• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider Man 50
3 3

19 posts in this topic

I discovered this in a plastic bag with 2 other comics, Thor 140 and Tales to Astonish 93. The label on the bag was from 1967 and was sealed. I opened it to find out what the middle book was, otherwise all 3 are untouched. Because the bag was never stored properly there is a bit of age-related degradation but, on the whole it appears pristine. Pages are off-white, staples not rusted, content is complete. The only things my untrained eyes spotted were a bit of wear on the corners of the cover. Any input on potential grades is welcome, thanks.front.thumb.jpg.39424be0a423f144d9b5d56e406ca343.jpgback.thumb.jpg.259d9dd98d2c6ba8344e625d916ead38.jpg

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Blunted corners, edge wear with slight color breaks, moderate spine stress w/color breaks, color rub along the top edge, rear cover top staple tear, rear cover wrinkling along the spine, slight foxing on the rear cover.

IMO, there is too much spine stress to be a FN/VF 7.0 but the book is better than a FN 6.0, so...

FN+ 6.5

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, lyctr6 said:

The only things my untrained eyes spotted were a bit of wear on the corners of the cover. Any input on potential grades is welcome, thanks.

Marvelmaniac pointed out some other defects, such as spine stress that keep it from a 7.0.So as is I'd give it 6.0. A C&P, especially for back, would raise this maybe even to 7.0

Proves the point that polybagged comics are often NOT in Near Mint condition, but this old book didn’t do too bad after all these years.  7.0. 

Edited by Galen130

any chance you took a picture of the sealed bag before or after? I'm curious what kind of multipack it was. You couldn't slide the bag around a bit to see the middle comic? If I knew what it was, I wouldn't have opened it. A multipack with ASM50 gotta be pretty rare. 

On 6/7/2022 at 2:33 AM, Lpgk said:

any chance you took a picture of the sealed bag before or after? I'm curious what kind of multipack it was. You couldn't slide the bag around a bit to see the middle comic? If I knew what it was, I wouldn't have opened it. A multipack with ASM50 gotta be pretty rare. 

The bag was tight so no way to see what was in the middle. It was the original bag from 1967 with a Canada Confederation symbol on the price tag. We didn't want to take the chance something really rare was stuck in the middle.