• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 4 Results
6 6

57 posts in this topic

okay, not where I want to be but I can see it from here.

Can you imagine grading 50 books in a row? The sustained attention and prolonged vigilance exhausts me. If the rounds were 8 books a round and 3 rounds I would do much worse I think.

tie breakers should be done in real time...one book one grade...you have 5 minutes and go! if they tie again...one book one grade 4 minutes and go..et cetera et cetera

If I counted right, I made it into the top half at 72nd, so goal accomplished.

My second and third rounds were a 6 and a 5, respectively, but I hit double digits in rounds 1 and 4.

My biggest piece of feedback to improve the contest would be to only use books where the grading is COMPLETELY dependent upon what can be plainly seen in the scans.  When the final grade is dependent on things that CAN'T be seen in the original scans (such as the one where the "gunk" in the scan was cleaned off the cover before grading, or this X-Men in the last round that had no visible flaws unless you blow it up 40x and increase the contrast), it's not only a disadvantage to GOOD graders (and yes, we're all under the same disadvantage in that respect), but it's also an unfair advantage to POOR graders.

I mean, if you see a book with no visible flaws and grade it as a 9.0, that's an error--but in this case those errors were rewarded when the final grade was based on "very light bends" that couldn't be seen in the scans.  So if you really want it to be a grading contest, and not a guessing contest, then it should only include books that have all relevant flaws visible in the scans--and then don't clean/press the books after scanning and before grading.

Thanks again Mike and a thank you to Zzutak for statistical analysis. I learned a bunch (not enough). I didn’t finish 1st but I finished so I am happy. Next time I will take it all ….

On 5/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, EricLB said:

Thanks again Mike and a thank you to Zzutak for statistical analysis. I learned a bunch (not enough). I didn’t finish 1st but I finished so I am happy. Next time I will take it all ….

Never underestimate the power of positive thinking!  (thumbsu  I'll be rootin' for ya!  :foryou:  :hi: