• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time Limits/Eligibility for Reholder?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I have 2 questions about the CGC reholder service.  I tried doing a search but couldn't find a quick answer.  

(1) Is there a time limit on a "free" reholder when there is an obvious defect (like, in this case, a piece of something trapped in the case).  I got a book a few months ago now, and only took a closer look at it the other day and saw the issue (it does not cover/obstruct the comic inside).  Second part of this question is if they would do a free reholder if you were not the original purchaser.  In this case, I received the book as a gift.  Are subsequent buyers or giftees out of luck when it comes to something like that?  You can see the tiny piece of what looks like paper or something just below the comic/Bill's right leg.  Not sure I would even bother if I could have it done, but just wondering about the policy.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.ea0d3667bbc4b195cb72d134d1d49c8a.JPG

(2) Also, wondering about the policy on reholder if there is not a major defect issue, however, the book is off-center, or tilted/angled slightly in the case.  This one I did submit myself.  The angle I took this pic from doesn't show it off the best, but if you look at the top edge I think you can still see how it is slanted. 

IMG_0737.thumb.JPG.ae6d8c6a4f0683b376753fd85d919214.JPG

It's not awful, just a little annoying.

Thanks for any information!

• Administrator

For question #1, I believe the answer is 2 weeks, and you have to be the original submitter.  

For question #2,  situation like this are handled on a case by case basis.  You would need to e-mail us a service@cgccomics.com and post an image and your reason for wanting the book reholdered.  A decision will be made if we will or will not reholder the book at our expense.  

On 5/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, CGC Mike said:

For question #1, I believe the answer is 2 weeks, and you have to be the original submitter.  

For question #2,  situation like this are handled on a case by case basis.  You would need to e-mail us a service@cgccomics.com and post an image and your reason for wanting the book reholdered.  A decision will be made if we will or will not reholder the book at our expense.  

Thanks for the reply!

On 5/29/2022 at 9:42 AM, Axelrod said:

(1) Is there a time limit on a "free" reholder when there is an obvious defect (like, in this case, a piece of something trapped in the case).  I got a book a few months ago now, and only took a closer look at it the other day and saw the issue (it does not cover/obstruct the comic inside).  Second part of this question is if they would do a free reholder if you were not the original purchaser.  In this case, I received the book as a gift.  Are subsequent buyers or giftees out of luck when it comes to something like that?  You can see the tiny piece of what looks like paper or something just below the comic/Bill's right leg.  Not sure I would even bother if I could have it done, but just wondering about the policy.

(2) Also, wondering about the policy on reholder if there is not a major defect issue, however, the book is off-center, or tilted/angled slightly in the case.  This one I did submit myself.  The angle I took this pic from doesn't show it off the best, but if you look at the top edge I think you can still see how it is slanted.

1. As Mike mentioned, there is a time limit, and getting a re-holder for free is limited to the submitter.
  2. As the comic is not in positional stasis, this can be remedied at home.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
  1. As Mike mentioned, there is a time limit, and getting a re-holder for free is limited to the submitter.
  2. As the comic is not in positional stasis, this can be remedied at home.

I wondered about the possibility of shifting the orientation of the book by tapping on the case or something, but I did not know how to best go about doing something like that, and did not want to make it worse.  Not sure how "tight" it is in there.

"(1) Is there a time limit on a "free" reholder when there is an obvious defect"

On 5/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, CGC Mike said:

Mike, I realize you didn't make the rule, but do you know why this is? Myself, I don't see why either would matter here (time limit or original submitter). But maybe I'm just not looking at it properly.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, Gaard said:

Mike, I realize you didn't make the rule, but do you know why this is? Myself, I don't see why either would matter here (time limit or original submitter). But maybe I'm just not looking at it properly.

I think that they both matter. You can't give customers laissez faire with timing on errors, because they can then decide at any time that something is not acceptable from a prior submission. Keeping it constrained to the submitter also gives CGC an idea on what is and is not an 'acceptable' defect for encapsulation, and also limits returns to items that they actually screwed up on, rather than anything that secondhand customers may choose to bring to their attention.

CGC has to have boundaries, otherwise they'd get walked all over.

I was just thinking to myself ... what if I bought a slab & discovered a pube in the slab (or any foreign material).

Edited by Gaard

On 5/31/2022 at 10:50 AM, Gaard said:

I was just thinking to myself ... what if I bought a slab & discovered a pube in the slab (or any foreign material).

You can pay to have it reslabbed if it matters to you.

But returning it seems like a pretty solid option.