• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Famous Monsters of Filmland #4
3 3

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

A little unfamiliar with magazines vs comics. Have this copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland #4.

Small 2" cumulative spine split, mostly at bottom staple. Bottom staple detached at cover and centerfold. Small pen writing on bottom of inside front cover. Corner chips on front cover. Other than that pretty straightforward. Page quality is cream/off-white.

FM_4a.thumb.jpeg.64ed7170a9235927549266b6f28fdbab.jpeg

FM_4b 1.jpeg

Thanks for posting this! Nice to see an early FM once in a while...  

This looks like a fairly decent copy, and spine splits on these early FMs are incredibly common. My best guess here is in the VG range, but I'm leaning toward the lower end of that spectrum due to the spine splits, staple detachment and tears to the cover. Handle with care, my friend. 

I'm thinking 3.5...

A cool mag, for sure.  :banana:  Copies with the "Ghoul's Eye" sticker are especially desirable.  :luhv:   #4 is one of only three FMOF to be "reissued" (in 2008, in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the title).  As long as your copy's interior is printed on newsprint/pulp rather than glossy stock, it's an original.  (thumbsu

FMOF-4.thumb.jpg.7f2e5a9634ff72bc7cf8771d1625fa75.jpg

2.5 - 3.0 for a classic! First FM issue to sell out on back orders. Also the toughest to find in the run. As mentioned about the Ghoul’s Eye sticker, copies printed here and sold in Great Britain are scarce. You can identify them by finding the stamp on the cover:

C199A9E0-35B5-483E-89E8-937F36393BDC.jpeg.4c0c334da39865d4ea160e095ccf445a.jpeg 

Edited by bronze johnny

On 5/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Just wanted to be clear, looking back at the scans. That whole top right corner of the cover is gone. The first page at the top is black, so it may go overlooked upon first glance.

Appreciate all the comments! I was in the 2.5 camp myself.

Yeah, that would drop it to a 3.0 for me...thanks for the honesty...