• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty staple
1 1

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  How the staples affect grade depend mainly on the degree of rust and the grade otherwise, which we will not know until a Grader reviews the book. As far as treatment, if light enough the rust can just be scraped off and keep a universal grade. If the grade is low enough and the rust does not matter, we do nothing to treat it. But if the rust is really bad and threatening the integrity of the book, We can replace them (and support the paper if torn through), although this will result in a conserved grade.

Thank you!

On 5/27/2022 at 8:05 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  How the staples affect grade depend mainly on the degree of rust and the grade otherwise, which we will not know until a Grader reviews the book. As far as treatment, if light enough the rust can just be scraped off and keep a universal grade. If the grade is low enough and the rust does not matter, we do nothing to treat it. But if the rust is really bad and threatening the integrity of the book, We can replace them (and support the paper if torn through), although this will result in a conserved grade.

Thank you!

I’m assuming if cgc opened the book, and even if the decision got made to take no action, it would still force me into a regrading position?

• Administrator
On 5/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m assuming if cgc opened the book, and even if the decision got made to take no action, it would still force me into a regrading position?

Hello, if you submitted a book for a regrade that was already in a CGC holder, yes, we would have to regrade it based on the current condition of the book.  CGC grades are not guaranteed so once that book is removed from the CGC holder, it is possible for the grade to change.  Thank you!