• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 12:49 PM, snitzer said:

Betamax next? Ha! Let me know when laserdiscs receive the grading treatment b/c I’m sitting on a small fortune :Rocket:

ive seen higher end Betamax movies go for some big money already on ebay. there's a few very high end beta tapes on comicconnect, comiclink and heritage - interested to see how they will sell compared to their vhs counterparts. 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, rabidwolf said:

ive seen higher end Betamax movies go for some big money already on ebay. there's a few very high end beta tapes on comicconnect, comiclink and heritage - interested to see how they will sell compared to their vhs counterparts. 

I believe it. As a laserdisc collector, I was just being smarmy :cheers:

On 5/14/2022 at 6:13 PM, rjpb said:

What's the confidence level that sealed tapes (or sealed boxes of any type in the collectables market) haven't been resealed?

never 100% I guess like anything - but company [HBO VIDEO, MCA. PARAMOUNT, etc]  watermarks on the shrink wrap usually is the best bet for legitimacy of factory seal. I never buy any tapes where I am going for a factory sealed copy without watermarks on the wrap

On 5/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, rabidwolf said:

never 100% I guess like anything - but company [HBO VIDEO, MCA. PARAMOUNT, etc]  watermarks on the shrink wrap usually is the best bet for legitimacy of factory seal. I never buy any tapes where I am going for a factory sealed copy without watermarks on the wrap

Makes, sense, I didn't realize so many companies did watermarks on shrinkwrap back then. One wonders how so many unopened VHS tapes manage to be floating around, but I suppose its not that many compared to the number produced.

I remember talking to a guy back in the 90s who dealt in vintage children's toys and games, and asked him how did he manage to find ones from the 60s and 70s that were still sealed in plastic, considering kids would always open a toy even if they never ended up playing with it. His response was, "There's often a sad story behind that.".