• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received ebay slab cracked...advice

5 posts in this topic

I'm a frequent comic buyer on ebay and rarely have I had any issues. 

Today I received a st110 3.0 in the mail from an ebay buy.  The case wasn't just cracked, it was nearly broken in half!  The packing was questionable with a soft envelope and some thin bubble wrap.

The guy keeps suggesting I send it to cgc under his account to have it reslabbed...

I'm definitely not doing that. I would think that he could then update the book to be shipped back to him if he wanted.  I don't know the guy so I'm not accusing him, just saying I have to be wary and lookout for myself.

The problem is that the price was pretty good so I hate returning it. Would you keep and just take the time and effort yourself to re-slab, or return the book altogether?

** EDIT to say the seller ended up being very reasonable after a back and forth discussion, seems like an honest mistake w the shipping, he's going to offer a partial refund so all good!

SmartSelect_20220513-195416_Gallery.jpg

Edited by UncleAnwar
Spelling

Refund on sellers dime

So it has been, so it should be

Seller should deal with whose fault it was, either shoddy packing or terrible delivery 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, UncleAnwar said:

Today I received a st110 3.0 in the mail from an ebay buy.  The case wasn't just cracked, it was nearly broken in half!  The packing was questionable with a soft envelope and some thin bubble wrap.

The guy keeps suggesting I send it to cgc under his account to have it reslabbed...

Sounds extremely fishy to me. I'm definitely not doing that. I would think that he could then update the book to be shipped back to him if he wanted. 

The problem is that the price was pretty good so I hate returning it. Would you keep and just take the time and effort yourself to re-slab, or return the book altogether?

How good you talking on cost? I mean if you want to reholder, is that even doable?

I know they check the comic first, to see if the busted case cause damage. But it would depend on how good were talking in cost. If the case is damaged too hard core that the book was damaged they'll regrade, which brings to mind if it was cracked before the seller sent it and used an old pic? Really a non starter, you've received it at cost. You can definitely return either to seller or cgc.

All depends on whatcha whatcha want! Beastie boys  :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, UncleAnwar said:

Sounds extremely fishy to me. I'm definitely not doing that. I would think that he could then update the book to be shipped back to him if he wanted. 

I think the seller is on the level

I'd cover yourself by sending it in to CGC yourself, and following up with CGC ensuring they know (and its written on the sub) that this is your book, but reslabbing is to be billed to the seller. 

Or ring for an actual quote, and bill the seller before you send.

The other choice is to simply open a return and send it back

Depends how much you want the book

+1 definitely do it under your own account though  :)

On 5/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, Beige said:

I think the seller is on the level

I'd cover yourself by sending it in to CGC yourself, and following up with CGC ensuring they know (and its written on the sub) that this is your book, but reslabbing is to be billed to the seller. 

Or ring for an actual quote, and bill the seller before you send.

The other choice is to simply open a return and send it back

Depends how much you want the book