #4 is dated after ST #37, none of this matters anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess if Crisis #4 is dated after ST #37, none of this matters anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Methinks Marv is getting mixed up between ST 37 and the earlier comics with just psuedo-cameos of a Constantine-like character.

Either that, or he's taken up crack.

I do believe that Moore was supportive of Crisis as Marv says (Moore's tie-in issue of Swamp Thing is brilliant - the one where ST is with the other heroes on the JLA satellite), and that he gave Marv and George his blessing to use the character in Crisis visiting his pal Mentallo (a character that Moore would also use in the American Gothic storyline - thus establishing the connection).

Makes sense since the entire American Gothic storyline has ties to Crisis - finishing with the "Spriritual Crisis" in Swamp Thing 50 (which would have been only a few months after Crisis 12.

Nevertheless, the timing is close, but since ST37 was released first there's no reason to change anything. It was out first and therefore is his first true appearance, while Crisis 4 can be considered his second appearance.

As for the cameo in the first issue of the Demon trilogy, it's a one-panel shot of a fellow that looks exactly like Sting being passed by a distraught Abby Arcane. He's wearing a striped t-shirt and is clearly meant to resemble Sting by the artists. Is it Constantine? If you want it to be I suppose it could be...

Never heard of this conflict in first appearances before.

Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman! 8 years!

Never heard of this conflict in first appearances before.

Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman! 8 years!

lol

Hey, some topics just need to come back. Especially one like this where someone so wished their hoarding dreams had come true.

:ohnoez: